Pilot threatens to crash into Wallmart

I don't understand how he managed to start and fly a twin engine aircraft if he wasn't trained as a pilot.  Guessing it's got constant speed props too?  I wouldn't be able to do that, at least not well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

He's going to wish he really was dead, when he gets the bill for the damage to the King Air!  :crying: 

I wonder how far off he was, from being shot down?? This is America, remember! Shoot first, ask questions afterwards!

Edited by onetrack
  • Agree 1

He was a maintenance / AME I read. So he would know how to make it do the required things, and had had some instruction. 

We all know, any idiot can get a plane off the ground and fly it in a circuit. It's another thing to land.

When I got up to the bit where it mentions he landed it with damage I wasnt surprised at that outcome.

• Informative 1

13 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I don't understand how he managed to start and fly a twin engine aircraft if he wasn't trained as a pilot.  Guessing it's got constant speed props too?  I wouldn't be able to do that, at least not well.

That often crosses my mind. RFguys answer covers this case but I suspect quite often it will be someone who has gotten really good in flight simulator. That would get them off the ground easily enough

• Like 2

If you don't have assymetric power a twin is not much different to a single. Just more knobs. Variable pitch is the same but you move 2 levers together. 2 throttles 2 pitch levers If you don't synchronise the pitch every one knows it but if they are pretty level you will get there. Some  planes have this stuff way out of alignment.( poorly rigged). Makes it fairly hard when you have 4 of them. Nev

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

17 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I'm sure a quick search on YouTube will provide a tutorial vid.
plenty of people uploading that stuff

I guess quite a few people have already forgotten about this guy (Richard "Beebo" Russell), and how easily he stole a Dash 8 and flew it around for hours, before he committed suicide in it.

He had no pilot training whatsoever, apart from what he learned from ground handling the aircraft, and some computer FS time.

The summary starting at around 23:44 is interesting, and it shows the distinct possibility that a lot of disturbed people are still slipping through aviation security systems - while those systems still treat every passenger as a potential terrorist, even though 99% of them, are no risk to aviation whatsoever.