SkyEcho 2 fixed mount

Pretty much like any electronic receiver or transmitter. Signals are transmitted as wavelengths and bounce or are deflected of hard surfaces they cannot penetrate so get to the receiver obliquely. If there is a large flat surface like the side of a fuselage and the SE2 is behind it the signal is blocked.

• Informative 1

the tubes and rag of aircraft size will not measurably affect it . the tubes are fairly small compared to a wavelength and will tend to just re radiate whatever they intercept. 

That being said, you want to stay at least half a wavelength away from any metal in the direction you want to go, about 15cm. The antenna is in the top half of the SE2, so you want that in the clear.

flat plate larger than a half wavelength will start to hurt, though. 

The GPS is just as important, it needs a good view of the sky.   (in the top of the box) . if you have a torx bit, take it apart and have a bit of a look

• Informative 4

3 hours ago, RFguy said:

the tubes and rag of aircraft size will not measurably affect it . the tubes are fairly small compared to a wavelength and will tend to just re radiate whatever they intercept. 

That being said, you want to stay at least half a wavelength away from any metal in the direction you want to go, about 15cm. The antenna is in the top half of the SE2, so you want that in the clear.

flat plate larger than a half wavelength will start to hurt, though. 

The GPS is just as important, it needs a good view of the sky.   (in the top of the box) . if you have a torx bit, take it apart and have a bit of a look

Excellent. Thank you. 

Hi folks,

Just FYI I had some friends in another plane check that they could see my Skyecho paint on their EFB from about 10nm away, and they confirmed they could. I could also see their Skyecho paint on my EFB from well before, so I guess that indicates that my Skyecho with its velcro/ziptie mount is located reasonably well. 

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 2

10nm transmit range on a skyecho, is about the limit  when the installation permits it.

you'll likely see full power ADSB transmitters from at least 20 to 40nm away. again, depending on the installation.

Sorry to hijack, but I am entertaining the idea (My original plan actually) of getting a part 103 ultralight. While I'll just be pootling around in it and probably not navigating, would a sky echo still be worthwhile? I assume if I have that and nothing else, then at least it makes ME more visible?

And obviously, with that sort of ultralight, I'd best be making a mount similar to bluesadventures, else it just winds up in the landscape below 😄

5 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

...would a sky echo still be worthwhile? I assume if I have that and nothing else, then at least it makes ME more visible?

😄

Short answer - Yes. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Sorry to hijack, but I am entertaining the idea (My original plan actually) of getting a part 103 ultralight. While I'll just be pootling around in it and probably not navigating, would a sky echo still be worthwhile? I assume if I have that and nothing else, then at least it makes ME more visible?

And obviously, with that sort of ultralight, I'd best be making a mount similar to bluesadventures, else it just winds up in the landscape below 😄

Yes, you can use the one skyecho2 in a number of aircraft. Just switch the internal details to the respective aircraft you are flying.  Do you have. SE2 in your present aircraft?

7 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

Adding just a Phone sized EFB would provide an ADSB-IN display for use as and if needed. 

Not to mention up-to-date local maps, etc.  (Minimalism plus peace of mind ;- )

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

10 hours ago, Garfly said:

Adding just a Phone sized EFB would provide an ADSB-IN display for use as and if needed. 

Not to mention up-to-date local maps, etc.  (Minimalism plus peace of mind ;- )

Good point! I already first tested my skyecho on my phone 😄

Mind you, you can't even fly 60 minutes at 100km/h in these things before you have to return so navigation will probably not be much of an issue!

Edited by danny_galaga