Please Support Lismore Airport...

Munger

3 minutes ago, Flying Binghi said:

Just put up some wind power generators around the airport. Nobody will notice the aircraft noise then...🙉🤫

Forgot about them; they drive people nuts with their noise, would never be allowed in the cities.

4 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

Forgot about them; they drive people nuts with their noise, would never be allowed in the cities.

Nah... the Council will support it..😏

“...the Council engaged in the pretence of an investigation, sending one of its environmental officers to one of the complainant’s homes to “listen” to the noise for a few minutes and – rejecting a request to carry out indoor/outdoor noise measurements – claimed it was “not normal practice for Council to use noise level readings” to investigate noise nuisance complaints.

The Council claimed that all it had to do to satisfy its obligations under the Act was to send one of its officers to the complainants’ homes, listen for a few minutes (irrespective of whether the turbines were operating or not) and close the complaint.

Instead of carrying out anything like an investigation, the Council threatened the complainants that it would vigourously defend any legal action pursued by the complainants and chase them for the Council’s legal costs when it won. Otherwise, the Council simply ignored the complainants...”

https://stopthesethings.com/2020/08/25/victims-vindicated-farmers-victorious-in-landmark-legal-battle-over-wind-turbine-noise/

4 hours ago, Flying Binghi said:

What a complex subject! A possible solution would have been to buy up all the land around it, up to the edge of the noise complaints...

In terms of Aircraft noise, I see the biggest difference in having an established noise generator vs a new development. In terms of Lismore, we have substantially less noise than in the 80's and 90's, but the sensitivity to noise has substantially increased, especially by new member of the community who were never exposed to previous levels. All you have to do it look at what happened in the 2017 floods...new business owners in the CBD did not take it serious and post flood suffered the biggest losses.

The Public Health act is definitely something to consider though. If there is already a move against high amenity noise (can be very subjective, as Turboplanner pointed out), then ANY noise generating infrastructure is under thread.

I do agree that sometimes there is ways of mitigating issues, but in my experience with engineering, it's always a compromise. In the case of noise (being subjective) I fear that the compromise will not be logical and shared....God, I have turned into a cynic!

Relax - You've nothing to worry about!

If YLIS had a noise pollution problem https://lismore.nsw.gov.au/files/Fly-Neighbourly-Guideline.pdf was the response.

Air Services Australia would have been giving you a hard time by now if it hadn't gone away.

Closing a regional airport is a big deal - it's a strategic asset and the NSW and Federal Government would have something to say before they let a rogue council shut it down. Maybe have a whisper in your MPs ear? Who is the responsible Minister?

7 minutes ago, Ironpot said:

Maybe have a whisper in your MPs ear?

That would be Kevin Hogan MP....just checked out what he is at the moment: Minister for Local Government 🙂

I think he will need to be visited once the Covid restrictions in NSW are lifted....

4 minutes ago, Munger said:

That's what I warned you about Munger; suddenly information appears in publc which is not planning information, and you will finish up dealing with and emotional bushfire rather than an orderly planning process where the highest level decision-maker is the people's Tribunal.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

suddenly information appears in publc

I see your point. Unfortunately, us YLIS Aviators were too busy committing aviation until we were made aware of the March 2021 Draft Budget proposal...now it seem that every day we find stuff that has been out in the community for a while, creating this emotional anti-aircraft noise storm...

Counter attack by governance seems like a really good strategy into the future! Thank you for putting us wise to it, and I hope this will help others too in future.

One of the Lismore City councilors has made the following statement in an email:

"... There is much empathy with the residents affected by the noise of the touch and go and circuit training and I believe some want the airport closed as aviation is a significant user of fossil fuels."

This prompted me to have a look at the statistics and I was able to find some verifiable 2018 figures: Avgas was 0.15% of the total Road/Aviation fuel consumption in Skippiestan. Yes, Turbine Fuel was 22%, which admittedly, is a pretty significant figure...

Yet again, when the emotions run high, context and facts are obfuscated.

2018 Australian Annual Fuel Consumption by air and road transport type.JPG

• Informative 1

Morning All,

Does anyone know if an Airport or the decommissioning of a licensed airfield to unlicensed has an influence on the 'City' status of a town?

Hope you are all well!

19 minutes ago, Munger said:

Morning All,

Does anyone know if an Airport or the decommissioning of a licensed airfield to unlicensed has an influence on the 'City' status of a town?

Hope you are all well!

No it's  unrelated

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

The wingers are at it again in Lismore:

In regards to Training

Fri 29/4/22 4pm
Why is *** roaring over Lismore doing circuits at about 550ft and not within the fly neighbourly zone. This is really disrespectful to the flood victims of Lismore and unacceptable. As you well know your Beech Barons are extremely noisy and low circuits over our residences is really disturbing. Please ensure your pilots are familiar and compliant with the Fly neighbourly guidelines.

