Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi ,I met him in Kilcoy ,his name is Gavin,he bought the plane from B.J in Atherton ,I don,t have a phone number ,he is at 5 Hermanns rd PrenzlauOf he is a member ,I don't know

Cheers. Hans .

Thanks Hans, I'll drop in when passing one day. Finally managed to fit the wings today but as usual life gets in the way. I'm in NSW for the next week so again nothing will be done. Keep meaning to get up to Kilcoy to say hello again but that is more time that doesn't get spent on the aeroplane. Incidentally, I now have a pair of wing storage cradles available should they be of use to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove out to Coominya airstrip this morning to fit the rear struts, wracked my brain to figure out what tools I would need, decided I had everything then 35kms later, on the far side of Fernvale, realised the struts were still at home!!!

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Hi All 701 builders

Would anybody have the nicopress measurements for 1/8th cables?How are all the 701 builders going ?I have the wiring (have no idea how to do) plumb the motor to the radiator, new cables a bit of painting, mount the battery put the wings on and see if it will fly.Going on past 6 mouths effort working on the 701 that could be in 2 years time.

Cheers Phil

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

image.jpg.4f819f2df4ed4252bce0ceae7897d843.jpg

Here's some photos of a new 701 up in the Whitsundays........barn find near Alice Springs...dirt cheap !....low time 912 100 HP. Slats removed VGs fitted. New set of paddle jumper floats enroute for it..maybe here for Xmas. Owner also has a XL Savannah. Prev owned by Ole at the Hornet factory Tarree apparently.

image.jpg.950ec9380e509a29653a47ef35590012.jpg

Hi Marty

Are you scratch building or kit? and what type of engine have you chosen?just found my rotax installation cd bit of reading before i go to bed .

Hi Maj

She looks the goods, what does she cruisers at I am going the same way no slats and VGs.

Cheers Phil

• Winner 1

Hi MartyAre you scratch building or kit? and what type of engine have you chosen?just found my rotax installation cd bit of reading before i go to bed .

Hi Maj

She looks the goods, what does she cruisers at I am going the same way no slats and VGs.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

I'm scratch building from plans & photo assembly guide. After a lot of thought I'm going to go with Rotax because of the reputation for reliability - had been tempted by BMW motorbike engine with Take-Off drive, but I think it's probably wiser to stick with Rotax. Haven't decided on 100 or 80HP yet - figure I have a few years before I'll be doing anything forward of the firewall!

I'm going the traditional route and leaving the slats on.

Maj - that 701 even looks like a Hornet - same nose!

Guest Maj Millard
Hi Phil,I'm scratch building from plans & photo assembly guide. After a lot of thought I'm going to go with Rotax because of the reputation for reliability - had been tempted by BMW motorbike engine with Take-Off drive, but I think it's probably wiser to stick with Rotax. Haven't decided on 100 or 80HP yet - figure I have a few years before I'll be doing anything forward of the firewall!

Yes she's got that Ole touch.......

Hi MartyHave a look at the 701 zenith builders site type in Landon Goudreau see what you think of his landing gear. Would like to do the same on mine.

Cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

Looks like a great setup! I wouldn't be adventurous enough to make large changes like that to the design, but I admire those who are. Judging by his comments they work extremely well.

I've already bought a second hand undercarriage from a wrecked Sav, so will be using that as the mainspring is pretty much the same as the 701 and is complete with standard wheels & brakes. I also have the 8' length of aluminium for the mainspring so I have a spare if this one bends!

I'm scratch building from plans & photo assembly guide. After a lot of thought I'm going to go with Rotax because of the reputation for reliability - had been tempted by BMW motorbike engine with Take-Off drive, but I think it's probably wiser to stick with Rotax. Haven't decided on 100 or 80HP yet - figure I have a few years before I'll be doing anything forward of the firewall!

Maj - that 701 even looks like a Hornet - same nose!?

I agree. I wonder of Ole was using that Zenith as a test bed for Hornet development?

Hi Phil,I'm scratch building from plans & photo assembly guide. After a lot of thought I'm going to go with Rotax because of the reputation for reliability - had been tempted by BMW motorbike engine with Take-Off drive, but I think it's probably wiser to stick with Rotax. Haven't decided on 100 or 80HP yet - figure I have a few years before I'll be doing anything forward of the firewall!

How far are you with your build, Marty?

Finally had first flight yesterday, good to know it actually flies. Question though for 701 owners, in flight the rear end of the plastic bubble doors suck open about 25mm. I'd like to know if others have had that problem and how they fixed it. I have safety latches on the front of the doors but hadn't even considered this possibility.

• Like 3

Finally had first flight yesterday, good to know it actually flies. Question though for 701 owners, in flight the rear end of the plastic bubble doors suck open about 25mm. I'd like to know if others have had that problem and how they fixed it. I have safety latches on the front of the doors but hadn't even considered this possibility.

Let us know how you go with the bubble doors, as I have bubble doors included in my Cruzer Kit, Alan (zenith Aust) did mention that an extra latch is needed.. As I have just opened the crate it'll be awhile before I get to the doors LOL....

Regards Keith

How far are you with your build, Marty?

I've made the tailfeathers, right wing and just about to rivet the skeleton of the left one. Got slats, flaperons & fuse to go, then I believe it gets difficult... 033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

• Like 1

I remember reading on the zenith.aero site that a number of 701's have lost doors in-flight (bubble type) if they're not secured properly. I'd definitely look at the 3-point latch if I were you!

I've emailed Zenair Australia to find out if there is a triple latch kit available, otherwise I will ask the same question of Savannah. Another question for 701 drivers, what are you using for a pilot's flight manual?

Derek, the latch kits are made here in Australia but the rod lengths are different for Savannah VG compared to SavannahXL/S so at most you would need to get the rods made to suit your doors by measurement, they aren't mass produced so that wouldn't be a problem, each set are made to order.

• Agree 1

Derek, the latch kits are made here in Australia but the rod lengths are different for Savannah VG compared to SavannahXL/S so at most you would need to get the rods made to suit your doors by measurement, they aren't mass produced so that wouldn't be a problem, each set are made to order.

One such kit is found here: http://www.aerokits.net.au/prod02.htm

• 1 month later...

Maj Millard should know a lot about it as its from his stomping ground. Although 263kg empty (which seems to be very light considering what is in it) and 500 mtow...234kg for 2 people and fuel?.....it is certainly cheap enough