Mansfield to licola Victoria

BrendAn

2 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

its like that is it.

But the Tigers should bother you. why ? because the weather can be benign over the ocean, and you can  ditch the plane with a low prob of killing yourself. and people can get to you quickly and find you easily.

But in the hills and the mountains-  you get all sorts of bad weather  actors , turbulence, cloud out of nowhere, air forced to rise, oh it goes on and on, let alone where you might land if you have to ?  and it will be weeks before you are found and by then you have died of exposure and bled to death trapped in your tin can coffin.   I do fly over tiger country, but I have my route divided up into sectors and I have a LZ in mind for every sector, and I dont fly over it unless I can get high, and if there's any cloud base above or below, or any  PROB30 with descent the other end,  I take the long way.

• Like 2
  • Winner 1

1 minute ago, BrendAn said:

its like that is it.

Like what? Bass Strait has different challenges. Being comfortable with one, doesn't necessarily reflect on the other. No sarcasm or other was intended. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RFguy said:

But the Tigers should bother you. why ? because the weather can be benign over the ocean, and you can  ditch the plane with a low prob of killing yourself. and people can get to you quickly and find you easily.

But in the hills and the mountains-  you get all sorts of bad weather  actors , turbulence, cloud out of nowhere, air forced to rise, oh it goes on and on, let alone where you might land if you have to ?  and it will be weeks before you are found and by then you have died of exposure and bled to death trapped in your tin can coffin.

i don't know about getting found quickly . its a big stretch of water, assuming you can raise the alarm , you might be injured and bleeding in that situation too. a lot of planes from latrobe go across the hills all the time. its actually not that far across the tiger country in a straight line . 

21 minutes ago, RFguy said:

But in the hills and the mountains-  you get all sorts of bad weather  actors , turbulence, cloud out of nowhere, air forced to rise, oh it goes on and on, let alone where you might land if you have to ?  and it will be weeks before you are found and by then you have died of exposure and bled to death trapped in your tin can coffin.   I do fly over tiger country, but I have my route divided up into sectors and I have a LZ in mind for every sector, and I dont fly over it unless I can get high, and if there's any cloud base above or below, or any  PROB30 with descent the other end,  I take the long way.

I agree there is a lot to consider, that's why I picked a route with the shortest stretch of tiger country. But honestly it is something I may never do anyway.  Doing wide circuits feels like a cross country in the xair anyway.😁

• Informative 1

10 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

it would be a fair while before i do any trips let alone that one. one day when i have the hours up and the weather permits.  did you see mark butchers trip on youtube the other. only took him 1 and a half hrs from traralgon to wang. straight over tiger country, he had just flown across bass straight so a few hills were not going to bother him.

Two points there

• he had almost no chance in Bass Strait if he'd gone down. Rescue takes a long time there.
  • in most of the area  of those mountains, if your engine fails you die and that can be in perfect weather. That's why most schools won't allow Hire aircraft to fly over it; staying with a Kilmore Gap entry then up the warmer, calmer side of the mountains all the way up.

There's a vast difference between an aircraft cruising at 140 kts IFR at 9000' and a  slow cruise high drag rag and tube.

The last person who came on here for advice on mountain transiting is dead.

The one before that died simply because he took the wrong saddle.

When you do your Navs, the instructor may let you get lost and see if you can orientate your way out of it. All of a sudden cross country flying takes on a different meaning and you realise that where your navigation is critical in the mountains when you might need to swap valleys, a lot more training will be needed over and above cross country.

You then add the need to think in three dimensions when you have to climb up a valley, and then identify the correct saddle you need, and you then have to be able to get yourself out if you take the wrong one, and all of that is compounded by weather and winds.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The more times you push your luck, the more chance of you running out of it. I've been to Mt Hotham twice. There's ways of making it acceptably safe.    Like climbing high where you can return and land IF you need to and then going on  with the ability to glide to a safe place available to you.  Nev

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

8. 8 : EMERGENCY LANDING IN TREES Prefer one or several low, bushy trees. Belts and helmets tight. Keep some speed on in final, as the air is often turbulent next to the trees. Pull up sharply to break your speed as soon as you hear contact with the branches. Good luck!.

out of the xair flight manual. i like the last 2 words.

• Informative 1

38 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

8. 8 : EMERGENCY LANDING IN TREES Prefer one or several low, bushy trees. Belts and helmets tight. Keep some speed on in final, as the air is often turbulent next to the trees. Pull up sharply to break your speed as soon as you hear contact with the branches. Good luck!.

out of the xair flight manual. i like the last 2 words.

That and the GA one to try to hit between two trees and take the wings off are good for open country, but in the Victorian Alps the bush is very thick with Blue Gums, some of them 300' high and they make good mincers.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

That and the GA one to try to hit between two trees and take the wings off are good for open country, but in the Victorian Alps the bush is very thick with Blue Gums, some of them 300' high and they make good mincers.

thats why i said i like the last 2 words. 

Just now, BrendAn said:

thats why i said i like the last 2 words. 

Well away from those huge trees, in more open country it works quite well if you're lucky enough to still have control to steer between them or the trees have fine branches, approx less than 50 mm. The aim is to arrest the forward speed as much as possible so the final hit is easily survivable. The Manufacturer was probably expecting you would only be in country with nice soft trees.

• Like 2

given that you dont have a tough fibreglass shell around you a-la Jabiru , I'd be only flying an Xair with gliding distance to a 300m straight  clearing or road without power lines . Brendan, I thought you'd bought a little rotax poiwered 55 Jab ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RFguy said:

given that you dont have a tough fibreglass shell around you a-la Jabiru , I'd be only flying an Xair with gliding distance to a 300m straight  clearing or road without power lines . Brendan, I thought you'd bought a little rotax poiwered 55 Jab ?

Yes ,I did buy a Rotax powered jab but sold it and got the xair. I thinks it's more suitable for me for burning around the local area. I do love jabirus though.