Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Well I was trying to be encouraging! When the kids get older getting some time for yourself gets easier, but investing time in your family is probably one of the best investments a person could make.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Agree 1

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I was trying to be encouraging! When the kids get older getting some time for yourself gets easier, but investing time in your family is probably one of the best investments a person could make.002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Oh I know... and fully admit it's my own lack of motivation, after the kids are in bed at 7:30 I could go down to the (cold) shed 2 or 3 evenings a week for 3 hours at a time. Guess it's like exercise, I don't do that either. 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 070_sleep.gif.1c8d367a0c12958f2106584470af404d.gif

I find my wife and remaining live in daughter don't stay long when they come to visit the build site, not being a woman, I can't paint, cleco, deburr and rivet while conversing as well, so conversation has to go!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Hi PhilHere are the pics of the wing mounts that l have made they are going in to savannah[ATTACH]23673[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23674[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]23675[/ATTACH] wing struts .

cheers Geoff.

Lovely work Geoff - those welds look very nice. I wish I could weld but I'd never trust it, so will be outsourcing all the welding work.

Hi Marty l can weld alright but I had a aircraft welder do the welds just to be sure they were perfect . he does a excellent job ..

are you putting the standard struts on or aero foil type ,l got some second hand struts off a savannah trying get reduce some drag on the 701..

cheers Geoff.

Hey Geoff,

I bought all the round tube for the struts so will probably use them unless another set of Sav ones comes up. Had thought of adding bent 0.016" 6061-T6 front and rear to form an airfoil shape,

upload_2013-9-28_20-39-54.png.e3f1bd1ad568ffca9a35e885e440c56f.png

but shying away from the idea of riveting to the strut in case it weakens it.

How did you go with the size of the Sav ones, did you have to shorten / lengthen or are they identical?

Cheers, Marty

Hi Marty l had to lengthen them that's why l have made the attachments longer for the extra length required .

l wasn't keen in drilling holes in the tube to fit aero foil material because the are only 0.49 tube and it will weaken them .

cheers Geoff ..

I was looking at a CH701 at Coominya the other week and it has Lightwing streamlined struts fitted, also Zenith themselves had instructions for fitting fairings to the struts and they were 0.016 alal riveted to the tubes. Hans at Kilkoy tells me that the "burble" off the round struts causes disturbance over the tail during landing. I am going to ring Lightwing this week and order a set of struts, not only do they reduce drag and solve the turbulence problem but they look infinitely better.

Hi Derekliston

Yes l did contact light wing also l was going to get theirs but a set of savannah strut came along l had been talk some 701 owners in the US and they said the same as Hans did the round struts cause a heap of drag and effect the tail plane in slow flight l am also going to clean up the gap under the tail plane as it causes disturb air .

cheers Geoff.

There was talk of a company in the US that made plastic fairings that slipped over the tubes, only needed a couple of screws to hold them to the tubes. Here's a link... http://www.uflyit.com/streamline_fairings.htm

Price isn't bad, $180 - $200 US for 4 lengths (8 ft each for the small, 10 ft for the large). Postage would probably be a bit of a bugger though, they sting you on the long items.

• Helpful 1

Hi All

Your wing mounts look great Geoff very nice welding job. I am waiting for the new bungee then i can start mounting the engine back on, all the bolts and spacers are drilled for safety wirer, throttle and choke cables made up, cowl nearly done,only need to make up a battery holder. Have cut and shaped new dash only need to cut holes for gages.What do you use to cut holes and what size and type of battery do what i need for the 582?

cheers Phil

Hi Geoff

Thanks mate that will be good. got the new bungee today its to big so they are sending another one, Going to put the engine on today, waiting to here back from Bert flood regarding the oil eject, bit of sanding of the cowls. Blowing a gale down here got wet twice so home for the day.Cheers Phil