Zenith CH-701 thread

eightyknots

Hi Phil the bottom bearing looks good do you have a bearing on top of the nose leg ,the whole air craft is coming along nicely your a bit more advanced that mine .What stops the top of the nose leg hitting your engine mount tubes ..

l changed the joy stick today l have put a savannah controls on l think they are a lot better than the 701s and installed my headed tank also off a savannah l have started to install the savannah wing tanks it will be half 701 and half savannah l will have to change its name.savy701.

l am looking for a rubber boots to put on the steering rods l don't like the slide .

What size tyres do you have on .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

It's been great to read all the posts in this thread, you guys are really going ahead with your 701's!

I'm plans building and about 5 years from finishing, have only done rudder/stab/elevators and half of one wing so far.

You said you used Savannah wing tanks, I also plan to do this. How did you secure them? Plans show the 701 tanks sitting on cork strips on bottom skins and the U section brackets holding them in place all around, did you do a similar method?

Also, did you have to move the tank spars at all, or do the Sav tanks fit in the same space as the 701?

Thanks, and thanks for all the info in your posts.

Cheers, Marty

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Marty

l got my wing tanks through this site plus some other parts that come up now and then its a great .

The sav wing tanks fit really nice into the wings l sat them on some foam strips which have sticky on one side they are fuel resistant

l bent up some brackets to hold the tank in place riveted all in similar to the 701 plans ,l will see if l can find some pics for you.

Because my was one of the first here in OZ it was only designed for the 582 but had a 912 when l got it so l have had to pull it all apart to do all the upgrades to get it up to the weight category and strength to suit the 912 , it would of been quicker to build a new one from scratch.

Plus the front fire wall was really damaged so l have had to rebuild it also, my has a 750 nose wheel leg on it now and l have beefed up all of the components it should last especially on my rough strip.

l still have a bit to go l am hoping to have it finish just after winter.

Good to swap ideas on this site l have learnt a lot off the other 701 and savy builders on here .

If you read Marks building dairy on the sav you will pickup some great knowledge.

Good luck with you build keep us informed .

cheers Geoff..

If you read Mark's building diary on the sav you will pickup some great knowledge.

It's a great read. It has had 40,000 views so far and no wonder. Mark put a lot of effort into describing the many steps as well as supplying the many helpful photographs. The link is: http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/another-new-savannah-xl-on-its-way.10493/

096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

Ah good one EK... I had a quick look for Mark's diary last night and couldn't find it, was going to ask Geoff where it was.

Geoff, interested in those fuel resistant foam strips you used for the tanks, don't suppose you remember brand name?

Thanks, Marty

• 1 month later...

Hi Geoff

What you up to on the 701?I have got the shape of my cowls right and the z channel in and my dash pulled apart but work is keeping me busy. Went for a couple of flights on the weekend. Did you hear about one of our club members had an engine out in his jab 430 in a remote area in capeyork , landed the plane safe it was a through bolt broke.This guy has spent big bucks on the motor water cooled heads the lot he must be pissed.Do you no any body that has used the split motor bike radiators for a 582 i want to try and keep the radiators inside the cowls if i can the raditor that i got off Tom is a bit hard to hide under the cowl. Cheers Phil

Hi Phil

Good to hear that he landed safely he will be pissed off with that motor ,haven't done much on 701 been fly the drifter lately l have been doing some house renos but l have to get it finished soon .

l took the tundra tires off the 701 stuck them on the Drifter run ways getting wet they help a lot so l had to buy another set to put back on the 701 just got to get new wind screen make up some seats finish installing the instruments and make the new wing strut mounts , and a bit more painting getting closer to the finish its getting a bit cold at night to og out their getting to soft in my old age .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Phil

don't no of any body using that split system for the radiators only using a mini radiator in a Drifter so long as you have enough surface area they should work fine .

cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff

I have a mate that has a spare split radiator, going to pick it up tomorrow see if i can work it into the cowl, if it fits i will order one on ebay, I was talking to a fella that services the carbon cubs today he was saying that some have only done 200 hours and are falling apart, being so lightly built they cant handle the horse power.Bugger was going to buy one when i win tatts will have to stick to the 701.

