What's the most difficult or interesting airstrip you have landed at?

Admin

On 19/11/2020 at 6:33 PM, poteroo said:

Ompkali, Eastern Highlands, PNG (1969) in PA-23-250Turbo C.  Twas around 15% and absolutely no go round off final. Over 5000'if I remember.  Talair used to fly C402s and Barons into there. Needed near full power to get up the last bit onto the ledge that served as the parking area.

The other frightener was Keglsugl, 8400 amsl and the highest strip in PNG.

PNG - Keglsugl & C180 in 60s.jpg

PNG - Ompkali, 14%, closed in 70's.jpg

Amazing! 

On 19/11/2020 at 1:03 AM, poteroo said:

Ompkali, Eastern Highlands, PNG (1969) in PA-23-250Turbo C.  Twas around 15% and absolutely no go round off final. Over 5000'if I remember.  Talair used to fly C402s and Barons into there. Needed near full power to get up the last bit onto the ledge that served as the parking area.

PNG - Keglsugl & C180 in 60s.jpg

PNG - Ompkali, 14%, closed in 70's.jpg

Sheer luxury

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is an interesting one. Don't know where it is. This is a still from a Facebook video. No url so I can't link it. The plane arriving uphill is a Cessna 208 Caravan. It turned around on the piano keys and departed back the way it came. Nice and straight, heh?

1443123230_bentrunway.thumb.JPG.21dd774562e86f6f163ce4a365f71b2d.JPG

• Like 1

All I got was the glum face because I am not on twitter., but I think it might be the same one I got the above stillframe from, the poster's name looks the same. Paused the video and used Snipping Tool to get the image above.

Peter, I'm not on Twitter either - but the link to the Twitter posting works just fine for me. I'd suggest the browser you're using, or your anti-virus, is stopping you from accessing Twitter.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, poteroo said:

Many interesting PNG aviation stories here in Keith Jackson's "PNG Attitude" blog - a talk shop for old PNG hands. 

https://www.pngattitude.com/aviation/

including this recent snippet about Kegsugl: 

"Keglsugl airstrip was closed down, however the former member for Kundiawa/Gembogl, Tobias Kulang, rebuilt the airstrip for eco-tourism especially those who want to climb Mt Wilhelm.

The airstrip will be open at any time. Its known to be the second highest airstrip in the world.

Posted by: Philip Kai Morre | 12 September 2020 at 07:43 AM"

Also an amazing tale by Bryan McCook about the Tauta air crash of  1964.

(Published some years ago in PPrune).

Do you have any first hand recollections of this Poteroo?

6a00d83454f2ec69e2026bde8fc28a200c.jpg.4038c32b5ab1985d1b7e1e7d4595f44c.jpg

The Dornier DO27 that crashed when its engine failed after taking off from Tauta

6a00d83454f2ec69e2026be40e9142200d-320wi.jpg.f3add781a8d1ca6fc76097c01df5a1a5.jpg

Edited by Garfly

Tabletop in NSW just near YMAY now closed, My brother used to own a farm north of the APM plantation. Over the Ettamoga pub on downwind high tension wires on aproach a bit short and a bit uphill. Total length measured 400 yards 15ft wide. Side slip down final to touch down on the flat bit then curve left around the big gum tree up hill to a big spoon drain then into the cattle yards. A one way strip that you have to pay attention to. Landed there many times in the Skyfox 

• Like 1