Light plane crash Tygalgah (near Murwillumbah) 15 Oct 2023.

A report in the Daily Mail states that a light aircraft has crashed at Tygalgah NSW. The report states the pilot was rushed to hospital with minor injuries. The accompanying photo shows an airborne Cessna 210 Centuion with New Zealand registration, so this is likely a stock photo.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12632243/Tygalgah-plane-crash-Pilot-rushed-hospital.html?ito=social-facebook

• Informative 1

32 minutes ago, RFguy said:

how good is the ADSB coverage in the region at ground level- is this the termination of flight, or just the ADSB coverage limitation ? glen

Flat flood plains all the way to coolangatta. ADSB registers on the ground at YMUR, Tygalgah is just north of YMUR though. So must of happened on climb out

Edited by Area-51

11 hours ago, Carbon Canary said:

“A young pilot has miraculously walked away from a plane crash” Daily Telegraph.

Rego appears to be 24-426……

can’t read last number. Maybe a Tecnam P92 ??

Well done to the young pilot if he walked away !

Probably old stock fottage from somewhere.  Dont let the truth get in the way of a story !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

A photo from the Facebnook page of Aviation 24/7 which posts photos of aircraft accidents from around the world. Listed as Tygalgah accident.

tygalgah.thumb.jpg.b60093720cf88e36a1591a93d1120223.jpg

• 3 months later...

Cessna 40 degree flap go arounds are not easy, even with an instructor sitting next to you, every move has to be thought about. Pretty easy to stuff up. 20 months without flying I need an instructor soon, bloody asic almost due and not even exercised, bfr are out on both RPC and RPL. I need some time, anyone got some spare to sell.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

I thought the 40 flap position was not permitted..   Nev

Just about every instructor teaches something different.

Some  might demonstrate a short field landing but require a clean up before the round out, others don't say a thing.

All in all its a mess.

Recovering from a go around from flare or partial touchdown with 40 deg flap in the PA28 requires a sequenced staged operation. 1) full power, control the slight pitch up , get aircraft stable and flying in ground effect,.  You'll quickly find she wont get much over T.O.S.S. like that........   That you struggle to accelerate at all .......and  that it wont make more than 70 kts should be the wakeup call ... 2) once you have the thing flying again, get rid of one stage flap back to 25. now it will climb,  needs another nose  / trim adjustment , and so on. 

The lack of  acceleration , let alone any climb at full throttle should be an INSTANT alarm bell. NOT something you have to think about, needs to be INSTANT alarm bell in your head.    And curency drives that. You know how it 'usually feels'.

There's a bunch of things I can list that MUST be instant reaction without having to think.  

• Like 1

I go throttle full forward check carb heat and fly in ground effect till you can get the speed you need. I think the Hi wing Cessna flaps are the most "draggy" at 40 degrees and had been locked out. .  Nev

Jabirus once had more flap but they ,  with an SB , reduced it (from 40 back to 30 etc)  because it was said to "increase drag  and not generate any more lift"

I argue that sometimes you might want that 

2 hours ago, RFguy said:

Jabirus once had more flap but they ,  with an SB , reduced it (from 40 back to 30 etc)  because it was said to "increase drag  and not generate any more lift"

I argue that sometimes you might want that 

Well that's very interesting because I screwed up and forgot to dump flap on a go round in an early J170 and it tried to climb on its back. I did what Facthunter said and kept WOT pushed the stick forward  and ground out in ground effect before easing the 40 deg flap off.

Another person in the same aircraft did much the same and died, destroying the aircraft.

I suspect the 30 degree limit would have taken the sting out of my problem.

I wonder if that was post the service bulletin. . interesting. 

I think the big drag flap might assist a short fielder. but maybe it screws up other aspects.

Wasnt just the J170 it applied to, think also applied to J200 , early J230

JSB029 1,2

"Reducing maximum flap deflection. Testing showed that the final stages of the flap movement produced no significant effect on the aircraft’s stall speed but had a slight negative effect on the aircraft’s handling at low speeds."

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

I wonder if that was post the service bulletin. . interesting. 

Pre, I think. I had the exciting experience of the rudder pedal blocks which locked the nose wheel, usually where your wing was close to another wing, and I had the free helicopter rotation when there was a strong coastal breeze and you were out of rudder authority......all fixed.

1 hour ago, RFguy said:

I think the big drag flap might assist a short fielder. but maybe it screws up other aspects.

Yes it did, there was never a long float.