The Time Has Come - the new site

Admin

No sorry, standard users have a 15min window to be able to edit their post where First Class Members have many more abilities like they have a 30min window

The issue is that if users can just change their post it can make users that have posted replies look rather silly...even to the point where other people may think that the person making the reply as one who doesn't read posts properly and things like that. A whole thread could become rather ridiculous if this was taken to the extreme.

1.jpg

• Informative 1
  • Winner 1

1 minute ago, Admin said:

No sorry, standard users have a 15min window to be able to edit their post where First Class Members have many more abilities like they have a 30min window

The issue is that if users can just change their post it can make users that have posted replies look rather silly...even to the point where other people may think that the person making the reply as one who doesn't read posts properly and things like that. A whole thread could become rather ridiculous if this was taken to the extreme.

1.jpg

Ok. I thought I was a first class member but have never had 30 minute windows that I know of.

However, you can always do what you did and report the post advising of the changes and why and a Moderator, or myself, will change it for you and ensure any following posts are still in line with the changes.

• Like 1

Just now, onetrack said:

You only become a first class member by financially contributing to the running of the site.

Been doing that .

• Like 1

I just had a look and yes you are a First Class Member.

So just to test, can you make a post and try and edit it say 20 mins later and let me know

2.jpg3.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Admin said:

I just had a look and yes you are a First Class Member.

So just to test, can you make a post and try and edit it say 20 mins later and let me know

2.jpg

3.jpg

Thanks. Will try it next time.

• Like 1

Ian, the membership contribution is something I think I've forgotten to pay for this year - yet I can't find any section where payment can be made, or whether one is up-to-date on contributions?

6 minutes ago, onetrack said:

Ian, the membership contribution is something I think I've forgotten to pay for this year - yet I can't find any section where payment can be made, or whether one is up-to-date on contributions?

Will PM your history

• Helpful 1

Any chance of a having a 5 minute window to edit a typo without triggering an automatic "Edit:" comment? I can read my post three times before posting it and then pick up an obvious typo as soon as it's posted. It would be nice to be able to fix it without flagging an edit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, rgmwa said:

Any chance of a having a 5 minute window to edit a typo without triggering an automatic "Edit:" comment? I can read my post three times before posting it and then pick up an obvious typo as soon as it's posted. It would be nice to be able to fix it without flagging an edit.

Sorry mate, unfortunately that is hard coded into the software. I could change it however it would continually plaque me with problems especially when updating.

• Helpful 1
  • Informative 1

How about an extended amount of time to edit a post? I sometimes come back after more than 1/2 an hour & realise I'd made a typo or error or would like to add another sentence to add context.

The options I have without recoding the core files are very limited.

I can set per usergroup (i.e. Members group, First Class Members group etc) the time limit a user has to edit a post

- problem here is if it is too short then users don't have enough time to correct anything in their post, if it is too long then following posts may become irrelevant and the whole thread is impacted

I can turn the "Post Edited" notice in a post ON or OFF only

- problem here is that if a user reads or even posts a reply within the time limit a user has to edit the previous post again their post may also become a victim of the problem above. At least if it does show that the previous post has been edited it could very well save the thread

I am very much stuck between a rock and a hard post here.

There are 2 options that I can see that may be able to solve these problems:

1. If you need to edit your post but can't as the time limit has expired, post again any clarifications you may need to make

2. If it is very important simply Report the post saying what changes you need or PM me with the changes

Remember, read the post before pressing the Submit button, and if there still ends up a problem, there is always help available to you

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

Fair comment Ian. You do as you think fit. I am a member of another group and the edit function for posts on that site never expires which I though a bit odd. It doesn't seem to cause problems though. The site uses Xenforo software.