This is the same Judith who created an online petition which calls for State, Federal and local Council representatives to make some regulatory and practical changes - including the re-designation of the Lismore airport runway direction.

“Changing the runway direction from south to north will take the flights out west, and not over the residential areas of Lismore,” Judith said.

I'm glad there's someone out there that can accurately judge the height of an aircraft to be 550'!, even though she doesn't have a clue how circuit direction is determined. 

Nick 

34 minutes ago, nick_reese said:

The wingers are at it again in Lismore:

In regards to Training

Fri 29/4/22 4pm
Why is *** roaring over Lismore doing circuits at about 550ft and not within the fly neighbourly zone. This is really disrespectful to the flood victims of Lismore and unacceptable. As you well know your Beech Barons are extremely noisy and low circuits over our residences is really disturbing. Please ensure your pilots are familiar and compliant with the Fly neighbourly guidelines.

This is the same Judith who created an online petition which calls for State, Federal and local Council representatives to make some regulatory and practical changes - including the re-designation of the Lismore airport runway direction.

“Changing the runway direction from south to north will take the flights out west, and not over the residential areas of Lismore,” Judith said.

I'm glad there's someone out there that can accurately judge the height of an aircraft to be 550'!, even though she doesn't have a clue how circuit direction is determined. 

Nick 

Best not to provide written ammunition. Lismore from memory was a straight planning case. Freedom of speech allows anyone to be critical.

Freedom of Speech? Nah, this is just a winging Karen who believes she is right no matter what. Her 'group', with support from previous (now no longer on the council) councillors, previously tried to severely curtail aviation operations at Lismore. She set up a change dot org page and only managed 241 supporters - the Lismore Airport Business and Aviators Association countermanded this with a CDO page that received over 900 supporters - we also received a vast majority of support on a Lismore Council 'have your say' online petition. We helped to organise major political change on Lismore City Council that saw a whole lot of councillors swept away and replaced by a pro-business group who swept the board with a majority that was an historical victory. The Lismore aviation sector just got absolutely creamed by a massive flood that took out at least $3million worth of light aircraft. Half the hangars still do not have doors due to damage. We have one operator (apart from the chopper guys) who is up and running again, who is the object of this nutjob's nastiness. The flood creamed my office, my training room, my aircraft ended up wrapped around a tree, another one of our training aircraft was trashed, our hangar owner's house and hangar was completely wiped out, our nominated L2's hangar was creamed, the aero club was smashed with the loss of four aircraft and all training and office facilities, and this vindictive a-hole who did not have four feet of water through their house wants to complain because one of our operators has training up and running again. Go right ahead anyone who wants to be critical ... 

20220304_100345.jpg

aaa.jpg

20220407_102801.jpg

20220407_103216.jpg

20220407_103254.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative 4

Just checked the Planning status of Lismore Airport.

The proposed changes were first mentioned on this site on July 21 last year

On August 8 I found there was a Draft Lismore Regional City Action Plan (RCAP) which had placed the RCAP on exhibition from May 17, closing June 15.

Because it was critical for them to protect their interests with Existing Rights Use which they had at that time, I recommended the Airport people have a Planning Consultant make an urgent submission.

Lismore Regional City Action Plan (RCAP)  - August 2021 Report

Stakeholder Interviews and Meetings

·       Lismore Chamber of Commerce

·       Southern Cross University

·       NORPA and Arts Northern Rivers

(No Airport or Aviation interviews or meetings mentioned.)

Submissions

12 individuals

1 Interest group

1 Government Agency

(No names given)

Changes obtained during above process

Objective 5: “Land Uses should not be supported which compromise Important Farmland” s identified in the North Coast Regional Plan 2036.

Submission Summary

Airport 1 submission: “The Airport is not suitable as an airport facility due to the length of the runway location in a flood prone area and fog.”

Dept response: Addressed in Objective 5 which outlines the investigation of the airport as a potential training and export facility. An instrument landing system allows aircrafts (sic) to safely land during periods of low visibility. No change to Plan.

The final RCAP has now been released.

LISMORE REGIONAL CITY ACTION PLAN 2036

“Airport gets 14 mentions in the document (including indexes) including:

Item 2              Airport Industrial Estate

Page 13

“Support Employment and Industry growth of the Airport precinct through an Airport Freight and Logistics Masterplan.”

Page 30

“Investigate the potential for food, processing, packaging and distribution on employment land in proximity to Lismore Regional Airport.”

“Investigate the potential of the airport as a training and export facility that will promote development opportunities.

Page 31

Guide future growth of the Lismore Airport precinct via an Airport Freight and Logistics Masterplan

Result

The Lismore area Planning Scheme will have been updated, the new RCAP took effect when it was announced and the new clauses should be up on the Online Planning System now. The new Plan applies to 2036.

• Informative 1