Daily Fuel Prices

Guest Bendorn

• 5 years later...
Is there an aviation "Fuel Watch" where you can look at AvGas prices on the internet?

I see this is an old thread with no answers but is there such a site now for avgas prices, or would members like to let us know their local price currently and location?

A good point, BB, but cost of installation and compliance is humungous. It would require big turnover to recoup the investment.

What we really need is a certified-quality fuel to replace both mogas and avgas. That should keep Jabs and Rotaxes happy, and I believe many of the older engines are slowly being adapted to Life After Lead.

YGAW has a 3000 ltr Mogas tank. It got drained one weekend and no one owned up. Wont be getting filled again. We have also had incidents lately of Avgas being taken and not recorded. If it keeps up we may loose all of our fuel facility.

Guest Maj Millard

Frank, I pumped a lot of avgas on recent trip TVl- Temora....I just paid the bill...too scared to look at price !......doesn't matter anyway when your travelling...no bang juice....no go nowhere. 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif...........Maj....

If I could get mogas at a known quality (aviation), I wouldn't mind travelling to pick it up in sealed containers.

Perhaps containers supplied on an exchange basis.

This is something the RAA and aviation bodies need to get onto........

"Supply it & they will come", I'm sure that some entrepreneur could make a living by getting a contract from the local council to operate a MOGAS tanker, a second hand F150 type truck with a 2,000/3,000 ltr tank fitted is all that would be needed, also imagine a good cafe located at the airport, I'm sure RAA folks would utilize these facilities, it could even make the airport/town a destination.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Great idea......problem is CASA would probabily step in and ruin the fun.....supply of aviation fuel is a pretty regulated thing....

If I could get mogas at a known quality (aviation)....

Newbie question here.

Is the 95/98 octane you can buy at the local service station not of sufficient quality for aviation use? Surely there would have to be quality control so it didn't bugger up car engines, what's the difference? (And yes, I know you don't drive your car at 5000 ft).

Newbie question here.Is the 95/98 octane you can buy at the local service station not of sufficient quality for aviation use? Surely there would have to be quality control so it didn't bugger up car engines, what's the difference? (And yes, I know you don't drive your car at 5000 ft).

The concerns for me are water in the fuel, additives that make it"hight octane"cooking off in a vented aircraft fuel tank and therefore becoming low octane fuel or worse. Other ingredients affecting hoses and engine components. Dirt causing blockages.

As Bob mentioned car tanks are "sealed" and the pumps are in the tanks to keep positive pressure in the fuel feed system.

Fuel under vaccum from the tank (ie rotax mechanical pump) can perhaps pull gasses out of dilution in the fuel causing all sorts of problems.

Service stations and fuel companies are free to modify, add or remove additives at their leasure and not tell anyone.

I don't believe there are any standards for fuel quality or any government control/checks.

• Informative 1

A quick search found the standards that automotive petrol must conform to -

http://www.environment.gov.au/topics/environment-protection/fuel-quality/standards/petrol

Operability Standards

A second suite of national fuel standards came into force on 16 October 2002. These standards ('operability standards') address those parameters of petrol that do not have a direct impact on emissions but, if not controlled, can have adverse impacts on the efficient operation of the engine.

Each of the parameters has a maximum allowable percentage and the test method is specified.

Is this vastly different to "aviation" mogas?

Interesting link....not sure if it is actually followed or tested. Personally, I believe fuel quality varies greatly.

There are a few threads on here regarding fuel (mogas). Well worth a read. Replys from Bob Llewellyn especially informative.

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/octane-fuel-degradation.115167/

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/mogas.113237/#post-412027

The general consensus is that full is going "off" much faster now than in the past.

I'm empting my aircraft tanks now (into car) if it is older than 2 weeks. I think people leaving fuel in their "vented" tanks longer are taking a risk.