Mansfield to licola Victoria

BrendAn

5 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It referred to the Post IMMEDIATELY preceding it. Better than quoting out of context, which is one of my pet hates.   Bit niggly aren't ya? If everyone was the same it would be a dull world.  Nev.

It's just good manners.

The post before yours had nothing to do with a new rule.

21 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Ooooh! Prwood  - not sure it's quite the done thing, to call out someones performance claims😈

He probably has all sorts of high speed enhancements 😎

Jato perhaps?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, prwood said:

Brendan, you quoted speed of 65kts with high cruise of 80kts. I had an X-air standard with a 618 for 10 years. The cruise speed was around 55-60kts. No way could we get 80kts. The X-air stated cruise is 54kts & a max speed of 65kts with VNE 82kts

75 to 80 knots Jabiru powered without a headwind of course. My current one is 582 powered and only good for 55 to 60 cruise. I haven't picked up the Jabiru one yet but the previous owner says it cruised above 75 easy. It will do vne. That one has flown from Gippsland to Brisbane, 14 hours though.😁

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

22 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Ooooh! Prwood  - not sure it's quite the done thing, to call out someones performance claims😈

He probably has all sorts of high speed enhancements 😎

You have been nothing but a smartarse since I posted this question. Don't you have something else to do.

Just to be clear, I am not going to jump in my ultralight and go crossing mountains tomorrow, it's just something I would like to consider down the track. Maybe even the odd trip up to the licola area and back . It's not very far from west sale.

Brendan: "Just to be clear, I am not going to jump in my ultralight and go crossing mountains tomorrow, it's just something I would like to consider down the track. Maybe even the odd trip up to the licola area and back . It's not very far from west sale.".

Yes Brendan, but we don't know that you aren't a complete idiot like the guy who killed himself attempting something similar, who had zero experience. That is why we all react..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-09-20/mount-beauty-plane-crash-victim-mathew-farrell-mourned/101458134

''I know the Mansfield region pretty well and have had one or two closes shaves.......

''Remember that there are old pilots and bold pilots, but not old and bold...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

I have flown Tocumwal/ Bairnsdale and reverse on several occasions, so similar track to what you are asking about.  TAS at 140 knots in the RV.  The lowest safe for the area is high, over 7,000'.  Not sure how long it would take you to get there or what performance you would have.   For me its about 70 minutes flight time each way, and not all of that is over the high country..  One recent trip I had over 58 knots headwinds for about 15 minutes.  Was fine at 9,000' (IFR).  I wouldn't have been comfortable down lower or in a lower performance aircraft.  If the weather is even slightly forecast as dodgy I choose a lower route.

You may be going over a Designated Remote Area so would need to check the rules for that and make sure you comply re reporting and equipment.  Not onerous but important.  You may also need clearance through East Sale Airspace depending on where you're starting/finishing your trip.  

And asking for advice is always a good thing to do.

• Like 1
  • Informative 2

3 hours ago, Love to fly said:

I have flown Tocumwal/ Bairnsdale and reverse on several occasions, so similar track to what you are asking about.  TAS at 140 knots in the RV.  The lowest safe for the area is high, over 7,000'.  Not sure how long it would take you to get there or what performance you would have.   For me its about 70 minutes flight time each way, and not all of that is over the high country..  One recent trip I had over 58 knots headwinds for about 15 minutes.  Was fine at 9,000' (IFR).  I wouldn't have been comfortable down lower or in a lower performance aircraft.  If the weather is even slightly forecast as dodgy I choose a lower route.

You may be going over a Designated Remote Area so would need to check the rules for that and make sure you comply re reporting and equipment.  Not onerous but important.  You may also need clearance through East Sale Airspace depending on where you're starting/finishing your trip.  

And asking for advice is always a good thing to do.

thanks.  you would have gone over the snowfields to bairnsdale. mt hotham is 6000 ft . i wouldn't be that daring. i was only considering going around mt skene from licola nth to mansfield. around 1600ft so i guess 2500 above sl. i am based in east sale airspace. 

• Informative 1

I was gung ho when learning to fly about some of the routes and places I would go.

But what I've found is some of these routes can be very uncomfortable and unpleasant to fly over with any wind around, without being up in the stratosphere. 

so now constraints are  < wind? cloud ? after lunch weather ? fatigue ? > Alot of prerequisites to tick before I go anywhere. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RFguy said:

I was gung ho when learning to fly about some of the routes and places I would go.

But what I've found is some of these routes can be very uncomfortable and unpleasant to fly over with any wind around, without being up in the stratosphere. 

so now constraints are  < wind? cloud ? after lunch weather ? fatigue ? > Alot of prerequisites to tick before I go anywhere. 

it would be a fair while before i do any trips let alone that one. one day when i have the hours up and the weather permits.  did you see mark butchers trip on youtube the other. only took him 1 and a half hrs from traralgon to wang. straight over tiger country, he had just flown across bass straight so a few hills were not going to bother him.

• Informative 1

2 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

it would be a fair while before i do any trips let alone that one. one day when i have the hours up and the weather permits.  did you see mark butchers trip on youtube the other. only took him 1 and a half hrs from traralgon to wang. straight over tiger country, he had just flown across bass straight so a few hills were not going to bother him.

No hills on Bass Strait though 🤔

• Winner 1