Goulburn Airport for sale

58 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

I take it you didn't bother to take the relatively simple step of checking what  the SP2 Zone includes or take any notice of the fact that someone can put in an Application for something Pilots might not want and have it approved at the Tribunal.

You take it correct, sir.

58 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

If I wanted this airport to stay I'd be on red alert right now.

I'm not that invested. It's far away. But as an occasional air traveller I don't like seeing airports close.

Following the sale of the Airport in 2012, a group of RA owners were going to move to another small field some distance away.

Doe anyone know whether that survived. I've counted 9 members of this site with an array of aircraft from Jabiru, Morgan etc to a Wizard winged trike and a C150 who are no longer members here, so it's possible it failed.

In 2009 there was a plan to turn it into a "Freight Hub" but of course a Freight Hub pre-supposes there is a huge tonneage which needs to be brought into that location and a huge tonneage waiting to go out to make it financially payable.

No, Dick's Gundaroo strip is about 15nm north of Canberra.  Williamsdale is about 20nm to the south.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Garfly said:

No, Dick's Gundaroo strip is about 15nm north of Canberra.  Williamsdale is about 20nm to the south.

Neither of these are available to transient aircraft. There is also a strip mat Lanyon, 10km to the s/w of Tuggeranong town center but I don't like the chances of getting permission for this one either

1 minute ago, Methusala said:

Neither of these are available to transient aircraft. There is also a strip mat Lanyon, 10km to the s/w of Tuggeranong town center but I don't like the chances of getting permission for this one either

Yes, and sadly Williamsdale airport doesn't even exist - except as a bitter memory for those who laboured over the plan for years. 

Canberra must be the only city in Oz with no GA friendly facility.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Methusala said:

I have flown into Dick Smiths airfield - he's a nice guy - have you asked him?

Unfortunately not, apparently:

On 14/04/2024 at 10:57 AM, Ian said:

The historic Currandooley private airstrip which once had 3 operational strips during and after WW2  is soon to be glazed over with solar panels

https://www.blindcreeksolarfarm.com.au/

Any thoughts about where to hangar aircraft in the region would be welcome. I'm still amazed that the national capital only has a single airport within about 100km.

The current situation is that Goulburn Airport is for sale; that's all at present.

Going over threads from 2009 to 2012 when the Council sold it and subsequent stories which pointed to industrialisation:

8 Recreational Aircraft and 1 Cessna apparently are no longer there.

9 Recreational Flying Members were lost to this site and perhaps RAA

So in 12 years, maybe that is the loss when an Airfield ceases to be a pure aviation precinct.

Because there's been no news since, those numbers could be greater; I know of one other who operates a GA Aircraft elsewhere.

In the bigger picture across Australia, it's worth taking a look at potential lost fields earlier than we do.

• Informative 1

On 15/4/2024 at 6:16 PM, Garfly said:

Ian, have you heard if the Goulburn Council is in favour of - or insisting on - the land being retained as the town's airport by any new owner?

There is a pre existing covenant which specifies that it remain an airport.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 18/4/2024 at 9:44 PM, turboplanner said:

The current situation is that Goulburn Airport is for sale; that's all at present.

Going over threads from 2009 to 2012 when the Council sold it and subsequent stories which pointed to industrialisation:

8 Recreational Aircraft and 1 Cessna apparently are no longer there.

9 Recreational Flying Members were lost to this site and perhaps RAA

So in 12 years, maybe that is the loss when an Airfield ceases to be a pure aviation precinct.

Because there's been no news since, those numbers could be greater; I know of one other who operates a GA Aircraft elsewhere.

In the bigger picture across Australia, it's worth taking a look at potential lost fields earlier than we do.

To add some context, the current owner has suffered several heart attacks and is currently facing four serious criminal charges under section 27 of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011.  WorkCover does not take too kindly to businesses killing their customers.  Criminal convictions usually mean one is prevented from operating as a director of a company.   His departure will be universally welcomed as his greatest contribution to Australian aviation.

• Like 2
  • Informative 4

11 hours ago, 10.5 said:

His departure will be universally welcomed as his greatest contribution to Australian aviation.

Only if the new owner is willing to invest in the airport to make it work as a viable GA airport... Things could always get worse...

