ATSB pushes ADS-B (rebate scheme ends May 31)

There's an article in the latest sport flyer about the Microair ADSB (including In).  It stated that even with the rebate it was something like $3,097.  

I decided I'm getting one built in. I have a skyecho, was at Parkes on the weekend. I thought I turned it off after landing. Anyway, a normal USB-C cable wouldn't charge it in flight, only the one supplied which I didn't have with me. For the extra expense, I don't want to be fiddling. It's going to be for the long term since I expect rule changes to be made in the Sydney Basin and eventually an ADSB requirement.

• Informative 1

They have been fiddling with this one for a long time. Clutter bother's me and you'll still need better radio work..  The current set up is not good enough.  Nev

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

They have been fiddling with this one for a long time. Clutter bother's me and you'll still need better radio work..  The current set up is not good enough.  Nev

Sorrym trying to understand what you said. Can you elaborate please.

• Agree 1

Clutter is when you have a lot of planes close together and radio work is in need of a bit of polishing up. Quality of signal and procedures. A lot of concern has been the cost and who should bear it, It seems that is about as cheap as it's ever going to be.  Nev

28 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Clutter is when you have a lot of planes close together and radio work is in need of a bit of polishing up. Quality of signal and procedures. A lot of concern has been the cost and who should bear it, It seems that is about as cheap as it's ever going to be.  Nev

While I agree with that, not every field requires a radio like Wedderburn. I like the extra tool, I cannot believe how many aircraft that come towards me seen on the iPad and I still can't see them. Gets me prepared and I'm not just talking about in the vicinity of an airport.

Edited by mkennard

56 minutes ago, facthunter said:

It is just a another tool like the radio or looking out the window into the sphere that surrounds our aircraft. Hearing an aircraft call and seeing it on screen is very reassuring. The screen is like a mirror in a car, no staring required.

All the RAAus aircraft are capable of being hit from behind by an RV.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

Today's ADSB example...

coming into cowra from SW this morning..  I hear chatter on the radio, couple of training aircraft in circuit....  AND I can see them on my tablet.  I've done my 10 mile call a bit back....

I am 3  miles out, I see on the tablet  UQM turning downwind, and MUB climbing after TO roll. 

I can see a conflict coming if I continue...

I say nothing on the radio to startle the chickens 

I slow down , flaps 10,   and  put in a couple of S turns...  and add about a minute  to my join  timing, which fits perfect. 

as a join,   UQM is mid base and MUB is late downwind , I pipe up on the radio with single breath  "cowra traffic Cherokee DRF joining early downwind  15  will go number three  to UQM and MUB , traffic cowra.

super simple. reply on radio was "MUB copy". 

With no ADSB , I would get on the radio at that 3 mile point, IE about a minute or two  prior to joining circuit  and get everyone's position, figure out where everyone is , there would be  a bit of rdio chatter.....and then I'd probably do those S turns or an orbit, OR overfly above circuit and swing around for a mid field cross wind join.

Cowra shares CTAF with 5 nearby ADs,  the radio can be quite busy. 

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 5
  • Winner 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

All the RAAus aircraft are capable of being hit from behind by an RV.

True, but they're not all that common.

image.thumb.png.d25e7830b7649af11721b699a35c67a7.png

Edited by Garfly
  • Haha 2

I bet Mum was really pleased that going on holiday didn't interfere with her cooking.......though if the TV fell in the sink it probably would have......(

• Haha 2