Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Was this Hans's Zenith? (it has a Savannah-style empennage, I think)

No mate, my plane is still in Kilcoy and very happy with,I think it is the best flying 701 around ,off cause that is my opinion .

Over the years I did a far bit of modification on the plane ,I did since 2004 , 1150 Hrs.

Regarding the tail ,yes I have a savannah stabiliser and elevator on it ,big difference !

Happy flying. Hans

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Hi Hans, no not yours ( or Phils) but ex- Genes apparantly. I have been discussing its history with JG with PMs, and the use or non-use of the 30 deg of flap as supplied in the earlier models. John has suggested it be altered to only allow 15 deg max and that sounds like a good idea to me ..............Cheers......Ross

Thanks JG....going bush now but will get back to you in a day or so, thanks for the info........... Cheers, Ross

Hi Hans, no not yours ( or Phils) but ex- Genes apparantly. I have been discussing its history with JG with PMs, and the use or non-use of the 30 deg of flap as supplied in the earlier models. John has suggested it be altered to only allow 15 deg max and that sounds like a good idea to me ..............Cheers......Ross

First of all, a correction. Turns out that's not Phil's plane from Kilcoy, which Hans just flew to Airlie Beach last week. The one you're speaking of must be Gene's former aircraft, which left Kilcoy several years ago. And Hans says to say that it's definitely not his!

Yes, 30 deg should be locked out. Zenith discontinued that setting many years ago, and now only offers 15 deg. It's not as if it's an imminent threat, but if pushed to just the right limit it can bite.... Savannah at 30 deg will also do the same if pushed to the limit.

- To test that, at a respectable altitude, get into a really slow steep climb at full power with 30 deg flaps.

- Initiate a roll to the left, simulating a common take-off scenario caused by full power engine torque at low airspeed.

- Then throw the stick to the right to correct the roll (not the correct response, but a common reaction.)

- Be ready for a snap roll to the LEFT, opposite the aileron input.

What's happened is that, with the flaperon deployed already at 30 deg, then adding more deflection with the stick, the flaperon has stalled and lost the considerable lift it was giving..... It won't happen every time, and you may not even be able to get to happen, but it can, and is the most dramatic departure that I've ever found with these normally very docile and forgiving aircraft. It's worse with slats due to the much increased drag at that AofA....

I know of one incident in Canada with a 701 doing exactly this. He took off and hauled it back to practice a very short take-off and steep climb. Experienced a roll to the left, caused by the torque, and possibly enhanced by a gusty crosswind. Reacted by throwing the stick to the right, and then rolled sharply to the left and hit the ground and cartwheeled... Big damage..... I know of a couple of take-off crashes in Australia, with 30 deg flaps on Savannahs that I reckon also fit this scenario, but won't mention names.....

Don't need flaps at all with these aircraft. Just have a look at Hans take-off with no slats and no flap in his 701

Who needs more STOL than that!

Early on, Hans had a heavy landing that destroyed his landing gear, while using slats and 30 deg flaps (a common experience with 701's in that configuration). Since then he has 1000 hrs without slats and never uses flaps, and is forever showing off impressive STOL maneuvers.

No safety issues with VGs instead of slats, just fly it like a regular aircraft, but with a softer and more progressive stall. Slats have a much narrower margin, and need more skill to retain airspeed for a comfortable touch-down.

JG

No mate, my plane is still in Kilcoy and very happy with,I think it is the best flying 701 around ,off cause that is my opinion .Over the years I did a far bit of modification on the plane ,I did since 2004 , 1150 Hrs.

Regarding the tail ,yes I have a savannah stabiliser and elevator on it ,big difference !

Happy flying. Hans

G'day Hans, I've been asking a few people for ideas on sealing the nosewheel steering rods where they penetrate the firewall. I didn't think to look at yours when I was up there, do you mind me asking what was your solution. I have seen a few but am not convinced they would keep out exhaust fumes. There was a suggestion on here to use CV joint boots which may be the way to go, if I can find a stockist!

