Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi Phil

l am wait for the wind to stop so l can take it outside and rig the wings so l can make the jury struts .It was blowing that hard here l had a chook lay the same egg twice , what do you have on your ends of your control cables to attach to rudder and elevator and peddles l had some thin flat aluminium plates only 20thou the plans call for 40 thou l have bought some stainless shackles' rated at 1500 kgs wasn't happy with they had on it .

cheers Geoff..

• Haha 1

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Geoff

Sorry for the slow reply,I have stainless d shackles with bolt and nut and cotter pins on all the control cables. Had to alter my cowl for the exhaust not happy but all done,next job is to drill and tap mounts for throttle and choke cables,made up exhaust brackets and need to order the bolts for the prop. Where do you buy your prop bolts from and what size battery do you think i need for my 582?

Cheers Phil

Hi Derek l am using some Cv boots of a car l bought made a ring out of aluminium to suit put some tabs on in riveted to the fire wall and put clamps around them buy them from any auto shop cut the rings off the boots to suit the size your after.

cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil

l got the prop bolts from BJ bearings where l live they are just high tensile cap bolts .

not sure on battery size depends on who much room you have and the weight because you can use it to change your Cof G when its time to balance the plane .

cheers Geoff.

Hi GeoffThanks for the info will chase up some bolts this week.

Hi Derek

You 701 is looking great.What prop pitch have you put on your plane? will be interesting see how it goes.

Cheers Phil

60in dia x 38in pitch. Jabiru prop, their recommended size for the 701, I too will be interested to see how it goes!

Guest Maj Millard

Since I'm on the site here can anyone offer any advice . We have a new Zenith 701 in the area (ex-Kilcoy ), it has the slats removed, standard leading edge with VGs. The flap lever is placarded 'don't use ' !!.......it was flown up here so obviously it flys, but what's with the no use of the flaps..Is the VG installation offically approved for this model, are there any 'danger' areas we should be aware of with the no use of the flaps ??????,........

any info appreciated................Maj.....034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Since I'm on the site here can anyone offer any advice . We have a new Zenith 701 in the area (ex-Kilcoy ), it has the slats removed, standard leading edge with VGs. The flap lever is placarded 'don't use ' !!.......it was flown up here so obviously it flys, but what's with the no use of the flaps..Is the VG installation offically approved for this model, are there any 'danger' areas we should be aware of with the no use of the flaps ??????,........any info appreciated................Maj.....034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

Was this Hans's Zenith? (it has a Savannah-style empennage, I think)

Hi Maj

Mine had Vgs when l purchased it and the flaps were in use all the information on the Zenith web site that others have put Vgs on all still have flaps in use cant see any reason why they wouldn't be able to be used ,they prefer flaps on to get the stol effect ,l am putting the slats back on mine .

cheers Geoff.

Since I'm on the site here can anyone offer any advice . We have a new Zenith 701 in the area (ex-Kilcoy ), it has the slats removed, standard leading edge with VGs. The flap lever is placarded 'don't use ' !!.......it was flown up here so obviously it flys, but what's with the no use of the flaps..Is the VG installation offically approved for this model, are there any 'danger' areas we should be aware of with the no use of the flaps ??????,........any info appreciated................Maj.....034_puzzled.gif.ea6a44583f14fcd2dd8b8f63a724e3de.gif

That was Phil's 701. He flew it a lot, every Sunday for some years, around and around in circuit, many hundreds of nice landings. He didn't use flaps, and it flew really well just like that. It was an early model that had the provision for 30 degree flaps, which Zenith later deleted. With 30* you can get a flaperon stall and wing drop with a sudden aileron application. The 30* doesn't give all that much more STOL anyhow, so he didn't use flaps at all, and still did excellent STOL performance.

JG