Sourcing Coolant Hose

Hey all,

So I have searched the forum and can't really get the info I need, so I am asking in the hope that someone can point me in the right direcion.

I am in the middle of rubber replacement and I need 2 lengths of coolant hose.  From the Radiator back to the motor.  Both have a 90 Degree bend in them.  I have tried a number of the usual suspects (Auto supplies and motor cycle shops etc) and come up dead - mainly because it appears to have about 19mm inside diametre.

Any clues?

Cheers all

I usually get a couple of 3/4" heater hoses that have the required bends in them, then cut them up for the sections I need. My installation (Tecnam P92) has only short hoses with steel pipe between, so relatively easy to get suitable hoses. Do you need a long hose with a 90deg bend?

Look on eBay Australia for "Silicone hose 90° 19mm" - or "Rubber hose 90° 19mm" - or on sites such as Sparesbox.com.au. Silicone hose is infinitely more durable than rubber, but it doesn't like being in contact with petrol.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=silicone+hose+90°+19mm&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=Silicone+hose+90°&_osacat=0

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=rubber+hose+90°+19mm&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=rubber+hose+90°&_osacat=0

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/search?Category[0][0]=Engine%2C Cooling %26 Drivetrain&Category[1][0]=Universal Fittings%2C Hoses %26 Accessories

Automotive Superstore is another useful supplier - although their site search engine is utterly useless and designed by clueless IT people.

However, if you type "hose" into the search menu, the drop down menu that appears has the choice of "radiator hose" or "silicone hose". You can't search by hose diameter though, you have to just scroll through the results.

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/

Edited by onetrack

This topic has been exhaustively discussed in the past.

I use Gates hose, supplied by Repco.

Every application is different however you might find that Holden Gemini (pre bent 90 degrees) hose will do the job for you. 

You will almost certainly have to trim to fit whatever hoses you purchase. Get a proper hose cutter to do a neat/accurate job -something like this cheap one does a great job (a little silicon on the blade helps).

image.jpeg.f5012cca52496d56f9d759f53a331a4c.jpeg

I also purchased Gates radiator hose joiners (through Repco)

GATES Part # 28603

{1/2" - 1/2" Plastic Hose Connector}
Category: Hose Straight Connector

GATES Part # 28623

{1/2" Elbow Plastic Hose Connector}
Category: Hose Elbow Connector

Be sure to use the correct hose clamps. Smooth edges and surface worm drive - not the serrated drive jobs OR invest in s-l96.jpg (Norma Constant Tension) but you will need the applicator pliers to go with them.

15 hours ago, pluessy said:

I usually get a couple of 3/4" heater hoses that have the required bends in them, then cut them up for the sections I need. My installation (Tecnam P92) has only short hoses with steel pipe between, so relatively easy to get suitable hoses. Do you need a long hose with a 90deg bend?

Hi Pluessy,

I need two lengths about 30cm long or so, from the radiator (with the 90 degree) and then one small bit that goes from the coolant bowl to the thermostat. 

14 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

This topic has been exhaustively discussed in the past.

I use Gates hose, supplied by Repco.

Every application is different however you might find that Holden Gemini (pre bent 90 degrees) hose will do the job for you. 

You will almost certainly have to trim to fit whatever hoses you purchase. Get a proper hose cutter to do a neat/accurate job -something like this cheap one does a great job (a little silicon on the blade helps).

image.jpeg.f5012cca52496d56f9d759f53a331a4c.jpeg

I also purchased Gates radiator hose joiners (through Repco)

GATES Part # 28603

{1/2" - 1/2" Plastic Hose Connector}
Category: Hose Straight Connector

GATES Part # 28623

{1/2" Elbow Plastic Hose Connector}
Category: Hose Elbow Connector

Be sure to use the correct hose clamps. Smooth edges and surface worm drive - not the serrated drive jobs OR invest in s-l96.jpg (Norma Constant Tension) but you will need the applicator pliers to go with them.

I called both Repco and Supercheap. Both said they don't have anything appropriate - hence why I came here.

The search results I got on the forum where quite old, so I asked the question.

I use the Constant Tension clamps.  They hold niceley, and I have a hose cutter too.  Great tool to have.

Hi BirdDog have you measured the nipples, as Rotax radiator for coolant is usually 25mm between the radiator cap resivour, radiator and pump.  The other coolant hoses are the smaller size i.d.  

