Quite a slight on our hobby 😡

Derek, Honestly I just don't give You tube much  credit in these matters. I've always had more credible sources of Information of  aviation incidents and development and I'm not subscribed to U tube. You could be correct. BUT Time is to precious for me to view all this stuff at my stage in life. Believe it or not I'm fairly flat out.  Thanks anyhow. Nev

• Like 1

This is going to go off track very quickly, so before it all gets shut down may I point out that there is no prerequisite for refugee to be poor. If you are escaping a war or really dire circumstances, the first people to do so are going to have money/connections. What would YOU  do to save your family, or better your life? Would you stay in a crappy situation and say 'oh no. You go first, you are poorer than me'?

A sri Lankan friend of mine said to me once you would be forgiven for thinking most Sri Lankans are Catholics. Because most of them are in Australia. But he said that's because Catholics tended to be better educated and got better jobs and were generally richer. And of course better connections. If your country was about to turn to shit, what would YOU do with your money and connections?

My father was a refugee. 

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 3
  • Informative 1

I'd just shut up about refugees; I have two relatives, one who served in the Navy and one who was a Flight Engineer on a RAAF Orion. Both got up close and personal with what some of these generally richer people did other refugees, some who were close family members, and both are suffering from PTSD.

• Informative 1

Regarding the DH Comet. The impression from the history we are give is that the Comet was the first aircraft with a pressurised cabin. While it is true that it was the first jet-powered commercial aircraft to have a pressurised cabin, the concept had been experimented with, and applied in several cases since the 1920s.

The aircraft that pioneered pressurized cabin systems include:

Packard-Le Père LUSAC-11, (1920, a modified French design, not actually pressurized but with an enclosed, oxygen enriched cockpit)

Engineering Division USD-9A, a modified Airco DH.9A (1921 – the first aircraft to fly with the addition of a pressurized cockpit module)[43]

Junkers Ju 49 (1931 – a German experimental aircraft purpose-built to test the concept of cabin pressurization)

Farman F.1000 (1932 – a French record breaking pressurized cockpit, experimental aircraft)

Chizhevski BOK-1 (1936 – a Russian experimental aircraft)

Lockheed XC-35 (1937 – an American pressurized aircraft. Rather than a pressure capsule enclosing the cockpit, the monocoque fuselage skin was the pressure vessel.)

Renard R.35 (1938 – the first pressurized piston airliner)

Boeing 307 Stratoliner (1938 – the first pressurized airliner to enter commercial service)

Lockheed Constellation (1943 – the first pressurized airliner in wide service)

Avro Tudor (1946 – first British pressurized airliner)

de Havilland Comet (British, Comet 1 1949 – the first jetliner, Comet 4 1958 – resolving the Comet 1 problems).

Those  are commercial aircraft, but there were several military aircraft with pressurised cockpit/cabins. A prime example is the B-29 Superfortress (think Enola Gay). One would have thought that the fatigue problem would have been sorted well before the Comet was designed. Note the rectangular windows on the Boeing Stratoliner

image.jpeg.0e4d76fecf3ad49a8c530504036a3c9b.jpeg

• Informative 1

There are higher risk activities and news worthy events, it's worth noting that the two are different.

GA flying is a high risk activity, as is scuba diving, motorcycle riding, drinking, smoking, taking IV drugs and obesity.

Dying of obesity or drug overdose  in your thirties or forties isn't a newsworthy event unless in connectivity with a priest or other luminary however any or all of you who have an incident associated with a plane will probably make headlines.

Where there's a business model where money can be gained by increased risk is where things tend to become a bit blurry. However the key thing associated with this endeavour is that it always was a high risk activity.

• It was an experimental one off design
  • It's continued operation clouded by economic gain by the operator.
  • It was operating in an environment where the materials science associated with its construction was poorly understood.
  • It carried people who may not have understood the risks, including the operator.

