Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi Geoff

It is sad when you lose some body close to you.Mate i done a bit of flying with died last week only 2 years older than me . There seams to be a plane going down every week .Do you no what went wrong with the plane Wayne was flying?

Cheers Phil

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phil

No l haven't heard the cause of the crash but with such an experienced pilot it has to be mechanical failure of some sort,we have to be so vigilant building these aircraft any simple mistake can cause tragedy .

cheers Geoff.

.... also made inspection windows for the wing strut attachments just to keep an eye on things inside ...

Hi Geoff,

I'm interested in this inspection window. Where exactly does this go? What needs keeping an eye on??

Do you have a picture of this mod???

Hi EK the window is at the wing strut attachment on the leading edge strut on the wing.

This is the reason l have done it just to check it easy so hopefully this doesn't happen

cheers Geoff.

PIC_0061.JPG.6a8284359af01388a80601c398888fa6.JPG

PIC_0064.JPG.2f55a0fca5ec98ba3e5c28ea62dca587.JPG

• Like 1

Where are you doing the savannah time Geoff? They have a nice one at lilydale, I had a go in it a while back

Hi Met l am doing it at Yarram great plane to fly the only problem l had was l had my feet on the toe brakes when coming in to land one wheel grab on touch down l will have to get used to toe brakes, you should fly the fox over there one weekend .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Met l am doing it at Yarram great plane to fly the only problem l had was l had my feet on the toe brakes when coming in to land one wheel grab on touch down l will have to get used to toe brakes, you should fly the fox over there one weekend .cheers Geoff.

Will do, the sav has a crazy attitude at best climb angle, to some getting used to ,it was also the only modern ultralight I've flown that dropped a wing in the stall, did it every time, it wasn't disastrous but it did get my attention

Hi Geoff

After looking at the broken wing mounts on the sav.Your inspection holes are a good idea.I striped the paint of the engine mount and welded another top plate, one hole did not line up. I mounted the engine last night but it did not want to mount flush up against the aluminum mounts the rubber engine mounts are stoping it going all the way up, do you have spacers in between Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Not sure what part you mean, l have lord mounts between the chrome moly and the aluminium mount.

Post a pic so l can check it out .

Cheers Geoff.

Finally got the SAAA MPC out of the way, might be able to get back to my aeroplane. Always other things to get in the way though. Wish it wouldn't rain so much and I wouldn't have to mow so often.

67994451_MyAeroplane347.JPG.aba231f85fc6cac13d1cf1684c57367c.JPG

720652279_MyAeroplane351.JPG.7b248eed3e76753d7f6c4fe5c6d97547.JPG

1365403460_MyAeroplane348.JPG.cb1121ad72b93f52665541bae3abedc4.JPG

• Agree 1

Its a choice depending on your situation doesn't matter to the engines operations.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I understand that the engine doesn't care, but my question was to Phillip King.

In the case of that particular installation, what is the reason for mounting it inverted ?

With the gearbox mounted 'right way up' it appears to give a high propellor line.

Hi DerekLike the pics looks like you are doing a great job on the plane I like the way you have done the the cowl, did you fabricate the hole thing yourself?

Cheers Phil

No, bought the nose bowls from Jabiru, made life a bit difficult, looks better in the photos but should be Ok by the time I finish it. Nose bowls are too wide for the firewall really so took alot of thought and a lot of effort to get it looking right. Still not happy with my cowl latches but they will have to do until I find something better.

Its a Stol plane the bigger the prop the better so higher the prop line the more ground clearance Cheers Phil

Thanks Phillip, does the necessarily high cowling it have an impact on forward visibility ?

Hi Phil

Went to do an engine test after rebuild but starter motor wont turn engine over to much compression will have to pull start off must be a bit sad hasn't got enough grunt l have a spare problem with the 701 l have to remove the engine from the aircraft to remove the starter motor the mount is in the way bad design .

Have you done any more to your motor installation.

cheers Geoff.

Thanks Phillip, does the necessarily high cowling it have an impact on forward visibility ?

I do a bit of flying in the sav witch does fly nose high. have not had a fly in a 701 (can not wait)but looking at youtube the 701 flies the same, time will tell.

Cheers Phil

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Phil

Have check the earths it is in the trigger coils not sure if the case is to old for the new ignition system ,its like the timing is out runs perfect on one ignition soon as l switch the other one on it runs rough swapped everything over and all of the bits are working properly always comes back the bottom trigger coil no adjustment they are set, new cdi modules might be to advanced has me baffled. is like they fighting against each other .

cheers Geoff.