SkyEcho 2 fixed mount

I have made a fixed mount for my SkyEcho 2 rather than use the suction cap mount as it came loose twice.  I will attach this mount so the SE2 is in its appropriate orientation and above the panel location.  I made the top half in perspex so it does not shield the SE2 internal antenna setup.  Will be installing it in the Nynja tomorrow.

IMG_9936.jpeg

IMG_9935.jpeg

IMG_9929.jpeg

IMG_9933.jpeg

Edited by Blueadventures
  • Like 6
  • Winner 1

That'll give you good visibiliy and reception. I mount mine on the side of my bubble canopy & it falls off periodically, usually on to my lap. A good clean of the suction cup  & the canopy fixes the problem for quite a while till it falls off again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

That'll give you good visibiliy and reception. I mount mine on the side of my bubble canopy & it falls off periodically, usually on to my lap. A good clean of the suction cup  & the canopy fixes the problem for quite a while till it falls off again.

Getting ready for a recent flight dropped off screen and jammed in right seat rudder pedals; don’t want to ever happen during takeoff or in flight so I’ll never use suction mount again; hence the fixed mount.

IMG_9467.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 3

Looks fantastic Mike !
just as long as it doesnt get too hot up there.  maybe a white paper shade, japanese origami style.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

6 minutes ago, RFguy said:

Looks fantastic Mike !
just as long as it doesnt get too hot up there.  maybe a white paper shade, japanese origami style.

Thanks, appreciate your advice including not to make a full height alloy bracket at its back as would shield the antenna function. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2024 at 2:18 PM, Blueadventures said:

Mounted now.

IMG_9986.jpeg

Oh, fantastic! I see too in your first post you reused part of the RAM mount. All those tubes are pretty much the same in the Bushcat so I think I'll do the same. Except the flap handle is somewhere there too. But ill have a look soon. Let us know if you have any dramas with reception etc but it actually looks like it should only be improved 🙂 

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 2

No. It has to be Mode S compliant and even then has to have extended squitter capability. Then you can add an ADSB out module. Price installed about 6k. Best option is to get a SE2 for about $550.00 after rebate. Then you can see all other ADSB out equipped aircraft & they can see you if they have ADSB in.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

No. It has to be Mode S compliant and even then has to have extended squitter capability. Then you can add an ADSB out module. Price installed about 6k. Best option is to get a SE2 for about $550.00 after rebate. Then you can see all other ADSB out equipped aircraft & they can see you if they have ADSB in.

Thanks kg, I thought that might be the case.  It looks pretty old.

I have an SE2 in my J230 and currently use the suction mount to fix it to the lower right hand corner of the wind screen.  This has become loose several times and no doubt is not the best position or orientation for reception/transmission.

What have other J230 owners done to mount their SE2s?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Not sure about J230s but in my Savannah I have taken the suction mount and put velcro on it, then put velcro on some of the cockpit tubing at the top left side, then once attached by velcro I have put two zip ties around as well. This arrangement keeps the whole thing securely in place (I also had the suction mount fall off the lexan). 

It seems to work so far, and I can't really see any way it can fall off now. Where it is placed allows the required clear view upwards and forwards. 

When the weather improves (haha) I will be going out to the airfield and will take a picture or two.

Cheers,

Neil

• Like 1

I used a universal camera tube mount for my SkyEcho, worked well doing aerobatics.

Now have a Garmin GTX335 transponder with ADSB out combined with a uAvionix Ping USB. Works very well.

IMG_4260_Original.jpeg

• Like 1

Interestingly the approval for use in NZ is only with a proper mechanical mount. Suction cups are not approved. Given the number of pilots who have had the SE2 fall off (including me) it seems that was a good move.

I just pick it up, realign it, suck it back on & keep going. Not really a problem but that would depend on location and aircraft. The left side of the bubble canopy is a good location for me as it is out of the way but with good GPS visibility as well as forward and side visibility. I did some initial tests & while not in any way scientific I made various turns to see when the aircraft I picked up disappeared. I had visibility from about 185 deg through 360 to about 130 deg so only the right rear quadrant I got no signal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, kgwilson said:

And I guess that Brendan would do well to hold on to the old Garmin Mode C to use together with the SkyEcho2, no?

A 'proper' transponder (even an oldie) allows you to operate in Class E and is needed for any Class C transit/entry which one day (soon?) may be more relevant for RAAus craft than it is now.

Edited by Garfly
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2

26 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

I did some initial tests & while not in any way scientific I made various turns to see when the aircraft I picked up disappeared. I had visibility from about 185 deg through 360 to about 130 deg so only the right rear quadrant I got no signal.

