Return to flying creating a few incidents?

Seems that the opening up of the skies to light aircraft flying has resulted in a few incidents last few days. At my airport a few near misses and a engine out flip on landing this morning (Huntly c172 pilot OK). Was thinking could this be rusty pilots or rusty engines/ rusty fuel issues.?

• Informative 1

Seems that the opening up of the skies to light aircraft flying has resulted in a few incidents last few days. At my airport a few near misses and a engine out flip on landing this morning (Huntly c172 pilot OK). Was thinking could this be rusty pilots or rusty engines/ rusty fuel issues.?

Personally I think it just a few pilots that didn’t get is exactly right at the time of the issue.

Not in any way having a go at them just sometimes being human and under pressure things don’t go as planned.

I know it means spending some money that could be tight, but 1/2 hour to an hour with an instructor might be prudent. I found it reassuring to have one next to me after 6 months since flying. Only once did he hover on the controls, but left me to it. I will feel more confident on my next outing which I will make sooner rather than later.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I know it means spending some money that could be tight, but 1/2 hour to an hour with an instructor might be prudent. I found it reassuring to have one next to me after 6 months since flying. Only once did he hover on the controls, but left me to it. I will feel more confident on my next outing which I will make sooner rather than later.

It's a good idea to have at least a current pilot on board when you haven't driven a plane for a while. Doesn't have to be an instructor just another set of eyes?

• Like 1

There was a Stearman over me this arvo. You can't beat the sound of a lazy Radial. .

IF you are going to have another pilot with you just MAKE SURE everyone knows who is the PIC. 'I thought you HAD it" isn't good enough and "one ship one captain" applies...Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

BOTH must be in NO doubt and it must be agreed. An owner and builder of a one off and fairly rare and complex plane may be more suitable. Not sure recency has to be the preeminent factor. If it's a legal question then the flight can only be done with recency conditions satisfied by whoever signs the flight plan or under a dispensation. sim can satisfy recency in some circumstances.. Nev

If there had of been liquid in the tanks instead of air we wouldn’t be reading about it.

Amazing that the thing you have most control over is often the thing that puts you in the news.

Should never happen, naughty aeroplane how dare thee run out of fuel.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The pilot in command is one of the things I have seen in the new VFG handbook. It is now spelled out by CASA. Must be agreed before take off.

• Like 1

IF you are going to have another pilot with you just MAKE SURE everyone knows who is the PIC. 'I thought you HAD it" isn't good enough and "one ship one captain" applies...Nev

Agree. Doesn't matter if you are both high hrs ATPLs, or both low time PPLs, or RPCs : the unwritten rule was to both agree on who was PIC/PF, and who was effectively the observant 2nd pilot. Many, many accidents in sophisticated twins flown by professional crew have been due to a 'too casual' approach to who was doing the actual flying. And, what was intended to be flown.

No excuses however for an instructor flying RHS who fails to raise the command issue with an already qualified pilot. It should usually devolve to who has the most recency on that aircraft or that type.