VFR>>IMC • Immediate 180?

Garfly

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

Relying on an autopilot is not good aviation management. Get some under the hood instruction and learn how to deal with a possible whiteout situation from using a basic panel. The instruments don't need to be TSOed to work well. I have not found any that don't other than phone apps which can be really good or rubbish.

I'd arguethat's what it's there for, managing workload. Using it to reduce workload is good management.  In this scenario,  I'd back an autopilot over a surprised and un trained pilot. By this point our intrepid aviator needs any help they can get to be able to get out safely.

If it's a newer raa plane with g3x and autopilot it's a fantastic digital autopilot and the reason they have that blue button on the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Sure use the AP if it is there. A good instructor would not just be using this as the only option. The student should be shown how to fly the aircraft as if the AP isn't there as well. Maybe the instructor doesn't know either. If that is the case there is a serious issue with our instructor endorsement process.

Good stuff here guys. I especially like how doom and gloom ( 178 seconds to live stuff ) has been balanced with real experience.

Bohli compasses were banned by the GFA for competition gliding because people had learned to use them to cloud fly.

There is actually more cloud flying among gliders than is admitted to. On a good day, the cu's are concave and the best lift may be at cloudbase. It has been known that working this lift, then straightening out on track, involves flying through some cloud. Very safe if done carefully.

Personally, I didn't do this but sped up to stay under the cloud...   and I never won a nationals.

Here's the deal...  clouds are not all  the same!  I seriously recommend deliberately flying into some safe little ones at a safe height and speed. The only danger ( apart from getting caught ) is overspeed of the aircraft. But a smallish cu does not extend vertically enough for an initially sensible-speed plane to get to wings rip-off speed, even if you lose it and do a spiral dive.

When I was doing my RAA Nav endorsement, my instructor would put the hood on me and make me fly around for 10-15 minutes on instruments only, changing course at least 2 -3 times. He would then remove the hood and ask me to find our location.

Not part of the RPC Nav course, but something he felt was worthwhile doing and only took 10-15 minutes out of our 2-3 hour flights.

• Like 4