A question about registrations

red750

I was going through some of my photos and I came across one that had a 2-3 format rego, rather than the normal 2-4 format. Can a rego of, say, 25-0999 be shown on the aircaft as 25-999? In other words, can the 0 in that location be dropped? (Note, that's not the real number in question.)

Absolutely yes.  The regos were originally xx-xxx and when it was expanded to 4 digits the leading 0 was allowed under the tech manual prior to 4 to be omitted. 

all old aircraft rego are grandfathered so old reg 2-3 numerals still exist. 

• Informative 1

Must have hyphen after first two digits displayed. My Drifter had 250404 on the boom and I had to change it to 25-404 or 25-0404

But you must use the full four digits during your radio calls ie: Drifter 0404.

• Informative 1

Thanks for that. The photo was that of an Australiann Lightwing Ga-55. There is nothing on the Hughes Engineering website more recently that 2021. Have they gone out of business?

Hughes are still in business; we recently got parts for our Lightwing GA.  They are more a general engineering works.  Not making aircraft anymore AFAIK.

AUF was short sighted and thought 999 planes would be the maximum.  There were mistakes made early on.  AUF issued the same number for 10- and 19- etc.  Our Karasport was one that had to change the 10-number because there was a 19-same number (or whatever).  Our Lightwing has 55-646, it should have a zero there now.

24 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

Only the " A-17-626 " . Is on the fuselage,  

So is it the rgo number , or .is it something else . ( is a none registered number allowed ).

$82,000 

spacesailor

Like this?

WM01102.jpg.9b9e9986f8eb0987684e3bafb8dcfd6e.jpg

26 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

More like this Tiger-Moth-1-600x450.jpg.14021ecd8f3fa2900587ffe63a5299dc.jpg

Spacesailer

Yes the same as this with the Tigers. My cousin's uncle was a RAAF Instructor, killed at the Parafield Satellite field while teaching a student Blind Takeoffs.

Funny. I was made to do that in a Chipmunk and stay under the hood till the Landing was completed, after some basic airwork. That was my first IF session.  I think the idea was to make you realise how difficult it was.. It was an all over field but not very big.. Must have been the go in those days. Eventually I did recovery from unusual attitudes under the hood. It CAN be done but you need to quickly identify Spin OR Spiral? . This is the stuff that can save your life .   Nev

32 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Funny. I was made to do that in a Chipmunk and stay under the hood till the Landing was completed, after some basic airwork. That was my first IF session.  I think the idea was to make you realise how difficult it was.. It was an all over field but not very big.. Must have been the go in those days. Eventually I did recovery from unusual attitudes under the hood. It CAN be done but you need to quickly identify Spin OR Spiral? . This is the stuff that can save your life .   Nev

He was listed as having flown DH60 Gyosy Moth, DH82 Tiger Moth, Hawker Demon, so I assume he was an experienced instructor.

I read the reports but they never got into who did what.

The student survived.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, red750 said:

This is the photo I referred to in the opening post. Does anyone on this site own or have owned this aircraft?

From the RAAus register - 25-0377 Lightwing GA-55, serial Ga55-055, rego cancelled 18 Oct 2013.

I'll have a look through my records to see if it comes up.  A bit busy this time of year, so it might take time...

Turbs the usual time allowed then to get solo was around 8 hours. You wouldn't be into the IF till well into the syllabus. Virtually NO one had runways. Some Spitfire fields in the UK were all over grass. Bankstown only had one runway in the 60's. Nev

• Like 1

Early AUF Regos

From the AUF magazine Issue #47 p.19 August 1990.

Ultralight Aircraft Registration Markings

(snip)

Ultralight aircraft registration markings are arabic numerals and hyphen, e.g., prefix 55 and registered number separated by hyphen - 55-1234 or the registered numbers only for CAO 95.10 aircraft - 1234 for 10-1234.  (snip) except that leading zeros of registered numbers are not required, e.g., 10-0125 is 125, 55-0145 is 55-145 (snip).

_______

So early AUF planes may display 123 (which is 10-0123) or 55-123 (which is 55-0123)

Shows a bit of short sightedness in that other categories came in and the 10- had to be prefixed for clarity.  The argument was that 95.10's didn't have the space for lots of numbers.

• Informative 1