Ultralight crash north of Grafton 12/12/23

Not necessarily in command of a wide bodied aircraft. You need to get rid of the I'M INVINCIBLE bit that fighter pilots have and the" I Know I'm gunna die flying THIS Bomber with the ODDS I'm facing but it's MY DUTY to my Country" stuff to It's a JOB and I want to live to get my super and the best way to do that is not be a Jerk and stick my neck out flying on near empty Tanks through Cumulo Nimbus clouds and HAIL. etc. Nev

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Student Pilot said:

Good afternoon Captain Garry. How many words does it take the relevant Australian rule/law/ regulation to say the same thing? Are the legal consequences similar in both countries?  I can't be bothered looking it up I am enjoying the day too much.

Hey there, SP ... well, at least in the user friendly VFRG the local rule is just as brief but doesn't say quite the same thing.  In Oz we don't get that "sparsely populated areas" exception (other than with a low-level endo and a swag of other conditions which do take a couple more pages to clarify). 

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-02/visual-flight-rules-guide.pdf     (p.47-50)

Minimum height rules – other areas (CASR 91.267) (MOS 12.02)

When flying over an area that is not a populous area or public gathering (CASR 91.265), you must not fly an aircraft below 500 ft above the highest feature or obstacle within a horizontal radius of 300 m of the point on the ground or water immediately below the aircraft.

2 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Not necessarily in command of a wide bodied aircraft. You need to get rid of the I'M INVINCIBLE bit that fighter pilots have and the" I Know I'm gunna die flying THIS Bomber with the ODDS I'm facing but it's MY DUTY to my Country" stuff to It's a JOB and I want to live to get my super and the best way to do that is not be a Jerk and stick my neck out flying on near empty Tanks through Cumulo Nimbus clouds and HAIL. etc. Nev

That attitude is encouraged by some employers 

More the REAL experience Not JUST log book hours. In retrospect I was Jerk at 30 though I thought I was careful and tried to be wise . WE actually FLEW those planes though. the Autopilots were useless if it was rough.  It was nowhere NEAR as safe as it is today.  The equipment was rubbish by comparison.  Nev

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Nobody I know who is in the Game has a good word for them. (And this statement doesn't make me a CASA basher, Turbs so don't rev that one up. I'm JUST one of the messengers.)  Nev

Some can handle it, some can't.

• Caution 1

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

It's the age, not the sex that fact Hunter is questioning 

my point is there are a lot of young people flying airliners now, and a lot of young girls like this one. nev thought 30 was young for an airline captain. would you be happier if i posted a pic of a male .

its 2023 anyway, there is no such thing as male and female.

you are what you say you are.  😁

Edited by BrendAn
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Garfly said:

Hey there, SP ... well, at least in the user friendly VFRG the local rule is just as brief but doesn't say quite the same thing.  In Oz we don't get that "sparsely populated areas" exception (other than with a low-level endo and a swag of other conditions which do take a couple more pages to clarify). 

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-02/visual-flight-rules-guide.pdf     (p.47-50)

Minimum height rules – other areas (CASR 91.267) (MOS 12.02)

When flying over an area that is not a populous area or public gathering (CASR 91.265), you must not fly an aircraft below 500 ft above the highest feature or obstacle within a horizontal radius of 300 m of the point on the ground or water immediately below the aircraft.

So what is the height when flying over water as in the sea or a big lake? I guess there are obstacles to avoid there too like cruise ships, tankers and yacht masts but they stick out like the proverbials.

6 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

my point is there are a lot of young people flying airliners now, and a lot of young girls like this one. nev thought 30 was young for an airline captain. would you be happier if i posted a pic of a male .

Not from my point of view. When I was learning to fly in the 70s the ratio was about 80% male 20% female. Not many went on to be airline pilots then but aviation was very male dominated by old chauvinistic dickheads that thought a womans place was in the kitchen & bedroom.

Edited by kgwilson
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

My nephew is an. " Emirates "  airlines pilot & is still below the 40 years .

Makes him younger than my oldest ' grandson ' 43 years , with his 13 year old son ! . ( not the eldest Greatgrandson ) .

spacesailor 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

So what is the height when flying over water as in the sea or a big lake? I guess there are obstacles to avoid there too like cruise ships, tankers and yacht masts but they stick out like the proverbials.

No they don't, and that's the message that needs to be driven home over and over and over.

