Hi everybody 

I have a Trig transponder in my plane. I believe this transmits as mode s. I don’t show up on Flightradar24. Am I able to use a sky echo2 as an extra safety device whilst the transponder is still switched to alt?

EC device transmission must be deactivated when used in an aircraft with an Extended Squitter (ES) ADS-B Out Enabled Transponder in use. The SkyEcho web based configuration page (198.168.4.1) allows you to turn off the transmit function while still being able to receive traffic for display on the compatible app.”

https://uavionix.com/products/skyecho/#faqs

• Informative 1

If your Trig does not have ES ADSB out then you can use both ADSB In & Out in the SE2. There are a number of reasons why you don't show up on FR24. One is that you are not transmitting 1090 ES ADSB Out so Mode S only. Another is that FR24 is filtering your transmission out. If you have a FR24 login & your Trig is transmitting 1090 ES ADSB Out you should be able to enable FR24 to see you via settings. Seeing you in FR24 will also depend on ground stations picking up the transmission.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, kgwilson said:

If your Trig does not have ES ADSB out then you can use both ADSB In & Out in the SE2. There are a number of reasons why you don't show up on FR24. One is that you are not transmitting 1090 ES ADSB Out so Mode S only. Another is that FR24 is filtering your transmission out. If you have a FR24 login & your Trig is transmitting 1090 ES ADSB Out you should be able to enable FR24 to see you via settings. Seeing you in FR24 will also depend on ground stations picking up the transmission.

Forgive my ignorance But how do I tell if my trig has ES ADSB out? 

thanks

The Trig Transponder is mode S and should have ES capability but not all do. The ADSB module is separate and also has an external antenna. Cost to add and install the ADSB module for a certified aircraft is about 6k. That's what it cost a local Mooney pilot for his anyway. The transponder is a Trig TT31. These cost around $US3000.00 plus GST & installation.

• Like 1

On 27/05/2023 at 9:08 PM, EyrekraftPylut said:

Hi everybody 

I have a Trig transponder in my plane. I believe this transmits as mode s. I don’t show up on Flightradar24. Am I able to use a sky echo2 as an extra safety device whilst the transponder is still switched to alt?

When flying local I don't show up on Flightradar 24 until I'm above around 4500 feet.

Edited by Kiwi

12 hours ago, EyrekraftPylut said:

Forgive my ignorance But how do I tell if my trig has ES ADSB out? 

thanks

Hi,

My Trig TT21 also is ADSB OUT capable, but is not connected to a certified GPS source as is required, and therefore is NOT transmitting ADSB OUT. I am sure you would know if yours was connected as it would have cost you about $3000 to have it set up (I was quoted that sort of cost). My Garmin Aera 500 is not a certified GPS source so it could not have been used, I would have had to buy a newer more expensive model.

Much easier and cheaper to buy a Skyecho2 and get the rebate - as I did. 

I show up on Flightradar24 due to the transponder. A few days ago I tracked one of my flights and it showed me from under 2000ft after takeoff right the way to my circuit at 2000ft at my destination.

BTW - if you do already have ADSB OUT then don't waste over $1k buying a Skyecho and turning half the functionality off, just buy a PingUSB ADSB IN device from uAvionix for under $400 (under $200 with rebate). All it needs is a small USB powerbank to power it, or connect it to your power accessory slot, and it displays the ADSB IN on your AVPlan/OZRunways. 

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

The rebate scheme was supposed to close on 23/5/23 or when the funds allocated ran out but has now been extended to 30 June 2024 so there is plenty of time left and I assume there is still plenty of grant money left in the bucket. I'd guess that the Trig you have doesn't have ADSB enabled so the most effective & cheapest option is to get a Skyecho2. Current price from Uavionix is $1070.00 so with the 50% rebate it will cost you $535.00 and you can take it with you if you sell your aircraft.

I saw a bunch of aircraft with ADSB out on my screen today. Most of these were GA training aircraft and they have ADSB Out only so they could not see me. Several were foreign students and understanding what they were doing is pretty difficult so it was good to see their position, what direction they were going and their altitude.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

22 hours ago, Neil_S said:

BTW - if you do already have ADSB OUT then don't waste over $1k buying a Skyecho and turning half the functionality off, just buy a PingUSB ADSB IN device from uAvionix for under $400 (under $200 with rebate). All it needs is a small USB powerbank to power it, or connect it to your power accessory slot, and it displays the ADSB IN on your AVPlan/OZRunways. 

Neil, I'd have guessed that the Ping being IN-only would not qualify for the rebate.  If that's the case, then I suppose you may as well go for the SkyEcho2 because you get IN and OUT for a similar price. (with the rebate). You can always switch off the OUT function when needed, plus, the SE2 being portable could come in handy when you switch to another aircraft, for instance.

Edited by Garfly

2 hours ago, Garfly said:

Neil, I'd have guessed that the Ping being IN-only would not qualify for the rebate.  If that's the case, then I suppose you may as well go for the SkyEcho2 because you get IN and OUT for a similar price. (with the rebate). You can always switch off the OUT function when needed, plus, the SE2 being portable could come in handy when you switch to another aircraft, for instance.

Hi Garfly,

I don't disagree - but probably worth giving uAvionix a call as I'm sure they would know if the Ping qualifies. You wouldn't want to spend $300+ more than necessary if it does. 

Cheers,

Neil

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, trailer said:

Who in Australia is doing the best price on a SkyEcho2?

I got mine via the uavionics .au , was maybe $100 lower than retailers at the time !    🤪

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cherk said:

I got mine via the uavionics .au , was maybe $100 lower than retailers at the time !    🤪

Me too - but prices change (read increase) quite frequently so I would suggest a quick Google of retailers followed up by phone call to cheapest to confirm. About 15 minutes work to possibly save quite a few bucks. Don't forget to see if their price includes free shipping (uAvionix did).

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Uavionix at $1,070.00 inc GST & freight is the best price. Next best is Mendelssonn at $1,095.00 plus freight & then  OzRunways at $1,195.00 inc freight.

eyirekraftpylut if your trig is adsb able you can add the tn72 gps source$750.00 plus the ta50 antenna 125.00 and a ping for adsb in 225.00.

$1100.00 all up and no need for extra devices this system works for me.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2023 at 9:08 PM, EyrekraftPylut said:

Hi everybody 

Make sure your Trig is set up with the right aircraft Id - ABC for GA or R1234 for RAAus and that you code the same into the SE2. FlightRadar24 can then see you properly and you can search it for your trips.  

Edited by coljones
Punctuation
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RFguy said:

If Trig is transmitting ADS-B, SE2 should be set NOT to transmit ADS-B and be in a receive only mode,
Which do you have ?

A given but the transponder and SE2 details should match, including the both Air raft Id and ICOA code, when the transponder has no ADSB-OUT and the SE2 IS transmitting.

• Agree 1