G'day Hans, I've been asking a few people for ideas on sealing the nosewheel steering rods where they penetrate the firewall. I didn't think to look at yours when I was up there, do you mind me asking what was your solution. I have seen a few but am not convinced they would keep out exhaust fumes. There was a suggestion on here to use CV joint boots which may be the way to go, if I can find a stockist!

Hi mate,

Yes that is the way I did it and it works well ,I bought them at a auto spare shop.

Cheers .Hans.

I think Derek will give you a shake! Cheers Steve H...

Mate, whilst flattery is always nice I have to say that if mine performs half as well as Hans's I'll be more than happy. Apart from the Savannah tailplane, fitted at Hans's recommendation, my aeroplane is "bog standard" I still have the slats and don't have the cabin roof modification. The difficult thing for me will be to learn to fly it properly, I need to get current again and would like to find a GA school operating something with a similar performance!

Mate, whilst flattery is always nice I have to say that if mine performs half as well as Hans's I'll be more than happy. Apart from the Savannah tailplane, fitted at Hans's recommendation, my aeroplane is "bog standard" I still have the slats and don't have the cabin roof modification. The difficult thing for me will be to learn to fly it properly, I need to get current again and would like to find a GA school operating something with a similar performance!

Still you plane looks very nice ,these planes are so easy to fly ,you will get there,take your time .

What was the reason that you kept the slat's?Hans.

Still you plane looks very nice ,these planes are so easy to fly ,you will get there,take your time .What was the reason that you kept the slat's?Hans.

Half the reason I wanted to build it was that it has slats. It is such an ugly little plane it is almost beautiful! A bit like the Catalina. Could also say that they were perhaps the hardest bit to fabricate so I didn't want to waste the effort.

• Like 1

Half the reason I wanted to build it was that it has slats. It is such an ugly little plane it is almost beautiful! A bit like the Catalina. Could also say that they were perhaps the hardest bit to fabricate so I didn't want to waste the effort.

I agree ,it is almost beautiful,over the years it grows on you ,when I sit in the plane it feels like home.(sort off)

About the slats I was the same ,it looked so cool,but I am over that and J G did not help ,he was hassling me ,to get rid off the slats after a lot off testing ,slats on and slats off I decided to do it ,I really believe it was the right decision ,it flies great.

Off cause extending the wings really helped.

Anyway have a good one Mate .H.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

......... J G did not help ,he was hassling me ,to get rid off the slats after a lot off testing......

Hassling??? Not completely accurate.......

It was on our first trip to Tasmania, that Hans really took notice. On the trip to Cape York the year before, we both had slats on and we both burned the same amount of fuel. On the trip to Tassie I had taken the slats off and at every refill I needed less fuel than he did. Totaled $250 less cost for the trip. (He's a Dutchman you see, so $$$ really get his attention.) 020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

JG

• Like 2

Hi Geoff

What do you think of my barn find 97 hours on the clock needs a bit of clean and engine looked at.Do you think the 701 will mind sharing the same shed space for few weeks . Can you pm your phone numbers slashed my phone last week?How is your 701 Going.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

looks good hope you got it for a good price let it share the hanger for awhile but don't forget to finish you 701 ..

mines coming along slowly few distractions at home at the moment but hope ready before Christmas .

cheers Geoff.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished all my painting this morning, only assembly to do now and of course all the niggly bits of calibration, ADs etc. I will say this, if I ever get broke enough to have to go back to work, it wont be as a spray painter! I have always said that I am not building a show plane and that is just as well because it isn't. Having said that, even the planes painted for Arena by professionals at Archerfield had runs and sags but I as the engineer was the only one who noticed. Might manage to get it assembled by Christmas but I'm not banking on it, life has a habit of getting in the way, since it has finally decided to rain again that means I have to mow and since the ride-on has sat idle for months, it of course, didn't want to start!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As I thought, life got in the way again! Hopefully get the wings on tomorrow! On another tack, I was driving past Hermanns road Prenzlau today and saw what looked like a CH701 running outside a shed. Can anyone tell me who this is and if he is a forum member?

Hi ,I met him in Kilcoy ,his name is Gavin,he bought the plane from B.J in Atherton ,I don,t have a phone number ,he is at 5 Hermanns rd Prenzlau

Of he is a member ,I don't know

Cheers. Hans .