I'd like to see the analysis of why it failed and I'm saddened by the unnecessary loss of life. However it was and remains a very high risk activity, once they've done this 10000 cycles or have 50 units operational not so much.

I think that there's a significant different in risk between flying in an experimental one off design and proven designs vs general GA aircraft. There's a good article here however the bottom line is that the numbers are higher for experimental airplanes.

https://www.kitplanes.com/homebuilt-accidents-comparing-the-causes/

https://www.kitplanes.com/homebuilt-accidents-comparing-the-rates/

In terms of refugees, I'd like the world to have systems which ensured that people could escape political persecution. On the flip side maintaining high immigration during a housing crisis and period of high inflation seems ludicrous. The young pay with high interest rates on their mortgages. In association with this I'd like to see negative gearing on property removed, or at least on existing dwellings as this would also spread the pain across a greater segment of the population and deflate our overpriced housing market.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

If you have any kind of investments you reduce your income where you make losses same as a builder loses on some jobs, You only pay on what your NETT profit is with all applicable/related cost being deducted.  What else would be fair? Inflation should be deducted from Profit too, IF the system was fair dinkum. Nev

What could be FAIRER 

The fact my son inlaw , Pay's LESS INCOME  tax . ( negative gearing).

He buys a New Ute, and lawnmower,  as well as his fuel cost are covered .

Then all the interest on his loans ! , ARE 

TAX DEDUCTIBLE. 

We the highly Taxed owner occupier ,get NOTHING .

IS IT FAIR .

spacesailor

• Agree 1

I doubt those are LEGITIMATE deductions Spacey. They are tightening up on all that now. The interest  or cost of repairs on where he lives won't be deductible either same as yours isn't because it's not earning taxable income.  You are only a highly taxed owner occupier IF you enjoying a high  income.  Nev

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I'd like to see negative gearing on property removed, or at least on existing dwellings as this would also spread the pain across a greater segment of the population and deflate our overpriced housing market.

This was a stand alone political project where people who were provining for their own retirement, thus saving the government of the day giving them a pension, were given an incentive to negative gear, bringing more people into the market who bought houses, creating more affordable living for young people. When the investors died or were near enough they sold the house, and this fed the supply for those who'd saved enough by renting to buy their first house. It was a win win situation which gave the Federal Government more budget for pensioners..........................until it was tweaked.

It's about SUPPLY and DEMAND. BASIC marketing LORE Tweaking the Rukes is going to have unintended consequences. Build suitable FIRST houses and units. Owning a house can  a problem for those who move a lot. Owning one can be a dream alright but of the nightmare type. WE have the largest houses in the world About 4 times the size of the ones built just after the war when people didn't borrow all the capital and fund NEW furniture Curtains swimming pools and 3 car garages and ducted air-conditioning that gets left on(for the goldfish) during holidays in BALI. Nev

• Like 1

My soninlaw put the deposit's on at least four houses to lease them out. two in Melbourne and two in Brisbane ,

As all those were Not in his vicinity. He had to do the yearly inspection and maintenance by staying in a hotel with meals included .

When he returned to Sydney , all his receipts went to his Accountant .

Who promptly deducted All from Any tax he had from his Electrician business .

PS . He lived at \ with his parents . So not a lot of outgoing expense there . NOW is a GreyNomad . with two Sydney rentals supplementing his retirement 

AND Happy .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

Your second and third line are now subject to much more scrutiny than they have been in the past. I know people who bought rental places in mining towns and went stoney BROKE. I advised this particular person to not have ALL his eggs in the one basket but he ruined is life and is now dead and was not that old. .  Nev.

• Informative 1

Whereas the soninlaw in a happy camper ! .

Lived in Sydney & had houses in Melbourne and Brisbane.  NOT  all in that same basket.  LoL .

Sold four mortgaged houses , then bought two outright closer to home .

Another acquentance sold All his Sydney properties , then bought outright , 5 Hobart houses , were he currently lives, With his new yacht .