A family in a Cherokee decided to do some sightseeing on the deck at Eildon Reservoir where the water is as flat as a tack and the fishing boats, ski boats and houseboats are small. What killed them all was the cable strung from tower to tower. If they's been flying above 500 feet they'd have missed the cable and the view would have been pretty much the same.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

From WHAT you say, Turbs I doubt you know many people who have run businesses that have to deal with CASA over a  long Period. "Some can Handle it, some can't is not applicable"  You are ASSUMING CASA is above criticism and that people who are NOT happy are at fault which is wrong in a lot of cases. IF you want to challenge them HOW can you?  Nev

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, facthunter said:

From WHAT you say, Turbs I doubt you know many people who have run businesses that have to deal with CASA over a  long Period. "Some can Handle it, some can't is not applicable"  You are ASSUMING CASA is above criticism and that people who are NOT happy are at fault which is wrong in a lot of cases. IF you want to challenge them HOW can you?  Nev

We're going off at a tangent there; I'm not assuming anything, just pointing out that thousands of students and pilots cope with CASA and other authorities every day for years. Some don't. That's life.

That's just dodging the Issue. What you walk past, you accept. It drives good people out of the Game. Your trust in the bureaucracy seems to have no bounds and this one IS a monopoly so it must be answerable. I HOPE they get better.. I doubt you know much about it really by what you write.  Nev

CASA seems to have the worst reputation of any aviation authority on the planet. I found this difficult to understand when I first ventured across the ditch. Most pilots treated them like the enemy. Same when going for a medical. Advice was don't tell the DAME anything otherwise CASA will take years, and it will cost you thousands if you say once I had a TIA and even then the class 2 will probably be refused.

I have often used the metaphor "NZCAA acts as a Coach, CASA acts as a Policeman" (a bad one). That said I've met some nice CASA employees but they are hamstrung by a culture no-one has been able to unravel.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

its 2023 anyway, there is no such thing as male and female.

you are what you say you are.  😁

Why would you need to post a picture? I think most of us are on top of the concept of '30'

5 hours ago, kgwilson said:

CASA seems to have the worst reputation of any aviation authority on the planet. I found this difficult to understand when I first ventured across the ditch. Most pilots treated them like the enemy. Same when going for a medical. Advice was don't tell the DAME anything otherwise CASA will take years, and it will cost you thousands if you say once I had a TIA and even then the class 2 will probably be refused.

I have often used the metaphor "NZCAA acts as a Coach, CASA acts as a Policeman" (a bad one). That said I've met some nice CASA employees but they are hamstrung by a culture no-one has been able to unravel.

The Department of Civil Aviation never had a mandate to aid or foster the aviation industry; I believe the early Regs began "No aircraft shall fly, except...: Not much has changed in the current Act.

Functions of CASA:

9  CASA’s functions

(1)  CASA has the function of conducting the safety regulation of the following, in accordance with this Act and the regulations:

(a)  civil air operations in Australian territory;

(b)  the operation of Australian aircraft outside Australian territory;

(ba)  ANZA activities in New Zealand authorised by Australian AOCs with ANZA privileges;

By contrast, the USA seemed to think that aviation could be a good thing...

Foundation of the FAA: "the Air Commerce Act was passed in 1926. This landmark legislation charged the Secretary of Commerce with fostering air commerce, issuing and enforcing air traffic rules, licensing pilots, certifying aircraft, establishing airways, and operating and maintaining aids to air navigation. "

NOTE WELL: There have been at least three, possibly four, attempts in my lifetime to amend the Act to include "foster the industry"; all were defeated. The Act now includes "foster a safety environment", which functions to oppose industry growth.

WHY are Australian politicians so anti-aviation? Keating said "All aircraft owners are silvertailed bastards", which was a bit rich coming from him...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

15 hours ago, BrendAn said:

Why does it upset you so much

It doesn't..I'm sure I'm actually on your side. But if one person is saying 30 seems a bit young to be a 787 captain, then what is the point of your post? No one was disparaging female pilots 

3 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

It doesn't..I'm sure I'm actually on your side. But if one person is saying 30 seems a bit young to be a 787 captain, then what is the point of your post? No one was disparaging female pilots 

The point was there are a lot of young men and women flying airliners these days. Fuck sake it's not worth making a comment anymore . I will stfu from now on and just read the posts. Thanks.