Ultralight crash north of Grafton 12/12/23

IS that on a sand(rock) bank on the Clarence river?!? Surely no one would be stupid enough to go low-flying down the river a second time after that bloke killed his mates daughter doing exactly the same thing in a similar spot a few years ago?!?

Edited by KRviator
Corrected text - it wasn't his granddaughter.
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" - George Santayana 
A 12-year-old girl has died after a light plane hit powerlines and crashed into the Clarence River in northern New South Wales. (2014 - a few years earlier than I remembered)

Reckon that span crossing the river is what this latest muppet hit...
"image.thumb.png.30249e9e0c0ae9417afc468316e43c65.png

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

who says the people in the plane knew anything about what you are talking about. pretty big call on your part.

I believe all pilots should be reading all the accident reports applicable to their class of operation. I was aware of the Maule power line "accident". 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

34 minutes ago, facthunter said:

For heaven's sake KR, don't call them a muppet.  Nev

The idiot flew into a powerline strung at low level across a river. Muppet was me being polite! If he'd killed one of my friends, I'd be calling him something a damn sight worse! 

17 minutes ago, facthunter said:

He MAY have lost power. I don't presume anything, Or Judge, till we have all the facts. The readiness to think the worst of their fellow pilots still astounds me  Nev

Occams razor still applies. If I'd have had an engine failure, I don't think I'd pass up the nicely graded dirt roads, empty paddocks or the flat campground beside the river (assuming it was a 3rd option being suitably empty enough of caravans). The river would be an off-on-the-horizon fourth option...

EDIT: The only way I can see any kind of defence to this, was if he was trying to replicate that Alaskan bush flying by landing on the river shoal you can see in the photo here. But that won't absolve ol' mate from the "ALA must be safe for the proposed operation" bit of the CASR's - and clearly it wasn't as there was a powerline running over it that he hit!

16 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

There's this one too. A 172 hired by a group of tourists was hot-dogging out in the GAFA when they hit a powerline 15m (50') AGL above the road after a history of low-flying. The ATSB concluded 

There was no evidence of an aircraft or operational reason for the flight below 500 ft above ground level (AGL). Based on a lack of evidence to the contrary, the investigation concluded that the descent to, and flight at low level was probably as a result of a conscious decision by the pilots.

You want to do stupid shit, like tooling about at low level without an endo or proper survey - fill ya boots! Just don't do it with someone I care about on board and cross your fingers that if you do come to grief, you only kill yourself - because if you survive - even if no one's killed - it's gonna get very unpleasant, very quickly, and I don't just mean the investigation. There'll be medical bills, insurers coming after your assets, broken friendships and that's just the administrative and financial floof, before you get criminally charged.

Edited by KRviator
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Caution 3

Update. Dec'd <10 yr old child and 30 Yr old male. Aircraft from Gold Coast area.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-12/plane-crash-near-grafton/103217270

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12852715/lilydale-grafton-nsw-light-plane.html

78849259-12852715-image-m-15_1702344475803.jpg

Edited by Cosmick
  • Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

Dunno what you are up in arms about Brendan. I think there may be some misunderstanding somewhere.  Nev

i am not up in arms about it  , just pointing out we don't know what happened yet and  friends or family might read these posts.  its a small world .

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, facthunter said:

What do you THINK my point IS then?.  I was having a go about how the COPS reported it early in the piece. NOT casting aspersions on the Pilot.   Nev

sorry nev. i thought i was replying to kr. i had not read your post.