Hi from Mornington peninsular, Victoria, Australia

Gudday,

Purchasing an Ekolot Topaz SW but not expecting it to be delivered until December '24 (hopefully).

The order book is full until September (the factory is a little busy building drones) then a 3 month build and a 1 month delivery.

Looking forward to AUSFLY in March & then Fly'n for Fun in April to get to grips with this whole Recreational Flying thing.

Dean.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/2/2024 at 5:59 PM, Deano747 said:

Gudday,

Purchasing an Ekolot Topaz SW but not expecting it to be delivered until December '24 (hopefully).

The order book is full until September (the factory is a little busy building drones) then a 3 month build and a 1 month delivery.

Looking forward to AUSFLY in March & then Fly'n for Fun in April to get to grips with this whole Recreational Flying thing.

Dean.

Hi Dean,

A 3 month build sounds extraordinarily fast…..and so does a 1 month shipping, but all the best with it - the Poles are deeply experienced with composites and it looks like a nice aircraft.

By comparison I was quoted a 12 month build time + 2 month shipping time by another European manufacturer early last year when I was window shopping but at that time no one knew how the Ukraine situation was going to play out. Supply chain issues, energy issues and getting parts was the big deal back then.  I think that has mostly settled down now.

Anyhow, good luck with it !

FP

• Like 1

Hi Dean

What airfield do you fly out of?

December is a long long way away - you could probably get an ATEC Faeta well before then - much better all round performance.

22 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Hi Dean

What airfield do you fly out of?

December is a long long way away - you could probably get an ATEC Faeta well before then - much better all round performance.

So they are a high wing like the Topaz?

4 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Gudday,

Gotta be a high wing - Covid Vaccine left me a little gift in that I am no longer able to tolerate direct sun which is also why I have had to give away motorcycling and look for a new hobby.

And yes, I know that some low wings have good overhead shielding but they are still hotter inside, hard to sit under or camp under and are just too hard to get in and out of when you get a little less supple.

Flew a Piper something or other for 1 flight when I was getting my licence renewed after quite a long break from flying, and crawling under the wing on my hands and knees to do the fuel drain really convinced me, so the rest of the flights were in Cessnas.

The 3 month build time is quoted by Ekolot (it's a factory build) assuming that all the electronics are readily available, and the 1 month transport is based on previous deliveries from the distributer here, though it maybe up to a week longer if the shipping still has to avoid the Suez by then. The other big holdup seems to be Customs in Melbourne.

Still waiting for EASA to sign off on the new documentation for the shorter wing and spoilers before we can place an order. Until EASA certifies it, CASA won't automatically issue a Special Certificate of Airworthiness and we are not prepared to take the risk and order one until that come through. Unfortunately while we wait, their order book is filling up from people in countries that don't have our wonderful CASA looking after their wellbeing. EASA was supposed to be completed with the new documentation before Christmas 2023, but they have been a little busy with other stuff going on in the region.

Went and talked to the Sling guys in Wentworth at Ausfly and I have lusted after the HW since I first saw it, but it's just on twice the price for not a lot of performance gain, I'm rarely going to have any passengers on the trips away and I'd have to build 51% myself.

7 hours ago, Deano747 said:

Gudday,

Gotta be a high wing - Covid Vaccine left me a little gift in that I am no longer able to tolerate direct sun which is also why I have had to give away motorcycling and look for a new hobby.

And yes, I know that some low wings have good overhead shielding but they are still hotter inside, hard to sit under or camp under and are just too hard to get in and out of when you get a little less supple.

Flew a Piper something or other for 1 flight when I was getting my licence renewed after quite a long break from flying, and crawling under the wing on my hands and knees to do the fuel drain really convinced me, so the rest of the flights were in Cessnas.

The 3 month build time is quoted by Ekolot (it's a factory build) assuming that all the electronics are readily available, and the 1 month transport is based on previous deliveries from the distributer here, though it maybe up to a week longer if the shipping still has to avoid the Suez by then. The other big holdup seems to be Customs in Melbourne.

Still waiting for EASA to sign off on the new documentation for the shorter wing and spoilers before we can place an order. Until EASA certifies it, CASA won't automatically issue a Special Certificate of Airworthiness and we are not prepared to take the risk and order one until that come through. Unfortunately while we wait, their order book is filling up from people in countries that don't have our wonderful CASA looking after their wellbeing. EASA was supposed to be completed with the new documentation before Christmas 2023, but they have been a little busy with other stuff going on in the region.

Went and talked to the Sling guys in Wentworth at Ausfly and I have lusted after the HW since I first saw it, but it's just on twice the price for not a lot of performance gain, I'm rarely going to have any passengers on the trips away and I'd have to build 51% myself.

What are the spoilers; same as what gliders have?