For bends best to attend at shop and sort through the coolant hoses.  Then make note for future buying.  A lot of ford hoses are 25mm, if that is the size you actually need.  Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Hi BirdDog have you measured the nipples, as Rotax radiator for coolant is usually 25mm between the radiator cap resivour, radiator and pump.  The other coolant hoses are the smaller size i.d.  

For bends best to attend at shop and sort through the coolant hoses.  Then make note for future buying.  A lot of ford hoses are 25mm, if that is the size you actually need.  Cheers.

Yeah man!!  Mine appear to be all 19mm ID.  

On 03/04/2022 at 9:31 AM, BirdDog said:

I called both Repco and Supercheap. Both said they don't have anything appropriate - hence why I came here.

The search results I got on the forum where quite old, so I asked the question.

I use the Constant Tension clamps.  They hold niceley, and I have a hose cutter too.  Great tool to have.

Don't tell me - You let slip the hose is for an aircraft ??????

I have a 30 year relationship with my local Repco - the last of the origination service people (Dave) is terrific. Don't know what I will do when he retires. Font of knowledge. On the rare occasion, doesnt know, he will find out for you, even if it doesnt result in a sale for him.

Believe me,  Repco have the Gates agency, so they will have or be able to get, what you want. May be try another Repco store. If they ask whats it for - tell them its for a pump (true an air pump) you are building/repairing/servicing/whatever just not an aircraft (until you have built a relationship)

On 03/04/2022 at 9:56 AM, BirdDog said:

Yeah man!!  Mine appear to be all 19mm ID.  

When did Rotax go to 19mm ID radiator hose? - mine is 25mm (1")

On 03/04/2022 at 9:27 AM, BirdDog said:

Hi Pluessy,

I need two lengths about 30cm long or so, from the radiator (with the 90 degree) and then one small bit that goes from the coolant bowl to the thermostat. 

What is a "coolant bowl" ?

Hey Skippy.

Spent another hour in there with them this morning, and again left empty handed.  No.  Never mentioned an aircraft.  They basically told me that unless I know the exact Gates part, they can't help me.   So I would have to sift through the catalogue and then give them a part, and they can order it in.  Best they can do.

We put a gauge on the hose this morning - 21mm (but slightly expanded because of the nipple) I am going to cut this one in half and measure it where the nipple has not stretched the tube.

Coolant bowl (or whatever its called) is what the radiator cap screws on to.

3 hours ago, BirdDog said:

Hey Skippy.

Spent another hour in there with them this morning, and again left empty handed.  No.  Never mentioned an aircraft.  They basically told me that unless I know the exact Gates part, they can't help me.   So I would have to sift through the catalogue and then give them a part, and they can order it in.  Best they can do.

We put a gauge on the hose this morning - 21mm (but slightly expanded because of the nipple) I am going to cut this one in half and measure it where the nipple has not stretched the tube.

Coolant bowl (or whatever its called) is what the radiator cap screws on to.

Inexplicably Rotax call this the expansion tank - Rotax 9's dont have an expansion tank.

Did you try for a Holden Gemini radiator hose?

41 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Inexplicably Rotax call this the expansion tank - Rotax 9's dont have an expansion tank.

Did you try for a Holden Gemini radiator hose?

Hmm.. I would have thought the expansion tank would be the plastic bottle attached to the firewall.    Or do they call that the overflow!  LOL!

Have not been able to try anything as Repco have had nothing even close.

36 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

Hmm.. I would have thought the expansion tank would be the plastic bottle attached to the firewall.    Or do they call that the overflow!  LOL!

This is the 912 expansion tank.  The outlet on the right side  (yellow plug) is 25mm and goes to the radiator and the others plumb to the engine heads and are the smaller size.  This is why I asked if you have the 25mm size that your chasing for a usual rotax radiator setup.

Cheers

05029.jpg

Edited by Blueadventures

37 minutes ago, BirdDog said:

Yep, plastic on firewall is overflow collector bottle.

Gates Automotive Catalogue (pdf) - https://www.gatesaustralia.com.au/~/media/files/gates-au/automotive/catalogues/hose-application-catalogue-aus-nz-january-2018.pdf

Gives you shapes & dimension.

