Microlight crash at Caboolture

I'm currently training with Mark Gentry of Caboolture Microlights at that field, though I wasn't there yesterday.  He hasn't replied to a TXT I sent him yesterday, which is unusual for him - I wonder if it was him with a student?

Very glad both are okay, in any event.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

It was mark and a student. Both are ok

A little while ago, you told me that an incident was my fault, not because it actually was my fault but because taking responsibility for everything that happens is a good mental habit. Taking responsibility to for everything that happens to you is a philosophy promoted by the stoics, Greek and Roman philosophers from antiquity. It's a good philosophy. For example, it is drivers' responsibility to stop for red traffic lights. There is no doubt about that. But you don't teach your kids to cross the road when the man turns green, you teach your kids to wait for the man to turn green, then check for traffic, then cross the road. Likewise, it is not a teacher's actual fault if a student does not do their homework, but if the teacher takes responsibility for the student not doing their homework, the teacher will be motivated to do a better job and thereby will do a better job of being a teacher. The take-home message is that the crash was your fault, Kyle, so what are you going to do about it? 

5 minutes ago, APenNameAndThatA said:

A little while ago, you told me that an incident was my fault, not because it actually was my fault but because taking responsibility for everything that happens is a good mental habit. Taking responsibility to for everything that happens to you is a philosophy promoted by the stoics, Greek and Roman philosophers from antiquity. It's a good philosophy. For example, it is drivers' responsibility to stop for red traffic lights. There is no doubt about that. But you don't teach your kids to cross the road when the man turns green, you teach your kids to wait for the man to turn green, then check for traffic, then cross the road. Likewise, it is not a teacher's actual fault if a student does not do their homework, but if the teacher takes responsibility for the student not doing their homework, the teacher will be motivated to do a better job and thereby will do a better job of being a teacher. The take-home message is that the crash was your fault, Kyle, so what are you going to do about it? 

I'm new to the forum, but it seems like you might be confused.  Kyle Communications - or anybody else here - didn't apportion any responsibility for anything at all, so it seems as if your comment is completely irrelevant.  Moving on.

I spoke with Mark this morning - minor injuries to him, slightly more to the student pilot.  Mark had yet to assess damage to the trike, but early indications were that the wing fabric SEEMED intact, but some damage to the wing spar(s), nose cone and possibly main mast might have been sustained.

12 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

An airfield as busy as this and no one knows what happened?

Mark did outline what happened, but I didn't want to convey to an open forum.  Incident upon landing, not caused by mechanical/structural failure.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, forsythem1972 said:

Mark did outline what happened, but I didn't want to convey to an open forum.  Incident upon landing, not caused by mechanical/structural failure.

I have seen the video from the cameras on the field...I agree to what you said Forsythem1972

You have to let the student go to a point where there is no doubt the scene is requiring of a take over but things can happen a bit quicker or more seriously that you  expect or it might be a gust that would have upset most people.. If students only fly in  calm weather they will be sitting ducks when that is not the case, This is a general comment but I used to consider it like "Pulling a Rabbit out of a Hat" sometimes. Nev

• Informative 1

At this stage the case of the accident is still being hidden so there's not much to gain with stories.

There was another case where a Drifter crashed on final killing both occupants. The cause of the crash was never publicly disclosed, but the pilot and passenger were seen fighting to grab the controls all the way to the ground. In this cause for all we know they could have been lightly gassed by exhaust fumes.

• Informative 1