new electric aircraft

on the local news today there was a mention of an electric powered aircraft business starting up at latrobe valley airport.

dovetail i think the name was. i don't know if its got anything to do gipps aero being purchased by its original owners.

Just now, spacesailor said:

What is the " battery " weight ( used for aircraft ). Compared  to 98 petrol weigh

( litre ) .

spacesailor

Have another look at the aircraft size.

You mean ' fuel tank '  . Every plane will have an appropriate sized tank to the

Physical size of the plane .

40 hp in an ultralight , will have a much smaller tnk than a large GA registered one.

A N70 lead acid battery weighs in at 24 kgrms .

15 ltrs petrol weighs 10.5 kgms . For two hours flight plus reserve .

I'm thinking I C beats E V  in this aeroplane .

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor

13 minutes ago, spacesailor said:

You mean ' fuel tank '  . Every plane will have an appropriate sized tank to the

Physical size of the plane .

40 hp in an ultralight , will have a much smaller tnk than a large GA registered one.

A N70 lead acid battery weighs in at 24 kgrms .

15 ltrs petrol weighs 10.5 kgms . For two hours flight plus reserve .

I'm thinking I C beats E V  in this aeroplane .

spacesailor

Sorry - you think that EV's (cars/scooters/motorcycles/airplanes) use lead acid batteries?

Lifpo battery for 2 hours lighter than your 98 octane (11.2 kgs by the way) and an electric motor lighter than your 40hp conventional engine.

Your argument doesn't carry weight ..... 

My ' mobility scooter ' has two 40 ah lead acid batteries.

That cost more than a 100 ah marine battery .

More importantly is the fact that an empty battery weighs almost the same as a full one , so , the aircraft doesn't go out of balance like my Hummel-Bird. 

Take off with the ( over your legs  ) fuel tnk full , heavy nose .

Land with near empty tnk , & tail heavy . Easier to stall in landing configuration. 

spacesailor

Hydrogen explodes; much too advanced for humans to play with.  better to keep it safely suspended in avgas until required at the induction port and let the carbon sprinkles fall to earth and feed the vegetables. Trees have purpose; we should make sacrifices to the gods and help set their ancient spirits free with fire and sing Led Zeppelin songs while everything crashes to earth in a ball of flames... Feeling positive again; ready for tuesday 👍

wonder how it will go.  game changer or fizzer.   people must have some confidence to spend millions of dollars .

3 minutes ago, turboplanner said:

There are two vehicles schemes operating now:

HEV     

Compressed hydrogen gas is carried in the vehicle, goes into a fuel cell which converts chemical energy into electrical energy which powers electric motors. Successfully trialled by MTT Perth in three buses around 2005. Buses powerfull and quiet, not practical costwise. Honda leased HEV Civics in Los Angeles a few years later, brought one to Australia.  Several versions currently operating.

HICE

Approximately the same process as CNG vehicle.

Hydrogen gas fuels an internal combustion engine, zero CO2 output, eliminates battery drive, suits ICE Car platforms, normal ICE range.

I will stick with 40 year old Landcruisers, at least I can fix them myself 🤩 

• Agree 1

Not so , with the New Super gadgetry cars .

My favourite! .

Mercedes automatic seat adjustment. 

That if stopped,  before the  cycle has Finnished 

Requires a new module  to be installed .

spacesailor

31 minutes ago, facthunter said:

How's your Transfer cases going?   and the rust.  Nev

I have spares everywhere, don’t need dealer to reset ECU when I fit a new battery 🤩

IMG_6539.jpeg

• Like 1

Chinese startup battery manufacturer Tailan New Energy has recently unveiled a semi solid state battery providing 720 Wh/kg. That means a 100kg battery would store 72 kWh of electricity. The very best Lithium Ion batteries produce 1/2 of the energy density of this new battery and are able to propel the new Nio EV more than 1000 km on a single charge. The new battery of the same weight will double that to 2000km. EVs don't need 2000km of range, they need lighter batteries and this breakthrough will halve the weight or more of the battery for any given EV with its current range. The Nio ET7 EV with a 150kWH Li ion battery with half the energy density has a 1000km range.

This will make single engine electric aircraft a viable cross country option. Given that the electric power train can produce 5 kW per KG (& this goes back to 2015) means a 90 kW (120 HP) electric motor would weigh only 18 kg. Add 100kg (72kWH) of battery and you will have very good range.

There have been a lot of promises on EV battery range, many of them have been overstated. Part of the key is actual battery life AND being able to still meet makers range claims.  THEN the cost of replacement AND availability, too.

I think real World for this technology is a fair way off, generally. 
Mainstream Aviation?  Even further away?

1 hour ago, jackc said:

I have spares everywhere, don’t need dealer to reset ECU when I fit a new battery 🤩

IMG_6539.jpeg

Just ensure there’s 12 volts going into the terminals while you pull the old battery out and connect the new one, affects the computers as well as the ECU.

Edited by turboplanner

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

a 90 kW (120 HP) electric motor would weigh only 18 kg. Add 100kg (72kWH) of battery and you will have very good range.

A 72kWH battery will run a 90kW motor for less than 1 hour. Reduce to 50% power and you can probably claim 1 hour plus reserve.

How long will 100kg of avgas run a 120HP engine at 50% power? That's the problem...

• Like 1