Any Aeropup flight reports?

13brv3

Greetings,

Sorry to wake a near-dead subforum, but I've been trying to find flight reports from Aeropup owners.  I'm told there are 60+ Aeropups flying in Australia, but none of my searching has produced much in the way of flight characteristics.  I've literally skimmed through ever mention of the word Aeropup in this entire forum, and any other forum I can think to search.  For most planes, I'd expect any number of people discussing stall speeds, and cruise speeds, plus just general handling qualities, but I've found almost no such information for the Aeropup.  .  I understand there were built long ago, but I'd hope they're still around and flying. 

There's a new dealer in the US, and and I've been seriously considering an Aeropup kit as my next project.  Even the factory demo isn't flying yet, so I'm somewhat starved for information.  About the only comments I've found refer to it as "a lovely flying airplane", which is nice, but a little short on detail 🙂  

Can anyone give actual cruise and stall numbers, or point me to the top secret forum where they may be published 🙂

Thanks,

Rusty

Cockpit size is always a concern for me.  I'm tall, but not basketball player tall.  I do have more neck than nature intended, so headroom is always a problem.    I tried an Avid, but getting in it was like that last clown that squeezes into the VW.   A Kitfox 5 or above fits, as does a Just Aircraft Highlander.  I haven't had a chance to sit in a Kitfox 1-3 or 4, but I suspect even the 4 will be too tight.  I'll have a chance to sit in the factory demo in a couple weeks, so that question will be answered anyway.  I'm hoping I fit, since the other options are just insanely expensive now. 

Rusty

10 hours ago, 13brv3 said:

Greetings,

Sorry to wake a near-dead subforum, but I've been trying to find flight reports from Aeropup owners.  I'm told there are 60+ Aeropups flying in Australia…

Rusty one if those owners is in our club and I’m sure he’d tell you about his.

I’ll rattle his cage.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I'll jump on everyone's shoulder's here, and show my interest too. I've bought what I'm lead to believe is the 1st, and only factory assembled.

1 hour ago, Heath said:

I'll jump on everyone's shoulder's here, and show my interest too. I've bought what I'm lead to believe is the 1st, and only factory assembled.

Has that got a jab 3300 

26 minutes ago, Heath said:

Yes indeed, you know it..?

Yes. It is the original factory build. It's in most of the aeropup advertising. Even aeropup Spain used a picture of it . It had a Subaru in it before. Nice plane.

6 hours ago, Heath said:

Yeah, it's had a plethora of motors. I'm just surprised you knew about the Jab

i was going to buy it but decided to go for a nosewheel instead. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folk,

Update from Aeropup Australia.

Yes, we are manufacturing Aeropups at Gympie Airport Queensland.

There have been issues with Local Gympie Council and after 8 Years we have finally solved the challenge. 2 Senior Council employees were dismissed after inappropriate actions against us at the Airport. The Gympie Mayor and Gympie Council CEO are good people, and we can now continue to manufacture the Aeropup with no further hinderance.

The last 5 Years we have built new welding jigs for the complete Aircraft. Accuracy has never been better.

Aeropup production is now in full swing with 15 kits under construction.

Supply of kits, as of this moment, very short lead times.

New instructions are only weeks away.

Production now consists of full CNC tube coping in house. 

Ribs CNC in house. Rib material Australian Hoop Pine marine Grade Plywood made in Brisbane Australia

We own the Dies to produce Spars and Lift Struts so no delays on these items. We have Tests sheets for the 3 profiles.

All steel tube is Military Grade 4130 and German manufactured. All with test certificates.

There was a mention of a Flight Manual with necessary information Yes, we do have this in the system, making some basic updates and will be available in a few weeks.

As the time goes on, we shall update you on progress.

Feel free to contact us

Kind regards

Rollo McKinley

R & C Aviation

Gympie Airport

Queensland Australia

• Like 6
  • Winner 3

Sadly no, we have only just ramped up to decent production levels. Not enough time to be at Parks.

Might try and be there, maybe have some production parts to share the quality we are aiming for. 

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

• 4 weeks later...

Shame the SupaPup is no longer available, that’s a great A/C and looks more like a Cub👍
w feted why you’ve been quiet Rollo, gotta luv the amount of corruption within local councils!🤮

Edited by Flightrite
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have just become an Aeropup owner and also first-time aircraft owner.  I purchased an Aeropup 2.2 from its second owner.  The plane was built in 2010 and only has 80 hours on airframe and engine.  Engine if Gen 1 Jab 2200 that has been 'factory refurbished'.  The previous owner swapped out the regular wheels for tundra tyres.

