Ultralight crash north of Grafton 12/12/23

I went for an early morning flight today and went down the river at Lilydale at 100 feet to check if there were any wires.

Just kidding it was 1000 feet. About 1/2 a km North of the Lilydale bridge there are wires crossing the river. There are white visibility balls on these wires and they look pretty new to me. I have never noticed them before but then I have never looked for them either from the air or on the ground. They are not on the google earth map either.

• Informative 2

On 15/12/2023 at 2:20 PM, BrendAn said:

The point was there are a lot of young men and women flying airliners these days. Fuck sake it's not worth making a comment anymore . I will stfu from now on and just read the posts. Thanks.

You seem more upset than me about it. So you are saying there are a lot of young PEOPLE flying airliners these days. That's great.

Looking at the photo of the scene, I cant see any aerial cable markers attached to the cable crossing the river. I know that Ergon Energy for one have a marker program in progress but were there markers here?

51 minutes ago, JEM said:

Looking at the photo of the scene, I cant see any aerial cable markers attached to the cable crossing the river. I know that Ergon Energy for one have a marker program in progress but were there markers here?

I would say no, for the simple reason there's no reason for them to have been marked previously. It's not really a navigable waterway, there's no runway nearby, and they're not higher than, or close to, that magic 500AGL such as crossing a valley or gap in the hills.

From what @kgwilson indicates though, they're marked now, but that seems to be a common theme when a powerline is struck, simply to avoid any liability should they be struck a second time.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, KRviator said:

I would say no, for the simple reason there's no reason for them to have been marked previously. It's not really a navigable waterway, there's no runway nearby, and they're not higher than, or close to, that magic 500AGL such as crossing a valley or gap in the hills.

From what @kgwilson indicates though, they're marked now, but that seems to be a common theme when a powerline is struck, simply to avoid any liability should they be struck a second time.

There are ag strips along the river that used to be used regularly, there was also a Jetranger that struck a line and crashed there about 20+ years ago.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 3