VH- available marks

rodgerc

200 or so left listed, probably at least the same or more "reserved" but still, it's not a lot is it.

Imagine if all the RAAus and other organisations had to VH register too - we would have run out long ago.

ICAO has allocated VH to Australia, maybe beyond that, Australia can do whatever they like. AAA, go to four letters ABCD, it's a question I have often wondered about.

If we go to four letters, we may be able to have as much fun as say UK with examples like G-WHIZ, G-FORC, G-IDDY, G-RIDE.

VH-ELLO? Nah. VH-WIND. VH-FART. VH-ACDC! VH-STFU, VH-PIPR, VH-CSNA, VH-GROB, VH-ARRV, The world is our oyster!

I see New Zealand already has ZK, ZL and ZM available. Generally, they often do not display the ZK mark.

At Tauranga one year I saw MOM, DAD, SON, NAN, POP, SIS, (not sure about CUZ and BRO) all lined up.

Edited by 440032
  • Like 1

At the rate pilots crash their aircraft, there should be enough VH triple letters left, for a few decades yet. The main problem yet to be addressed, is when designers and developers come up with an affordable, commercially-viable, fully autonomous aircraft, that anyone can get airborne in - and the skies start to fill up with them.

8 hours ago, 440032 said:

Yes, good. And how would you repair the bullet holes?

CASA not interested in bullet holes, I reported to them about being shot at and getting damage to the aircraft.

All the bloke from CASA said was "Yeah, we used to get that all the time in Vietnam".

No follow up, no investigation. Police were the same, not interested. This happened in the early 2000's.

The number of available marks has increased by 24 in the past week. 

There are 15,863 marks on the search database out of around 17,500 possible combinations. That leaves 1,600 or so in the ether, so perhaps it’s not an imminent disaster. 

• 5 months later...

We ( the Adelaide soaring club ) made money from selling the rights to the "MPA" letters on a Callair to the Maningreda Progress Association  which I think is in Arnhem land.

I thought at the time they had too much money, well lots more than our club had anyway.

The Callair should have won a prize  for the ugliest looking tow plane ever.

13 hours ago, Bruce Tuncks said:

We ( the Adelaide soaring club ) made money from selling the rights to the "MPA" letters on a Callair to the Maningreda Progress Association  which I think is in Arnhem land.

I thought at the time they had too much money, well lots more than our club had anyway.

The Callair should have won a prize  for the ugliest looking tow plane ever.

$=?

Who approached whom? 

They approached us...  I think it was about 500 dollars for us with them paying for all the fees too.

The guy said to me..."I often get asked when that MPA plane is coming..." So he looked up the directory to find just where VH- MPA was.

Naturally, we didn't care just what the letters on the plane were. It was like a pawnee but uglier and it had a wooden mainspar with aluminium ribs.When new, it was the cheapest plane out there.

On 17/02/2022 at 1:27 PM, rodgerc said:

Only 78 VH- marks available now. 

75 on Friday...

Makes me think about what Puzzle Palace will do when that number drops to single figures, which could well be by mid-year!

I wonder if the homebuilt crowd is looking at the ever-reducing list and thinking "Bloody hell, I'm 18 months away from Phase 1, but I'll need a number, better grab one, any one, now!" . Seems to be going down around 12-15 a week, so could be less than a months worth of numbers left!

IF CAsA do go to 4 letters, I'm reserving VH-FARQ. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

1 hour ago, KRviator said:

I wonder if the homebuilt crowd is looking at the ever-reducing list and thinking "Bloody hell, I'm 18 months away from Phase 1, but I'll need a number, better grab one, any one, now!" . Seems to be going down around 12-15 a week, so could be less than a months worth of numbers left!

IF CAsA do go to 4 letters, I'm reserving VH-FARQ. 🤪

Those reading this forum will be. 

• Like 1