9 hours ago, Deano747 said:

Gudday,...................................................................................................................... I'd have to build 51% myself.

For the Australian sun it's hard to go past a high wing. 

My choices are governed by cost & performance. I like to tour,so  performance for me is cost /Nm to fly (not cost/hr). So far this has meant low wings, so I wear a broad brimmed hat with cutouts for my head set. I don't find bubble canopies to be as hot as most suggest, as good ground ventilation usually take care of most of the heat when taxying. Airborne there is little difference in cabin heat.

If I had a bit more cash, I would probably go for the Pipistrel Virus SW - a high wing with similar performance to the ATEC Faeta.

The beauty of the Virus SW & Faeta, are ultra low stall combined with a high cruise speed. This is an unusual combination, as most aircraft sacrifice speed for stall and stall for speed. 

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

For the Australian sun it's hard to go past a high wing. 

That's if you're comparing it with a bubble canopy.

Plenty available with a roof, plenty with air conditioning and cross country instruments.

1 hour ago, Freizeitpilot said:

Purely a personal thing, but I would prefer the FK14 Polaris for a low wing.

FP

Why?

Looks much like the ATEC Faeta NG, slightly slower in HP Cruise and considerably faster/higher Stall.

The Pipistrel Virus SW & Faeta have sub 30 knot stalls (about 8 Kn lower than the FK) - To me this is an important feature as:

• It means that in a crash, the crew are likely to not only survive but walk away  - minimal/nil injury.
  • Short Field capability is fantastic (not as good as a dedicated SF airfact)
  • Terrific glide (not quite as good as a dedicated glider) to get to a better landing ground/thermal if you wish/stooge around at 40-70 knots without fear of stalling

The Virus has Rotax two 80-100 hps options. The Faeta 80=100-115 hp options. Faeta 2-3 blade prop (ground adjust) and CS prop.

The Faeta comes in a T tail (the one I prefer) and a conventional (NG) tail. 

The Virus comes in tail/nose wheel variants.

Not absolutely sure - both are available as, factory build, very advanced kits, multiple option, base to luxury fit out (all have the same performance)

33 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

That's if you're comparing it with a bubble canopy.

Plenty available with a roof, plenty with air conditioning and cross country instruments.

I was.

I take it by "roof" you mean blind or similar

6 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

What are the spoilers; same as what gliders have?

Yes.

Virus SW & Faeta, are ultra low stall combined with a high cruise speed

Similar stall speeds, similar cruise speeds.

31 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

plenty with air conditioning

Not in an LSA and maintain a useful load and enough power to become airborne. 

Airborne there is little difference in cabin heat

Beg to disagree. 

Spoilers sound interesting as can be used when rounded out to decrease lift and put / keep aircraft on ground easier.  Would be better control of any float some wings cause.  Can you post any images of the spoiler in the wing and the cabin control lever / system. (Just watched a you tube video on them; look a great idea; I can see where they will work favourably). Cheers

Edited by Blueadventures

"Similar stall speeds, similar cruise speeds."

Dean you're having yourself on mate - just check out the performance  of each - Virus is independently verified - Faeta, I stand by their real world claims (having actually flown one).

HP Cruise - Faeta & Virus around 135 Knots.  FK 131 Knots (Similar)

Stall - Faeta & Virus around 27 Knots. FK 35 Knots. (This is where the competition leave your choice behind).

"Beg to disagree." 

Having flown in both high/low wings, I personally find the airborne cabine temps to be much the same - glare tends to be greater in the low wing.

6 minutes ago, Blueadventures said:

Spoliers sound interesting as can be used when rounded out to decrease lift and put / keep aircraft on ground easier.  Would be better control of any float some wings cause.  Can you post any images of the spoiler in the wing and the cabin control lever / system. Cheers

Pipistrel Virus SW comes with a spoiler option - very handy for steep descents to a "tight" airfield.

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.2327eb82b7f5f665db93ed911d1e2b49.pngimage.thumb.png.2cf511a64b9dfc8fbddc3b948bc673b2.png

Not an option - standard fit, as is electric flaps, electric elevator & rudder trim.

Edited by Deano747
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, skippydiesel said:

Pipistrel Virus SW comes with a spoiler option - very handy for steep descents to a "tight" airfield.

Yep, a mate has one; its their glider heritage.  Jab 230's would be great with the spoiler update, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Deano747 said:

image.thumb.png.2327eb82b7f5f665db93ed911d1e2b49.pngimage.thumb.png.2cf511a64b9dfc8fbddc3b948bc673b2.png

Not an option - standard fit, as is electric flaps, electric elevator & rudder trim.

Each to his own - since converting to RAA, I would not have electric flaps, trim or spoilers. For speed of action, "feel", reliability and simplicity, go manual everytime.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1