I've flown about 12 hours in it so far, mainly circuits as I get my tailwheel skills back up to speed.  For what it's worth, here are my thoughts.

Overall, very happy with my purchase.  It's a small simple plane that didn't cost me much and doesn't cost much to run. The engine burns 15l/hr at 2900rpm.  At that RPM I seem to be doing 80kt.  Not fast but not 65kt either and from my point of view worth it for the price.

I'm 179cm (5' 11") and weigh 92kg.  I need to contort myself to get in the cockpit but once I'm in it's comfortable.  I've had a similar sized friend sit in the RH seat with me and it's cozy but I've had worse. It's less spacious than a J170 inside. Not as cramped as a Sonex.  I haven't been in a C172 for many years but it reminds me of two big fellas in that.  I flew it from Gawler to Kadina (1 hr each way) and I was comfortable.

Controls are very light. No need for trim almost.  The plane is light (280kg empty) and I really felt that on the flight to YKDI.  I find I need to be careful with rudder inputs as it can swing like a pendulum. Not sure if that's a tailwheel thing (I haven't flown tailwheel in 30 yrs) or a I-have-a-heavy-foot thing.

My plane has 2 x 26l wing tanks (apparently) and 1 x 8l header tank in front of the RH side rudder pedals.  So, 60l all up, or 4 hours at 15l/hr.  That's long enough legs for my purposes and again, was worth the price. 

My plane has no lugguage shelf although I've seen another example at YGAW with one.  I'll want to make one of those.  At the moment I have a backpack slung behind me where I keep tie-downs, docs, fuel drain etc.

Anyway, in short, a nice, simple plane.  I enjoy flying it. I enjoy flying tailwheels again.  Needs a bit of work eg: baggage shelf and needs some tests to confirm fuel capacity, usuable fuel, performance etc.

I'm happy with my purchase but.

Hope this helps.

Mark

• Like 5
  • Informative 1

Comments on Aeropup Production 

There is a lot of misunderstanding about the Aeropup here in Australia and Overseas as well. 

Aeropup was designed originally as the Supapup and a single seater. A successful aircraft and well liked.

This aircraft developed into the Aeropup as a 2 seater version. 

Sadly the Supapup plans have disappeared with the Death of the Designer, John Cotton. 

Now to the 60 flying, well that's the fisherman story of the one that got away. 

The true figure for Aeropup, not Supapup, is now close to 40 kits in Australia. 

There are articles about "problems with Australian products". 

Clarification would be that the Designer passed away without all information supplied to the New manufacturer. 

The manufacturer, which is myself, has spent a considerable amount of time and money to make all CAD 3D plans. Every part now CNC in house. All new accurate jigs.

The kits now are very accurate.

One kit owner in Western Australia described our kit and welds as "Art to the eyes". 

The fibreglass molds were Old not as good. However they are usable. 

New molds are very close to finish. 

All kits in the World have been made by myself and Son at our Factory Gympie Airport. 

One kit went by USA to Bangladesh Airforce. These guys love the aircraft. 

Instructions were not good, so new instructions are being made in USA. These, hopefully, will be available soon.

USA has received a shipping container of kits already. Another larger order going very soon.

At this moment we have 15 kits under construction and nearly all finished. 

Stock will be available for immediate dispatch in Australia very very soon.

A new Website will be released upon completion of Instructions from USA.

Please feel free to comment or contact me through here or directly. 

Further updates as requested by yourselves and myself. 

I will also have more data on Cruise speeds, stall and other relevant information soon.

There will be a New Aeropup Flying with a Jabiru 3300 in the next 8-12 weeks. 

This is a local build and from our latest  jigs.

All the best.

Rollo

R & C Aviation Gympie Airport 

• Like 5
  • Informative 3

19 hours ago, Flightrite said:

Was that the one from up Corowa way recently?

Don't think so.  It was built in Kadina, hardly flown and sold to the previous owner who lives in Snowtown.

Rollo with a 120 HP donk that should make the pup just about perfect👍80 Hap I consider under powered, a Rotax 200 gee gee would be the sweet spot👍 Shame about the SupaPup with no plans, it’s the best little toy plane Ive flown, and I’ve flown many!