Oz Runways - nominal tablet needed. (doing Research for what is needed)

I have an old tablet (android 4.3 I think)

It is out of support for upgrades of the O/S.

So what tablet would I need to get to be at least be a bit of future compatible.

Android preferable.  I'm not an Apple person.

Tab S6 Lite is one but I am not sure it would work.

Thanks in advance.

I've just heard the Apple echo system is somewhat......   different and ....   Although if I get a secondhand one I guess I am kind of free from some of that.

Thanks though.

I guess I have to keep an open mind.

Could you give me a couple of examples of which ones would be good to get/use?

Models.

Edited by flying dog

I'm using an S7 Lite with AvPlan. Works well.

Yes, you miss out on some of the features of the Apple version, but for VFR flying, it does just fine at less than half the cost of the equivalent Ipad.

21 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Best to get an apple product.  Better information.  Some good priced refurbished mini ipad5's available.

I would need you to qualify what you mean by that.

All things being equal, I don't understand.

BTW, I'm only doing VFR flights.

6 hours ago, RossK said:

I'm using an S7 Lite with AvPlan. Works well.

Yes, you miss out on some of the features of the Apple version, but for VFR flying, it does just fine at less than half the cost of the equivalent Ipad.

I'm guessing that is another option to OzRunways?

Ok, I'll confuse myself more than I am.

So AvPlan is an alternate - yes?

Pros/Cons of each?

VFR FLYING!

P.S.

I've watched Stef's youtube video on the two.

Thanks in advance again.

Edited by flying dog
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

34 minutes ago, flying dog said:

I would need you to qualify what you mean by that.

All things being equal, I don't understand.

BTW, I'm only doing VFR flights.

I have a iPad mini (5th generation) and it is great.  The current model is 6th generation.  A friend is buying a second hand 5th generation for $400 and that seems to be the normal price of refurbished items from computer repairers.  Hope this helps.

• Informative 1

> I am pretty happy , on balance, with my new $370 Samsung + Oz runways

But the specs of that tablet are?

To me that is a tease.

On a side note:  I hear the apple app version are better than the android - now after talking to some one.

The say there are functions/features that aren't available on the android.

If only money tree was more healthy just now.

But life is life and you have to make hard choices.

Mine is a Galaxy Tab A8. WIFI. 

For the most part, I am satisfied with the app  on Android. It's not perfect.

but Ozrunways is cheap. (I have the IFR version) . There are a few bugs, for sure, but on reporting them, that get ironed out fairly quickly- they're responsive.
I have my tablet talk to my skyecho on the wifi. If you want continuous cellular access (which I dont use), you need the 4G version. (because you cant wifi to your mobile hotspot phone + Skyecho at the same time) 

I just download everything that is possible and leave it on it. I hotspot the tablet from the mobile phone to get TAF and METAR updates on the tablet if I need them, but for the most part I use NAIPS directly for my flying data, and I talk to ATC en route... I do submit flight plans from the Ozrunways on the tablet while I am hotspotting from my phone. that all works fine. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

My flying is simple fair weather VFR.

I have a Galaxy Tab A10, SM-T515 with a uAvionics Ping for ADS-B in.
Works fine once I sorted out how to keep it locked on to the Ping.

Here are the RWY device requirements, though I don't think this has been revised for a while:
https://docs.ozrunways.com/rwy/device_requirements.html#hardware-requirements

I would suggest contacting them.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, flying dog said:

I *thought* (yes, dangerous) there was a screen size minimum and the mini wasn't up to spec.

I used to use a mini, and it was fine. Don’t know if there was/is a spec change that would change that.   

• Like 1

mini is a bit small I think (and also there is a minimum size permitted by CASA)

FWIW : I find the Galaxy TAB A8 is entirely sufficient (performance) and 64GB built in is plenty for all maps etc

• Like 1

You piqued my curiosity, so I checked. AC91-17 says that the minimum size is 200mm diagonally (although it notes that “some manufacturers may vary slightly from this minimum, but may still be acceptable”, which I believe was included because one of the iPad minis was something like 198mm). 

We chose it because of limited dashboard space, but obviously bigger is better if you can fit it.

• Like 1

On 09/10/2023 at 7:23 PM, flying dog said:

I *thought* (yes, dangerous) there was a screen size minimum and the mini wasn't up to spec.

Hi FD,

It was the iphone, not the iPad Mini, that was not up to size spec.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

I used to use a tab a for my backup, primary is and ipad pro. It got to the point the tab a was too old and slow so upgraded to a tab a8. That works well enough as a backup. 

Had to use it a couple of weeks ago when I smashed the screen on the ipad pro at a fuel stop. Whipped out the galaxy tab and did the last leg fine. Did make me think that ozrunways needs a sync feature for your flightplans though.

The tab also works fine with my stratux. 

Personally the ipad and pen are streets ahead of the galaxy for general use. I'm a devoted android phone user, but for tablet the Apple is far superior, including feature set for ozrunways.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattP said:

ozrunways needs a sync feature for your flightplans though.

This is a standard on both Ipad and Android for Avplan.

I can draw up a flight plan on my phone whilst at work daydreaming, and when I get home, it's on my Android tablet and back up Ipad.

This will set the cat amongst the pidgeons - Flying Dog, google Ipad EFB overheat.

I've flown with an Ipad Pro, an Ipad Mini 4 and the Samsumg A7 lite.

Despite the loss of features on the Android version of Avplan, the A7 lite is my primary EFB and the Mini 4 my backup.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks again all for the replies.

Gee, APPLE are not helping themselves.

As much as security is a good thing to have, it makes an endoscopy look enjoyable.

It is shameful how poor their customer service is - IMO.  (Not humble)

Maybe once you are "indoctrinated" to their world, things are nice.   But for people wanting to "turn to the dark side" they are nearly their own worst enemy.

On 08/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, flying dog said:

I have an old tablet (android 4.3 I think)

It is out of support for upgrades of the O/S.

So what tablet would I need to get to be at least be a bit of future compatible.

Android preferable.  I'm not an Apple person.

Tab S6 Lite is one but I am not sure it would work.

Thanks in advance.

Samsung Tab S6 Lite is a good choice and you get a stylus. It works well with RWY.  Make sure you get the LTE (4G) version so you have a choice about using Mobile Data (Telstra if you want good coverage off the beaten track)  I'm also using a Samsung A7 Lite 32GB LTE (with an extra 120GB of Storage) The A7 Lite (8") is great in a crowed cabin and performs reasonable efficiently.

Edited by coljones
  • Agree 1

Watch out you don't buy old technology that will soon be superseded. A lot of phones and tablets are totally obsolete after about 5-6 years - you find they aren't capable of working with the latest technology, and updates become minimal, the updates are only simply for security.

Edited by onetrack