What is It?

myshed2

That very much resembles the safety cables/snubbers around my landing gear legs. They're supposed to keep the gear legs from collapsing in the event of the bungees failing. I agree they seem tooDSC01661.thumb.JPG.82ae3e3809689c299c4b5ba916053163.JPG small to do the job, but that's what came with the plane...

Here is another "whats this" (the cable not the tape!) found in the hangar today and have no clue what it is off.

[ATTACH=full]52411[/ATTACH]

"I've read that Rotax carbs are not clamped to their rubbers so that they are dislodged by wild engine vibrations, automatically cutting off their fuel. "

Koreelah, Rotax Carbs fit to their boots exactly the same as a jab carb, if it had no clamp it would get thrown off every start

they do get thrown off sometimes, I've had it happen, but that is only because of the very violent shakes they sometimes exhibit with bad starts on a cold unbalanced engine installation with no airbox supporting the intake end of the carb as in Skyrangers etc

Edited by Red

Brinky, I have similar safety straps on my bungee gear and also they seem completely inadequate...in fact

http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/2015/Magazine/Oct/safety_spot.pdf

though tbh the strap does seem heavier gauge than the one in the OP

Thanks for the LACA article--makes me glad I at least replaced the original bungees during my post-purchase overhaul. They weren't visibly worn, but 15 years on... I'm upgrading to wider gear legs this year, I will be sure to upgrade the safety cables as well!

• 4 weeks later...

Well three months later and none the wiser as to what the object I found under my plane was, I had all but given up and was trying my hardest to convince myself that it wasn't from the plane. Quite by accident today I identified the object. Its a clip that fits inside the distributor rotor. Moral of the story (well one of them) if you pry off the rotor of your Jab 2200 (which should have been glued to the shaft) make sure the clip comes off with the rotor. Dave

1690761867_20200518_2056441.thumb.jpg.67d68d2d7ea07b679fbd80a5a4bb25a7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative 2

That very much resembles the safety cables/snubbers around my landing gear legs. They're supposed to keep the gear legs from collapsing in the event of the bungees failing. I agree they seem too[ATTACH type=full" alt="DSC01661.JPG]52476[/ATTACH] small to do the job, but that's what came with the plane...

The one in the pic looks like a retainer for a oil cap or pip pin as used on many aircraft. If you zoom in on this image you will see at least four of them... https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/58/ILA_2018%2C_Sch%C3%B6nefeld_%281X7A5375%29.jpg

Looking at the swages, one would have to be a special type of genius to expect it to hold the landing gear in case of bungee failure. Those ones need proper swages.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Regarding those cables with the bungee suspension - they're not there in case the bungee fails, they're not strong enough to hold the gear legs if the bungee had failed.

They actually act like the 'bump stops' on vehicle suspension, they limit the amount of stretch of the bungees, and by doing that they prevent the bungees being overstretched and then failing as a result of the overstretching. On some aircraft they also limit the amount of suspension travel so as to prevent a prop-strike on the ground in event of a hard landing.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Regarding those cables with the bungee suspension - they're not there in case the bungee fails, they're not strong enough to hold the gear legs if the bungee had failed.

They actually act like the 'bump stops' on vehicle suspension, they limit the amount of stretch of the bungees, and by doing that they prevent the bungees being overstretched and then failing as a result of the overstretching. On some aircraft they also limit the amount of suspension travel so as to prevent a prop-strike on the ground in event of a hard landing.

I think older LandRovers had canvas looking straps on the back axle (limiting vertical movement) for a similar reason - not convinced that it was an effective strategy in this application.

• Agree 1

They seemed to work when I saw it happen on an Auster...... :oh yeah:

• Haha 1