Does Australia really need 3 Time Zones?

Each state government does basically what the majority of It's people want. I can't see how what one state does affects what others do though it might be nice if they were all the same but I accept if I ring Perth I allow 2 or 3 hours. or 10 hours if I ring England. There's NO point having daylight saving in winter in higher latitudes as in very high ones you don't have any daylight to save.  The sun hardly pops above the horizon and everybody goes a little crazy after a few months.  It's maybe convenient to have Broken Hill on the same time as SA but it wouldn't be the end of the world if it wasn't.  Yes the modern cars are a pain to change the time or adjust it. Same as zero ing the tripmeter and you have to sell the car before the Nav system is not supported by the Maker of the car  They sure have you by the s#**t and curlies with modern cars. They go good though (while they are going) Nev

"2. Queensland is the one state which gets out of synch every summer and confuses the most people."

?,  If the rest of Australia  Didn't alter  their clocks to suit the state government,

There would be NO confusion.

Or problems altering integrated car clocks. And other technology that needs adjustment twice a year.

IF you feel the NEED to get up earlier, PUT the alarm on an hour earlier.

If I NEED to talk to England/ Ireland (on the phone (while iv'e got it))  I get up early in the morning .

spacesailor

The best thing to reset your circadian rhythm is be outside for a few days. and be exposed to the natural sun cycles.  and sleep accordingly.  Arc to time with longitude. I hour equals 15 degrees. Nev

• Agree 1

In a day of 24 hours the earth makes one complete turn of 360 degrees. This means that time can be measured in degrees. At noon the earth has turned 180 degrees. Each degree is divided into 60 minutes, and each minute is divided into 60 seconds.

spacesailor

You could set 3 time zones and people in between would still start their own local time zones, just as the Nullarbor people set their own time zone, because they reckon they're too far out of kilter with Perth or Adelaide.

Warakurna and Giles run on CST, even though they're well inside the W.A. border, and should be on WST.

Yes. There are the extremities that operate in different time zones. Norfolk Island UTC + 11, Cocos Islands UTC + 6:30, but compared to the population of continental Australia, the populations of these places are minuscule. Norfolk Island 1748 residents, Cocos Island approximately 600 residents. A single time zone for Australia would hardly impose problems on these places.

The other argument has been related to the North-South differences in length of day.  That is a fact that no amount of juggling with clock settings can alter. 

The only possibility of it being implemented is under a dictatorship (which may not be far off).

Check out old atlas maps of world time zones. The USSR was an hour ahead of everyone else for decades after daylight saving was implemented, possibly during The Great Patriotic War". I suspect the bureaucrats in charge of changing the clocks back one hour either went to the Gulags or were too chicken to mention the anomaly to their masters.

I did the Trans Siberian back in the mid 1970s.  It was a hoot.

The first morning out (of Nahodka, as Vladivostock was a Naval base, we couldn't depart from there), us Westerners rolled into the Diner at approx breakfast time.  It was like Melbourne used to be on Sundays in the 1950s.  Eventually one of the train staff ambled in and asked (in Russian) "What are you doing here?"  or words to that effect.  We had no Russian so we responded in English "Its breakfast time, we're hungry."  Staff, who had no English back then said something unintelligible and wandered off.  We couldn't work that one out.

About 15 minutes later a fellow in his 40s rolled up and asked us in accented English "What did we want?"  We told him breakfast, as it was morning time.  He "gravelled" (and it you have heard native Russians speaking, that's what it sounds like) to the Staffer, who responded.  He then said "Russia is very large and has 11 Time Zones, so to make it easy for everyone, all Meals are on Moscow Time."

Us "Okay so when can we eat?"  Fellow "Its all up there with a the timetable and menus" pointing to a small sheet in a frame on the wall.  So went over to read it.  The bloody thing was in Cyrillic.

It turned out that had we rolled in about 3 hours earlier, we could have had the evening meal.  And breakfast wasn't for another 8 or so hours.

By Day 3 (of 10) they were serving meals according to how the day was progressing, not according to what time it was in Moscow.

The "fellow in his 40s" was a Jugoslav Diplomat returning from a posting in the East.  He was good for information about Russia and how it actually worked.  And some black market currency exchanges as he did 3x the official rate Roubles for USD.  The Russians had it on parity.  The rest of the world didn't.

• Informative 2