Oz Runways - nominal tablet needed. (doing Research for what is needed)

15 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Watch out you don't buy old technology that will soon be superseded. A lot of phones and tablets are totally obsolete after about 5-6 years - you find they aren't capable of working with the latest technology, and updates become minimal, the updates are only simply for security.

Out of curiosity I just checked to see how much trade-in Apple would give me on my iPad Mini 4 (wifi+ cellular) if I upgraded to the current Mini. They offered me $75!

• Informative 1

The Tab A7 Lite 4G can probably be picked up for less than $400. It has enough grunt to run RWY but needs to have an SD card installed to expand the capacity beyond 32GB.

Maybe if you wanted to watch hi-def videos spending $850 might be justified but it is still like watching TV on a teeny-weeny small screen. 

An extra $400 buys a lot of beers or AvGas.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Yes, but ....  (*what's the term?*)    bargain regret?

How things evolve and the sudden expanded need for memory......

Nothing worse than needing and not having rather than having and not needing.

And I'd prefer a bigger screen.

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

30 minutes ago, flying dog said:

Yes, but ....  (*what's the term?*)    bargain regret?

How things evolve and the sudden expanded need for memory......

Nothing worse than needing and not having rather than having and not needing.

And I'd prefer a bigger screen.

Nah! but.  I'm happy with the cheapy - Tab a7 Lite.  It recently flew me from YSBK to YHID without missing a beat. The Tab S6 Lite stayed in the bag and I never felt the need to watch Hi-Def movies. And I have also done lots of planning to Carnarvon and Tasmania.  The downside of any EFB, regardless of cost, is the inability to control the winds and rain.

RWY works best with at least 64Gig and mapping across to an SD card when you first buy is both cheap and easy.

Edited by coljones
addition info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 09/10/2023 at 6:45 PM, flying dog said:

Ok, I'll confuse myself more than I am.

So AvPlan is an alternate - yes?

Pros/Cons of each?

VFR FLYING!

P.S.

I've watched Stef's youtube video on the two.

Thanks in advance again.

Differences are mostly preference based. I used ozrunways initially so have kept it as my flying changed over time. Now the switching cost for me isn't worth it to avplan as they do pretty much the same thing. I'll admit not knowing about the sync feature on avplan though. Nice!

I've also spent a bit of time making custom checklists for my ozrunways and don't feel like seeing if they're going to work on avplan.

Like the apple vs Android debate realistically now days the features of both will suit most and its whatever you feel comfortable with price and use wise.

There are some nuanced differences but tbh especially in the apple vs <insert product here> debate most people revert to some religious debate vs actually having a clear idea of the pros and cons of each.

You're the customer,  try before you buy with the efb and use whatever tablet works for you. 

Note with overheating any device using a CPU or electronics unless certified to the relevant ISO standard or milspec will be prone to overheat / shut down. Every consumer tablet you buy can overheat and shut down in the cockpit. 

• Like 1

Ok, well I am playing with OzRunways now....

RED FLAG for me - not against the program itself but.....

YPFT (polo flat airport)   was DECOMMISSIONED YEARS AGO!

Why is it still showing up on the map/chart?

(Just discovered it is Air Service's job to remove airports.)

Yeah, thanks.

I know it is a big country and they may be/are short staffed.    It just caught me off guard that it is still shown.

My 2 bobs on this one:

It’s really handy to see traffic on the iPad and cos the 2 systems don’t share data its something else to decide upon.

It appears to me that QzRunways is most popular amongst the amateur community, i.e. RAA, smaller GA etc. Avplan seems to be standard issue amongst the RPT, RFDS and bigger GA guys. It may simply be a cost thing but because the 2 EFBs only show their own subscriber traffic you don’t see the other guys on the display! I understand Avplan have offered to share but OzRunways have refused to do so.

So, maybe, if you normally fly VFR below 4500, you might see more on OzRunways but if you generally fly IFR or cross-country then Avplan might be better for you.

In a bid to keep everything as simple as possible, all my gear is now Apple cos it talks to each other and it just works straight out of the box. I use a standard iPad, 32 Gb (no card) a mini, 64 Gb, as a backup (again no card). An iPhone serves as a hotspot in the air - I generally use an Optus connection but have access to a Telstra one if I'm heading outside the J curve. A Garmin Glo provides GPS signal.

I fancy an iPad pro next. I find the mini is just too small and awkward for general use (it’s great as a backup and I’ve needed to use it in anger 2ce - the iPad will overheat if you leave it charging in the sun.