the meaning of the initials qnh

Half way , but stopped for " short wave listening " ' CQ ' as far as Quito South America .

spacesailor

PS:  NZ changed the rules. So you had to do ' years on a specified frequency '. 

2 hours ago, spacesailor said:

Half way , but stopped for " short wave listening " ' CQ ' as far as Quito South America .

spacesailor

PS:  NZ changed the rules. So you had to do ' years on a specified frequency '. 

I must have suffered a brain bubble because I can't make sense of your post. Can you 'expand it' for me? And type slowly because I'm a slow reader...😄

Edited by Jabiru7252

On 9/10/2023 at 5:28 AM, turboplanner said:

What is the meaning of QNH?

It is one of the Q Codes developed for Morse Code acronyms in the early 20th century, that all start with “Q” denoting a question.

QNH stands for Question Nil Height (Sea Level)

And the source for information is ...  ???

In NZ , the exam for ' restricted ham licence ' , was changed to make use of the different frequency spectrom, I see that the " years. " are changed again to 3

month or 50 new contacts. 

flowchart.gif.5e7928c1ce987d211209d2f6b0ac06ed.gif

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Spelling
  • Like 1

On 07/01/2024 at 1:21 PM, Jabiru7252 said:

Me (VK5KKS) and at least two others I know about.

In a (very much) past life, VK5ZFL. Never got round to Morse before marriage and a family provided other pastimes. Also 9SYM Mobile Outpost SSB for a while.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2024 at 7:38 PM, peterg said:

And the source for information is ...  ???

Hi Peterg

I came across this discussion and decided to do some research on the topic. I found a brochure from the Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology titled 'AVIATION WEATHER PRODUCTS Area QNH', which I consider to be a reliable source. According to this brochure, the acronym QNH is indeed one of the Q(uestion) code names developed around 1909 for use in Morse code. When an operator transmitted the letters QNH, it was a concise way of asking for atmospheric pressure at mean sea level (MSL). The phrase was understood to mean "I have a question. What is the atmospheric pressure at Nil Height", essentially referring to mean sea level. I use an app called Wings Taking Flight to find information like this, it references back to the original sources, which can be useful.

• Like 1
  • Informative 3