ADS-B Grant

• 3 months later...
On 12/02/2023 at 10:02 AM, Bruce Tuncks said:

Gliders have a much higher risk of a mid-air because there can be many gliders in the same thermal. They use Flarms which are gps/computer radio tx and rx. They cost less than $1000 each.

Does anybody know the reason why they have been rejected by CASA? My personal opinion has been that flarms are just too cheap to be liked by bureaucrats.

Not that I have ever been near a mid-air myself, the sky is really big compared to our planes. Flarms sure do alert you to all sorts of things you never noticed before, so I suppose they are a good idea. 

In two mid-air collisions I know the details  of, they would have prevented one but not the other. ( the "other" was a gaggle of gliders which had left a thermal. they flew into what was probably just a hint of lift, it lifted the RH wing of one glider and the LH wing of the other, and they turned towards each other...  bang! )

The SkyEcho at a net $500 after Gov Rebate is a great option for Recreational Aircraft and Gliders. Half the cost of Flarm and will be seen by all those that have ADS-B in

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• 4 months later...

Just received my rebate for uAvionix tailbeaconX transponder and AV30C control head/EFIS. Removed the Vac system completely and saved 4.5kg. Stil use SkyEcho2 for traffic in on the tablet. It can see the tailbeaconX so a constant verification that adsb out and in is working. The AV30 is a beautiful little EFIS for those that like a traditional 6 pack, gives redundancy of airspeed and alt.

Still a few months left to get a rebate.

20240120_102930.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Just received my rebate for uAvionix tailbeaconX transponder and AV30C control head/EFIS. Removed the Vac system completely and saved 4.5kg. Stil use SkyEcho2 for traffic in on the tablet. It can see the tailbeaconX so a constant verification that adsb out and in is working. The AV30 is a beautiful little EFIS for those that like a traditional 6 pack, gives redundancy of airspeed and alt.

20240120_102930.jpg

Congrats!

I've heard rebate is applicable to transponder only, not av30 ?

Can you please confirm.

Also how many working hours ($) for installation? Ballpark figure is fine 🙂

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

20240120_102930.jpg

Damn  that's quite a weight savings 😲

Edited by danny_galaga

23 minutes ago, Bosi72 said:

Congrats!

Can you please confirm.

Thanks!

The Av30C is the control head for TBX; they function together as a unit. Uavionix Aus will better any advertised competitor price by 10% and provide fast technical support.

Av30C is required for IFR and Class C TSO compliance situations.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I got my TailbeaconX and AV30 package as well some time ago...its a nice bit of kit and yes you do get the rebate as the baro source required is in the AV30

Also there used to be a package for experimental...but the only version now for us at least to get is the full TSO'd version

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Bosi72 said:

Congrats!

Can you please confirm.

Thanks!

Installation and 100.5 checks cost $2200, total cost just over 10k so got 1/2 back.

My application number was 728 so a nice increase in equipped aircraft.  

Edited by Thruster88
  • Like 1

When I bought mine it was $8070 total price...I think they had a special on at the time. The GUBBERMENT gave me back $4035 in about 4 weeks. I was originally going to just get the TailbeaconX but the guy here told me I would then need my own barometric source for it. The source was in the AV30 plus it is a really great EFIS  and it was all TSO'd so bit the bullet and bought the lot. I am installing it myself of course as I am the builder and also a radio tech for 30 years so I filled out that paperwork for installer as myself and all went through without any questions

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kyle Communications said:

Wow time goes fast..I bought mine in Nov 2022

I know a new firmware has come out for the AV30 which I have to do yet

Expecting there will be another update for AV30C shortly to mirror latest AV30E, provides for Squawk code display on main pages and some improvements on internal mag stability. Always best to maintain the latest update; functionality is improved; its also a requirement for tso'd instruments to remain certified.

48A0015D-0B1B-4616-811A-273E9E1AE645.jpeg

Edited by Area-51
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have gone for the TailbeaconX and AV30C as well. Being installed next week. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. For me it killed two birds - my DG was dying so will use the AV30C as DG. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, IanR said:

I have gone for the TailbeaconX and AV30C as well. Being installed next week. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. For me it killed two birds - my DG was dying so will use the AV30C as DG. 

I have found the DG floats a little too quickly; it required constant monitoring every five minutes even with the latest update. Installing the AVMAG and splitting it between both heads rectified this totally; after 90 minutes and three inflight clearoffs DG is still aligned to mechanical compass.

2 minutes ago, Area-51 said:

I have found the DG floats a little too quickly; it required constant monitoring every five minutes even with the latest update. Installing the AVMAG and splitting it between both heads rectified this totally; after 90 minutes and three inflight clearoffs DG is still aligned to mechanical compass.

Thanks - yes got that feedback so I have ordered the mag as well