From someone who once had an aircraft at Goulburn, a new owner is welcomed news - Let's hope it goes in the right direction.

• Like 1

On 17/04/2024 at 9:00 PM, RFguy said:

There is Currendooly

Yeah! landed there a couple of times.

Privately owned with an uncertain future.

I think to call it "interesting " would be he extra polite way of describing it. From memory there were 3 aircraft housed in an old, leaky, farm shed that looked pretty ricketty.

The grass runway was under attack from rabbits (holes) making it a bit dodgy.

Advice from local aviators, as to how to distinguish the runway, from the surrounding rough pasture and where to touch down was essential. 

One of the pilots had come up with an ingenious grass mowing rig - I think it was 4 petrol push mowers, connected to a clever frame, holding the mowers in parallel, able to follow the terrain, all pulled by a quad bike.

1 hour ago, jackc said:

Unfortunately, airport/strip closures will become a sign of the times 🤢

https://www.facebook.com/100063952303049/posts/pfbid0RSzuGNB7GpnEoxRnSf66oU83qzsyrdicticxyf1M8YQqvrFihsZwRVKE2t48iq3Hl/?

The story of Lake Macquarie airport (YLMQ) shows there are still councils around that see value

in having and holding a local airport - and are prepared to resist the importunings of developers who don't.

(And it seems hopeful that Goulburn's among them. Old Bar (YOBR) and Tooraweenah (YTWN)

may be other examples but specific arguments around 'heritage' played a part.)

From Wikipedia's Lake Macquarie Airport page:

For most of its history, the airfield functioned as the base for Aeropelican Air Services  ... Once these services were withdrawn in 2006, the airfield was sold to the Mirvac Group for $5.5 million in 2008.[4]   // ...

Lake Macquarie City Council expressed an interest in maintaining the site for aviation uses. Although the airport is privately owned and council has limited control over the site, zoning restrictions encourage future aviation use. The council rejected a proposal by Mirvac to redevelop the airport into housing estates.[6] Instead, the council's Lifestyle 2030 Strategy development plan, published in March 2013 identifies the airport as having "ongoing potential for use by commuter aircraft" to serve Sydney and regional areas while generating business and employment opportunities.[7]

image.thumb.jpeg.fe494f4cffc80e477a8c8480d38b346c.jpeg

WWW.LAKEMACQUARIEAIRPORT.COM.AU

Edited by Garfly
  • Like 1

As an alternative model - Club/Group ownership (does require a critical number to generate the necessary capital).

In my general area (1 hrs drive ) there are two successful group owned strips  - Wedderburn (very successful) & Mittagong.

I fly from The Oaks (under 5 mins) a private (single owner) strip BUT somewhat hampered by limitations, I believe, imposed by the owner. His right but unfortunate.

1 hour ago, Garfly said:

The story of Lake Macquarie airport (YLMQ) shows there are still councils around that see value

in having and holding a local airport - and are prepared to resist the importunings of developers who don't.

(And it seems hopeful that Goulburn's among them. Old Bar (YOBR) and Tooraweenah (YTWN)

may be other examples but specific arguments around 'heritage' played a part.)

From Wikipedia's Lake Macquarie Airport page:

For most of its history, the airfield functioned as the base for Aeropelican Air Services  ... Once these services were withdrawn in 2006, the airfield was sold to the Mirvac Group for $5.5 million in 2008.[4]   // ...

Lake Macquarie City Council expressed an interest in maintaining the site for aviation uses. Although the airport is privately owned and council has limited control over the site, zoning restrictions encourage future aviation use. The council rejected a proposal by Mirvac to redevelop the airport into housing estates.[6] Instead, the council's Lifestyle 2030 Strategy development plan, published in March 2013 identifies the airport as having "ongoing potential for use by commuter aircraft" to serve Sydney and regional areas while generating business and employment opportunities.[7]

image.thumb.jpeg.fe494f4cffc80e477a8c8480d38b346c.jpeg

WWW.LAKEMACQUARIEAIRPORT.COM.AU

You make a very good point about Councils and in Goulburn’s case there are very many serious questions to be asked. Unfortunately when one asks, The doona is pulled over the head as pudgy little grasping fingers are firmly stuck into already deaf ears.

• Informative 1