Cheers Phil

ps any 701 builders reading this site how is your build going ?

Hi GeoffI have a mate that has a spare split radiator, going to pick it up tomorrow see if i can work it into the cowl, if it fits i will order one on ebay, I was talking to a fella that services the carbon cubs today he was saying that some have only done 200 hours and are falling apart, being so lightly built they cant handle the horse power.Bugger was going to buy one when i win tatts will have to stick to the 701.

Cheers Phil

ps any 701 builders reading this site how is your build going ?

Jeez at the price they are asking, I would them to last at least 50 years.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi EK progress has slowed down to cold at night to go out and work in the shed ,it is getting closer .

Have you chosen your plane yet that you will build .

Cheers Geoff.

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the pics.I have started making the brackets.Went for a quick fly in my mates sav on the weekend 2 minutes flying from the airport over the beach and 7 whales in the bay what a great sight.

Cheers Phil

Hi EK

Have been slowly working on the 701 i am so time poor these days drives me nuts.I have spent too much time on the cowl ,changing my mind where to put the radiator and all the bits and pieces that go under the cowl but getting there. If you are going to build a plane you need 30 hours or more a week otherwise it will take to long and you will loose interest that is my thoughts anyway.

Cheers Phil

Hi EKHave been slowly working on the 701 i am so time poor these days drives me nuts.I have spent too much time on the cowl ,changing my mind where to put the radiator and all the bits and pieces that go under the cowl but getting there. If you are going to build a plane you need 30 hours or more a week otherwise it will take to long and you will loose interest that is my thoughts anyway.

Cheers Phil

Oh dear, I am only counting on 8-10 hours per week. We'll have to think that through when the time comes.

eightyknots if you did manage 10 hrs per week, and work on the build for say 40 weeks per year (time off for holidays, family commitments etc) and you are say 80% efficient (allowance for rework etc) for a 500 hour build (Savannah) then it will still take only 19 months. Promise the better half that you'll only need the garage for two years with a nice holiday at the end!

Phil - we all get discouraged from time to time, but keep on truckin, look at the end goal - your own aircraft that you built!!

• Like 1

Hi Phil

Hoped the pics helped what have you got for your steering push rods the allthread that zenith have l am changing mine to the savannah ones bit stronger .

cheers Geoff .

Good Day All,Are there any builders of the 701 in SE QLD?

I'm after some info and a look at either a build or completed kit.

Regards,

Tadge

Go and talk to Hans at Kilcoy: I did and he will tell you everything "straight" as he sees it. He is a nice chap and well worth talking to. If you want to contact him, send a private message to Forum Member JG3 who is also based at Kilcoy.

Thanks 80, I'll follow that up.Regards,

Tadge

Also PM DerekListon on here, he is a retired LAME building a 701 in western Brisbane/ northern Ipswich area, I spent far less time with him recently than I would have liked to, he is so close to finished, just a little way to go.

Hi Geoff

Yes mine are the Zenith supplied ones going to stick with them see how they go, Got one side of the seat brackets finished last night going out to do a bit on the cowl tonight.I have a new radiator, mounting it in the front have cut the hole now making a scoop for it.Cheers Phil

• 2 weeks later...
eightyknots if you did manage 10 hrs per week, and work on the build for say 40 weeks per year (time off for holidays, family commitments etc) and you are say 80% efficient (allowance for rework etc) for a 500 hour build (Savannah) then it will still take only 19 months. Promise the better half that you'll only need the garage for two years with a nice holiday at the end!Phil - we all get discouraged from time to time, but keep on truckin, look at the end goal - your own aircraft that you built!!

Even 10 hours a week is shooting for the moon when you have a young family... I have trouble getting more than about 2-3 hours a week - some weeks!

Think I need to make my shed more comfortable.

• Agree 1