Here's a bit of (my) history.

red750

Going through a box of slides, I came across this photo of me preflighting a Piper Cherokee with my brother looking totally disinterested. That brother is now a retired Police Detective Superintendent.

1818481754_gregmeandpa28.thumb.JPG.12813bc48dfe84ecec884966318bab5d.JPG

• Like 9

Back in those days who did you study the theory with?

A few years ago I did a BFR with an old CFI and we both used the College of Knowledge. He was the best instructor I have ever encountered and I put it down to that training.

16 hours ago, red750 said:

Going through a box of slides, I came across this photo of me preflighting a Piper Cherokee with my brother looking totally disinterested. That brother is now a retired Police Detective Superintendent.

1818481754_gregmeandpa28.thumb.JPG.12813bc48dfe84ecec884966318bab5d.JPG

Snappy dress there!

2 hours ago, Yenn said:

Back in those days who did you study the theory with?

Don't recall their name. Classrooms on Glenferrie Road Glenferrie, near the old Hawthorn footy ground.

2 hours ago, Old Koreelah said:

Red is that a special axle joining the main wheels?

No idea Old K, I as only a fresh-faced 16 y.o. with a camera, hadn't had my first flight at that stage. Knew nothing about aircaft.

A few more in the box - Laverton air show, Canberra, Vulcan, Lightnings. Might be a couple of weeks before I can scan and digitise them. Also another one of the Mustang.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

45 minutes ago, facthunter said:

That bar is probably used so you can tow the plane on the ground and move it around. easily. Nev

Exactly what it was used for - I used to work in the hangar next door to Civil around that time. If I remember correctly that Mustang and another was flown by "Black Jack" McDonald and maybe Terry Brain (who ferried the Firefly in that now resides in the YMMB Museum).

Used to be a black Mustang too that Jack flew I think.

By far the best Mustang at YMMB was the one owned by Don Busch VH-DBB - sadly involved in an accident at YBDG in 1970. Don also owned a Chippie VH-DBS which was in beautiful condition.

• Like 1

I remember many years ago, around the late 50's or early 60's, there was a Mustang parked in front of a service station on the highway between Geelong and Melbourne. 

I was pretty young at the time but I think it was somewhere around Avalon on that side of the highway. Anyone know anything about it?

2 hours ago, rgmwa said:

I remember many years ago, around the late 50's or early 60's, there was a Mustang parked in front of a service station on the highway between Geelong and Melbourne. 

I was pretty young at the time but I think it was somewhere around Avalon on that side of the highway. Anyone know anything about it?

It was at the Shell servo at Laverton, but I don't know any of its history!

• Like 1

That's the one.  I have a vague recollection of being told that it was owned by the guy who owned the servo, but he'd lost his licence or maybe the plane was grounded but there was some reason he couldn't fly it, so he parked it out the front.

At one stage they were not permitted to be flown in Australia.  Same with Sea Furies. I looked at buying one for 400 Pounds with 4 hours on it at Tocumwal in the 60's. (Think it was in Pounds. ). Arnold Glass (a race car driver ) had a red one it think. Illawarra used a crappy one for Banner towing. Eric Greathead flew that. It "dropped' into West Maitland a few times. Only had water as coolant. Hard to train on single seat . Jack MacDonald flew up from Essendon to Mudgee to put on an aerobatic show I attended in the 60's. HE had a bit of a collection of desirable aircraft and mucked about with Historic Racing motorbikes if I recall correctly. 

3 hours ago, facthunter said:

I looked at buying one for 400 Pounds with 4 hours on it at Tocumwal in the 60's. (Think it was in Pounds. ). 

Based on 1960 values, that's about $12,500 in today's money according to Google. Bargain!!