Suspected tail-flutter downs Otter (DHC-3T) • US Sep. '22

Sorry, it must have been taken down for some reason.

It was a regular Blancolirio video.  It will probably re-emerge.

Here is Kathryn's Report of the same incident:

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/09/de-havilland-canada-dhc-3t-turbine.html

And here is one pertinent comment from the Blancolirio video:

Good video! As a young design engineer working at a major aircraft manufacturer, I had a friend ( older and more experience than me) who was in charge of the flutter model wind tunnel testing of the YC-15. One day he stopped by my desk and suggested I follow him to go watch a video of one of their tests. As I watched the video, they incrementally increased the wind speed while sending the horizontal stabilizer a "pulse" (literally pull a string that was attached to it) simulating a gust or other similar disturbance. Finally at one critical speed, the tail failed almost instantly. I couldn't actually see the flutter because it happened so quickly. When he re-ran the video in slow motion, we saw the pulse deflect the stab upward, and then it cycled down and up for about 2 or 3 diverging cycles, and then failed completely. Absolutely NO chance for pilot intervention. The results of this test had already resulted in design changes to stiffen the tail, so the first vehicle rolled out with the stronger tail already in place. That moment was one that will remain in memory and it gave me great respect for flutter for the remainder of my 43 year design career.

Edited by Garfly
  • Informative 1

FAA Emergency AD:

https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/DRSDOCID139391948320221005002535.0001

EXCERPT [click for full rez] :

image.thumb.png.316c2fe3fc9cc1cf23d0afdd5b62291d.png

FAA Under Scrutiny for Timing of DHC-3 AD

Transport Canada issued a similar airworthiness directive more than four years ago.

https://www.flyingmag.com/faa-under-scrutiny-for-timing-of-dhc-3-ad/

Edited by Garfly

16 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

Otter is a good machine, designed with the 1340 radial. The turbine pulls harder and flys faster than the radial ever did, this creates problems the designers didn't allow for.

Flutter occurs because of excessive airspeed (actual airspeed, not indicated airspeed). I could not work out how an established, old, slow design could get flutter. Looks like I just found out. 

• Like 2

Flutter also occurs when things get loose, working rivets, cracked parts or worn control rods etc.

The Vne on the turbine conversion DHC-3 was reduced from 180? to about 140knots because of earlier issues. The accident aircraft was not speeding.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

13 hours ago, facthunter said:

Some of that Maintenance is terrible  The structure has to remain firm and connections playless. Propwash causes vibrations too.. Do they use BETA? Nev

Depends on the engine fitted, Pratts yes, Garret not as much but still yes.

14 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

Flutter also occurs when things get loose, working rivets, cracked parts or worn control rods etc.

The Vne on the turbine conversion DHC-3 was reduced from 180? to about 140knots because of earlier issues. The accident aircraft was not speeding.

Having a lower VNE doesn't mean they will stick to it. The Drom conversions in Oz had a low VNE anyway but didn't stop people from flying around way beyond VNE. 

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/10/2022 at 5:48 PM, Thruster88 said:

Looks like our Thruster88 might have been barking up the right tree! 

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1