light plane crash north of Canberra - 13 April 2021

I saw a similar operation in effect south of Canberra couple of years ago. I would describe what I saw then as extreme maoeuvering with very minimum altitude. Very risky. Don

Edited by Methusala
Spelling
  • Informative 1

Unfortunately there are two deceased !   We all know low and slow .......... your pushing the envelope !

Doesn't matter  if it's mechanical or human failure.

My deepest condolences to all family involved !  

We all put our faith in our abilities and the the Aircraft that we fly to keep us safe.

RIP...... clear skies

• Agree 2

Very sad to hear two people lost their lives while doing their day job.

I always thought they used helis exclusively for line inspections. That would seem the safer option as helis can fly slower horizontally than fixed wings and forward airspeed is not critical. I have done a bit of flying around a point, whale watching and photographing landmarks etc and I'm always paranoid about my airspeed. It's very easy to get distracted positioning and lose focus on the airspeed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I did my flying with young Tom (18)  he was the observer on the plane having just been  certified for it and he was so excited to get a "start".. Both Hayden and Tom were excellent pilots.  Tom and I had just been to Temora airshow and I always felt safe and confident in his ability even for a person so young.. He wanted to  do AG Flying and was trying to talk his brother and dad into buying a plane ...

Lovely family from Corryong... sadly missed all ready.

RIP-Tom.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

50 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

Flying powerlines has been done for many years. I would consider an Ag rating the minimum training. Was this an RAA aircraft? 

Tom was the observer..it was vh registered. Pilot was commercial... both great young men.

• Agree 1

We had breakfast at the Tumut Aero Club on Sunday. These 2 men had spent a week based there. Reports were that they were very nice fellows. Always such a waste and a tragedy. IMO powerline surveys should be helicopter or drone based activities. Too dangerous for fixed wing.

Edited by Methusala
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1