Goulburn Airport for sale

39 minutes ago, Ian said:

What is the Goulburn council  court case?

It relates to the asbestos laden aftermath of the four, or was it five “accidental” fires which occurred at the heritage listed St. John’s orphanage.  These “accidental”  fires left an unsafe, toppling charred ruin which resulted in asbestos dust  being blown over the neighbouring properties for years, until council issued a demolition order which was ignored until legal proceedings were commenced. Check out the Wikipedia page on St John’s orphanage for more background.  

• Informative 1

Williamsdale looks like it now has solar farm infrastructure surrounding it.

Would that impact the utility of this site or does a new site need to be located.

One thing that might go in favour of the site it that it has a different state on 3 sides. No much in the way of voter backlash.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/QwHZSDndVofHEAMU6

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Methusala said:

Very wealthy nimbys say...over my corpse!

But that's what I was saying. It's already an industrial power generation site.

It's in the corner of the ACT.

To the east is NSW who are in a totally different electorate.

To the south is NSW.

So the nimbys shouldn't have anyone with decision making powers to complain to.

I had a browse through the website and it looks like it progressed a fair way before going off the rails. Someone spent a lot of time trying to make this work, but it might be marginally healthier than a Norwegian blue.

Edited by Ian

3 minutes ago, Ian said:

But that's what I was saying. It's already an industrial power generation site.

It's in the corner of the ACT.

To the east is NSW who are in a totally different electorate.

To the south is NSW.

So the nimbys shouldn't have anyone with decision making powers to complain to.

I had a browse through the website and it looks like it progressed a fair way before going off the rails. Someone spent a lot of time trying to make this work, but it might be marginally healthier than a Norwegian blue.

Development Applications (DA), like their equivalents in every other State and Territory are processed and approved or rejected by Local Government i.e. the local Council.

Where someone is not happy with the Council decision on the property, they have the right to take the matter to the State Tribunal. At the Tribunal they can only raise matters which contravene the Planning Scheme, or don't fit the description - for example a Church 90 metres tall designed for 600 people has a scale too great for a green belt area.

Where the State is concerned about a completely inappropriate development, the Minister for Planning can "Call In" the DA before the Tribunal Hearing starts, and rule it out or in following a process which in some cases includes setting up a Planning Panel to hear the matter and report back to the Minister, who makes the final decision.

Based on that, the location of this site is unilkely to somehow be influenced by either the NSW Government or ACT Government or Federal Government.

No one has mentioned a DA in relation to Williamsdale, so maybe someone has the bull by the horns, which often happens.

The State or Territory sets its broad Planning Scheme; how they want the State/Territory to look, with all the parts fitting together, and the Commonwealth Government doesn't step into matters of each Sovereign State.

That Williamsdale proposal was devised and defeated over a decade ago. 

It very much involved the ACT Government.

It was a very bitter experience for the aviation enthusiasts who worked up the proposal very professionally only to be tripped at the last hurdle.

Posting this link again - a detailed telling of the story from their POV

WWW.CANBERRASECONDAIRPORT.COM

Edited by Garfly

How unusual - corruption within the Public Service 😈

What was the name of the head honcho, who was recently "retired" - playing both sides of politics for his own benefit. Sow him on the goggle box the other day - not one bit repentant.

Way to few public servants (including local council) are held to account for their misdeeds.

1 minute ago, skippydiesel said:

How unusual - corruption within the Public Service 😈

What was the name of the head honcho, who was recently "retired" - playing both sides of politics for his own benefit. Sow him on the goggle box the other day - not one bit repentant.

Way to few public servants (including local council) are held to account for their misdeeds.

I feel the very worst of  Schadenfreude for people like this……🤢

This is ACT Government. There is no local Government in the ACT, just the state/territory Government which means there is a single PoV across all areas.

It is made up of a combination of Labor and the Greens coalition.

The person in question was Michael Pezzullo head of the Federal Government Department of Home Affairs which is a very different beast. This is the entity responsible for your ASIC.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, Garfly said:

That Williamsdale proposal was devised and defeated over a decade ago. 

It very much involved the ACT Government.

It was a very bitter experience for the aviation enthusiasts who worked up the proposal very professionally only to be tripped at the last hurdle.

Posting this link again - a detailed telling of the story from their POV

WWW.CANBERRASECONDAIRPORT.COM

Are any of these people still around, one thing that I have learnt from Government is that nothing happens quickly. Tying it around some Governments head like a bag of dead fish is often the best approach.

I'd very much be interested on how much the ACT Government has spent with Terry Snow to house their Aviation fire fighting infrastructure there.

This probably would have paid for the Airstrip 10x over.

I've read the above linked documents.

I don't believe there was anything there that would normally be used to get an airport going.

It was a case of talking to the wrong people and not understanding the correct process.

The people they contacted should have been more forthright and it wouldn't have extended the way it did.

However, the main issue here is Goulburn Airport.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, turboplanner said:

I've read the above linked documents.

I don't believe there was anything there that would normally be used to get an airport going.

It was a case of talking to the wrong people and not understanding the correct process.

The people they contacted should have been more forthright and it wouldn't have extended the way it did.

However, the main issue here is Goulburn Airport.

To me they did all they could have done.  They were very unlucky to have that cabal of public servants throw a spanner in their works at the last hurdle. 

In fact, the 'main issue' of this thread extends to the region.

From the Original Post

On 14/04/2024 at 10:57 AM, Ian said:

... // Any thoughts about where to hangar aircraft in the region would be welcome. I'm still amazed that the national capital only has a single airport within about 100km.

5 minutes ago, Garfly said:

To me they did all they could have done.  They were very unlucky to have that cabal of public servants throw a spanner in their works at the last hurdle. 

In fact, the 'main issue' of this thread extends to the region.

From the Original Post

Let's put it this way; if you want to post a letter, you don't go to the pub.

There was no last hurdle because there was no horse race.

This is the best vid I have seen this year. It will be interesting to see how this young self made guy can develop his latest acquisition. Something like this near Canberra with 200 hangars would be nice.

• Like 2