For ID 25mm, elbows -  try Holden Drover (Suzuki Sierra) Page 107 Part Nos 02-1011, 02-1012, 20-1013

Edited by skippydiesel

When I did my rubber replacement, I took my existing hoses to all the auto parts stores to try and match them. I still ended up buying a couple of hoses I didn't use. The retailers are usually pretty good at taking them back if you haven't modified them.
For Rotax engined planes, you might have to
A) buy OEM hoses from the manufacturer or
B) make a new setup with pieces of hose and home made joiners made from lengths of 25 mm tubing.
Plumbing anything, but especially airplane coolant systems is the worst task you can take on. Nuthin' fits nuthin'!

2 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

When I did my rubber replacement, I took my existing hoses to all the auto parts stores to try and match them. I still ended up buying a couple of hoses I didn't use. The retailers are usually pretty good at taking them back if you haven't modified them.
B) make a new setup with pieces of hose and home made joiners made from lengths of 25 mm tubing.
Plumbing anything, but especially airplane coolant systems is the worst task you can take on. Nuthin' fits nuthin'!

One big point ;

Item B - I strongly suggest you do not go down this rout. Gates make very good 'plastic" light weight,  hose connecters, in diameters suitable for your hose (as mentioned previously ). These connecters are designed for high temperature fluids & hose security. 

We are talking aeroplanes here - not ground based equipment/vehicles. 

For many Rotax 9/radiator set ups it is nearly impossible to purchase a single hose connection for each of upper & lower (minimum 4 joins). Most often one hose must have a joiner (6 joins) often both (8 joins). Each join is a potential failure point - keep the number to the absolute minimum for your application.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, cscotthendry said:

Re 'B' agree and with home made in s/s best to place a few low height weld bumps to prevent slippage.    I myself now buy (pay the bit extra) for purpose made alloy joiners that have groves to prevent slippage.  Cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Re 'B' agree and with home made in s/s best to place a few low height weld bumps to prevent slippage.    I myself now buy (pay the bit extra) for purpose made alloy joiners that have groves to prevent slippage.  Cheers

Why alloy? - just sets your engine  up for a potential corrosion/electrolysis situation. Keep the number of different metals, in contact with the coolant,  to the minimum. All the more so when Gates make a range of "plastic" joiners designed for the environment/job?

1 minute ago, skippydiesel said:

Why alloy? - just sets your engine  up for a potential corrosion/electrolysis situation. Keep the number of different metals, in contact with the coolant,  to the minimum. All the more so when Gates make a range of "plastic" joiners designed for the environment/job?

Alloy heads so alloy, plus manufacturer of Skyranger provide a set of two alloy pipes so you just need the join hoses.  Other manufactures should do the same as it over time saves cost of the long runs of hose required 5 yearly and no hoses to flop around where ever not supported.   I have images of the pipes in the Nynja thread. 

2 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Alloy heads so alloy, plus manufacturer of Skyranger provide a set of two alloy pipes so you just need the join hoses.  Other manufactures should do the same as it over time saves cost of the long runs of hose required 5 yearly and no hoses to flop around where ever not supported.   I have images of the pipes in the Nynja thread. 

Alloy heads & alloy pipes but are they the same mix of alloy??? Even welding stainless steel with the correct rods can sufficiently change the mix to accelerate electrolysis.

I managed a fisheries reserch station years ago - amazing how electrolysis can "eat" ferrous metals & aluminium (alloy) boats. Even impellers on pumps just disintegrate after a few months. As far as practical we moved to plastics to reduce the cost of electrolysis.

Sure, the coolant we use in engines are supposed to prevent electrolysis but why make its job harder?

To date no electrolysis wastage or damage seen last 5 years and no reports with others advised by the manufacturer.  Areas were wastage or deposit accumulation will  / could occur is at all the  rotax engine coolant pipe ends, water pump, the expansion tank, the factory supplied long connection pipes.  To date nil so 'Castrol Radicool' is doing its job.  Coolant due for replacement in May so that will provide an opportunity to inspect the condition of the system pipework as hoses will be changed out on some of the hose connections and the Yes marine sector experiences a lot of such damage from a large variety of reasons and contributing causes.  Being a marine surveyor / marine engineer I have much direct experience and knowledge in this area regarding aluminium hulls and vessel fluid systems.

Just answering BirdDog's questions with information that may assist him with his current maintenance task.  Cheers.