Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phil

Put the nose leg and bungee on today cant believe how tight it is l am having trouble turning it side to side without a lever it seems to much load for the steering rods , l haven't install them yet have to weld a couple of gussets to them they seem weak where the rudder cable attaches.

How tight are yours and can you move it side to side by hand at the push rod attachment points.

cheers Geoff..

Hi GeoffHave not put the nose leg back to gether yet must hook it up see if it all works, have you seen the rotax on ebay Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Yes saw it couple days ago its an old one need a full rebuild.

Don't know if l have my bungee to tight it took a good lever to instal it.

cheers Geoff.

Hi EkThanks you Ek and i hpoe you have a good year as well i, If i can decide what engine i will put in my plane i hope it will be flying this half of the year and will reserve a seat for you any time you are over this way cheers Phil

Thanks Phil. I would be delighted to take you up on the offer one day! What part of Australia are you in?

Hi Phil

The latest pics, the bungee set up l have removed some of the nylon slide for the nose leg steering and made a plate to act as a bearing on the top to take some of the load from the bungee it is a lot smoother now .

l only have 40 mm travel in the nose leg so the nose wheel should take up some of the shock its a 8.00x6.00 tyre.

cheers Geoff.

DSCF0003.JPG.ce3bdb3826d612f83d897499a052f81c.JPG

DSCF0004.JPG.ae3581219f3dd79538ed92c420219f0c.JPG

DSCF0005.JPG.23d6e3c3fbc3a157441fa4035f340f0f.JPG

DSCF0034.JPG.78db382365e8fe388d3a188c8b0b4706.JPG

Hi Geoff just had a quick trip to Melbourne on the way back droped in an had a look at the 582 on ebay very corroded on the out side has no covers on the carbs but had good copression what do you think, Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

It will be good for parts gear box, carbys, exhaust, ignition. it might be still alright inside will need new seals .

offer him $300. if it doesn't sell.even at his price will still be alright.

cheers Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Phil

Here is an update on my progress l am mounting the engine now as l have finished the over haul when it sits on the mount it looks like it has heaps of off set but if l measure from the firewall to each side of the gear box flange it is 5mm shorter to the left.

not sure how they calculate best position.,

l have some pics see if you can pick it don't laugh at my wheels front has duels that's all l could fined to set the engine on till l get my new set.

cheers Geoff.

DSCF0027.JPG.1ea52bf6b5f0e85f0fa5c82dc1dcf34c.JPG

DSCF0032-001.JPG.0419d8045c933c227f24984d9a122c8c.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Geoff

This is the materials list from my old plans

14 sheets .o16-4x12ft

2sheets .025-4x12ft

1pc .032-4x8ft

1pc .040-4x8ft

1pc .063-2x4ft

1pc .090-2x4ft

1pc .125-2x2ft

all sheet 6061 T6

Cheers Phil

Hi GeoffThis is the materials list from my old plans

14 sheets .o16-4x12ft

2sheets .025-4x12ft

1pc .032-4x8ft

1pc .040-4x8ft

1pc .063-2x4ft

1pc .090-2x4ft

1pc .125-2x2ft

all sheet 6061 T6

Cheers Phil

Thanks Phil more sheets than l thought would be used in the build.

Ordered my nose wheel and Brakes today got a price from skyshop in Queensland and it was cheaper with shipping to buy from the US .

cheers Geoff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff

How is the plane going?I have done most of the fuel lines new tap on the out side purge tank in, only need to bolt my fuel pump on the fire wall nosewheel buggie and my my new nosewheel cap.

My engine mount cowl and prop are on there way hope to have them before easter are you going to natfly Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Still coming along slowly hoping to start the 912 on the weekend see how it runs after the rebuild,got the new nose wheel and tyres still wait for my brakes fitted most of the instruments .

Been playing with the Drifter rebuilt another 503 for it to much to do never enough time,

going to Yarram on the weekend to fly a Savannah .

Don't think l will be able to get to Natfly this year.

Going to Farm World tomorrow.

Hi Met

Glad to hear the fox flys well been awhile in the making it will good to see you over here we have the 1000mt runway at Lardner for you .

Cheers Geoff.

1000m,,,nah, I haven't got too exact yet but I reckon I'm getting airborne pretty short, how longs your farm strip, it'll give me something to aim for?

Hi Met farm strip is 200mts you will have to work getting in its only one way in and out, easy with the drifter but got to be on the numbers in the Fox .

cheers Geoff.

Hi GeoffDid you go flying inthe sav on the weekend Cheers phil

Hi Phil

Yes l did go flying in the Sav fly's great it takes getting used to the long nose handles really well easy to fly if the 701 flys as good l will be very happy going again on the 6 of April get some more lessons in the Sav.

Have you got your parts yet for your engine mount and cowl .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Thats good you enjoyed flying the sav has it got you working on the 701 a bit harder?Just received my parts today, engine mount fits like a glove and the cowl does not need much work to make it fit a bit better only need some time now to put it all together.

Cheers phil

Hi Phil

Yes got to get working on the 701 just waiting for my brakes to come, fitted the nose wheel and new Tyre today also made inspection windows for the wing strut attachments just to keep an eye on things inside .

After losing Wayne Fisher l am extra cautious on everything now what a waste of a great pilot and great guy shouldn't of happened used to speak to Wayne a lot when l used to build my drifters .

cheers Geoff.