Only for the wealthy end of town ! .

spacesailor

When to buy and when to sell?  IF you have the house you live in and other houses as well, your Folio would not be considered by most to be very diversified. The person I mentioned further confined his investments by choosing MINING sites. FIFO by itself probably killed a lot of THAT off. .    Nev

23 hours ago, facthunter said:

If you have any kind of investments you reduce your income where you make losses same as a builder loses on some jobs, You only pay on what your NETT profit is with all applicable/related cost being deducted.  What else would be fair? Inflation should be deducted from Profit too, IF the system was fair dinkum. Nev

Though we're going a long way off topic.

You give tax breaks to industries you want to thrive and grow. Speculative buying and selling homes isn't an industry that produces anything apart from debt so we really shouldn't be encouraging it. There are no exports, no ongoing returns, no job creation, just debt and inflated asset prices. The Government has pumped lots of money, changing from a 3x to a 10x leverage policy in banking industry, effectively printing money and funnelling it into the economy through the banking system in the past few decades, however the vast majority of this money has been spent on property speculation so that banks property portfolio is now mostly housing their debt compared to 30% a few decades ago.

Lending money to businesses which make things creates a whole stream of beneficial effects such as ongoing employment and the growth of wealth. Lending money for housing just creates debt and isn't productive use of capital. In combination with reduced capital gains on property and negative gearing it has created a property bubble. Interestingly, by pumping money into the economy in this manner it has created a wealth transfer to the existing property owners on a scale which has never happened before,  basically house price values have simply soaked up the extra capital that's been made available.

This has created multiple issues, firstly this process has starved business of capital, it has made our finance systems exceptionally vulnerable to interest rate increases and inflation, and thirdly you have a younger cohort who instead of looking at 3x annual earnings to buy a house are looking at a 10x multiple.

This is one of the real reasons why very little  made in Australia. So in essence tax breaks should be to encourage investment in business, instead there's no capital gains or reduced capital gains on housing inflating the assets of those with zero ability, but a successful business owner will pay capital gains. It should be the other way around as massively inflated house prices are a drag on our economy. 

This is an interesting read "Bank Lending Behavior and Housing Market Booms: The Australian Evidence"

Edited by Ian
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

AND YET,  

This government has spent $ 75.1 MILLION on this ' voice properganda ' to ' Force ' us to vote the way They want .

No care for those that are homeless,  or WHERE could They do more GOOD for Australians in general ..

NO apartheid should be allowed in Australia. 

spacesailor

• Agree 1

On 30/06/2023 at 10:35 AM, danny_galaga said:

Wonder what he flew?

That's from the initial post.

The question was referring to a comment from the bloke who cancelled his ticket for the Titanic dive that proved fatal who said, "I'm a pilot, I have my helicopter pilot's license, I wouldn't get into an experimental aircraft,"  You have to read the linked article for the context of that statement. Quite simply, the speaker was talking about Rush flying to an appointment in an aircraft the speaker labelled as a "experimental". Apparently Rush wanted to talk to the speaker about another aircraft, not the one he was flying.

Danny has done some research and found out that the aircraft Rush was flying was a Glasair 3. Most likely that aircraft was a homebuilt kit, but although it might wear an "Experimental" label, many would argue that it is not an aircraft that is experimenting with some unique aerodynamic feature. 

So here we have a comment from a pilot, who flies a type of aircraft that many think of as a collection of moving parts flying in formation, dissing a class of aircraft of which he admits he has no experience. Obviously posters here have failed to read the linked article and raced off down a track towards which the original poster had not erected a pointer.

Not saying that the resulting discussion had no value, but sometimes it is necessary to pluck the pearl from the oyster and place it, with a new grain of sand, in another thread to generate another pearl.

• Like 1

I have , and it was FUN .

It was also " roped to the back of a V8 ford ! .

Yes ! , it was a 'glider ' ( autogyro  ) for dual training role at Eastern Creek .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling
  • Informative 1