I was wondering to what extent the lump of metal up-front puts traffic just below and ahead into an ADSB shadow.  (Like it does to the pilot's eyesight).

Edited by Garfly

16 hours ago, Garfly said:

I was wondering to what extent the lump of metal up-front puts traffic just below and ahead into an ADSB shadow.  (Like it does to the pilot's eyesight).

Interesting point, GF.

I don't think it can affect things that much as I had an aircraft crossing about 1000ft below and in front of me the other day (boy was it hard to actually see!), but it showed up on my AVPlan display the whole time, including while it was actually blocked from my eyesight. 

Cheers,

Neil

• Informative 1

19 hours ago, Neil_S said:

Not sure about J230s but in my Savannah I have taken the suction mount and put velcro on it, then put velcro on some of the cockpit tubing at the top left side, then once attached by velcro I have put two zip ties around as well. This arrangement keeps the whole thing securely in place (I also had the suction mount fall off the lexan). 

It seems to work so far, and I can't really see any way it can fall off now. Where it is placed allows the required clear view upwards and forwards. 

When the weather improves (haha) I will be going out to the airfield and will take a picture or two.

Cheers,

Neil

Mine works fine mounted with good quality Velcro in the space above the top of the window in my J170.

The Antenna has no problems receiving GPS signals in that position as the composite structure does not block them.

It’s out of the way and solves the suction cup issue.

Just have to remember to turn it off!

• Like 1

Seems to me that some would benefit by reading CASA’s AC on EFBs especially the explanation on airworthiness regulations for mounting them electronic-flight-bags-ac

2 hours ago, djpacro said:

Seems to me that some would benefit by reading CASA’s AC on EFBs especially the explanation on airworthiness regulations for mounting them electronic-flight-bags-ac

From the above manual I would say that this section probably applies (as the Skyecho is not an EFB) :-

3.7 Installation of small cameras and similar devices inside aircraft

Note: This section is only applicable to mounting small devices inside an aircraft. It is not applicable to mounting
devices on external surfaces – the regulations and safety considerations are different in those scenarios.

3.7.1 From time to time CASA receives enquiries about the rules and requirements for
mounting small cameras and similar devices inside aircraft, in particular about whether
the airworthiness regulations are applicable and a Part 21 modification design approval
is required.

3.7.2 The airworthiness regulations are primarily about certifying the approved design of
aircraft and required operational equipment, manufacturing those products and
thereafter ensuring they remain airworthy. The continuing airworthiness and
maintenance regulations are framed in relation to the approved design and the terms
aircraft components (CAR) and aeronautical products (CASR). Aircraft components and
aeronautical products include parts of aircraft as specified in the Part 21 approved
design of the aircraft, and equipment required by the regulations for operation of the
aircraft.

3.7.3 A small camera, or similar device, is not an aircraft component or an aeronautical
product if it is:
a. not included in the approved design of the aircraft; and
b. mounted in a way that does not affect the approved design of the aircraft; and
c. not required equipment for the operation of the aircraft.

3.7.4 Mounting a small camera, or similar device, in accordance with the above criteria is not
a change to the approved design of the aircraft and is not maintenance of the aircraft. A
Part 21 modification design approval is not required in those circumstances.

3.7.5 The approved design of the aircraft would be affected by physical changes to a part of
the aircraft, such as drilling holes. The approved design of the aircraft would not be
affected by mounting means such as a suction cup.

3.7.6 Under CAO 20.16.2, a small camera, or similar device, that meets the above criteria is
cargo. It is therefore the operator and pilot in command’s responsibility to ensure that
the device is used, restrained and stowed in compliance with CAO 20.16.2 and such
that the safety of the aircraft is not adversely affected for the particular operation. A
formal approval from CASA or an ADO or authorised person is not required in these
circumstances.

3.7.7 The assessment by the operator and pilot in command will necessarily be on a case by
case basis considering the device, the mounting means, the mounting location inside
the aircraft and the operation. The physical size of the device is a relevant consideration
for mounting and safe operation, in particular, the mass and dimensions of the device
are relevant for determining the suitability of the mounting means and the mounting
location.

Personally I feel that using suction cups alone, as from our experience they frequently fall off in mid-flight, would be better augmented by something like velcro as some of us have described. 

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by Neil_S
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Hi guys,

As the weather was half decent today I went for a fly and took some pix of my Skyecho mount.......

Cheers,

Neil

IMG_6937.JPG

IMG_6938.JPG

IMG_6939.JPG

• Like 3

Simple and effective. All you need are a couple of cable ties & maybe a bit of velcro. Two of the best inventions yet for holding things together.

If the skyecho  needs a clear view forward and up how will it work in my xair with the fuse tube and engine overhead plus the 2 engine braces .