Need to fly...But have some reservations...

Hi...I am 40 years old...I was lucky enough to have enjoyed an aviation upbringing in North West Queensland where my dad flew sailplanes for many years.

I have had the flying bug my whole life but sadly have never attained my license or flown much since I was 16 years old.

I became a follower of Ra-Aus aviation many years ago and even managed to convince my dad that ultralights were not the crazy dangerous machines we were raised to believe...He did an ultralight conversion with Trevor Bange on a Drifter at Rainbow Beach where he now lives...Sadly due to health and perhaps the death of his best mate/flying buddy in an accident on takeoff from Toowoomba several years ago he has not realised his dream of aircraft ownership...This accident really affected all of us and bought home the thin line that all pilots operate on. Even now years later this accident is something I think about often...and this brings me to my question.

I want...no...I need to fly. It is something I, like many others, have spent my whole life dreaming about. I now find myself in the position to be able, I believe, to afford it financially. It may mean tightening the purse strings a little for my family (I have a 5 year old daughter) but to me the inspiration to be had from flying far outweighs the financial cost.

But...something stops me every time I decide to commit...I have my partner who is quite happy with me getting my Ra-Aus license and buying a Drifter of similar...but I really don't think she understands the implications of an aircraft accident and she regularly says "How many seats does that one have?" with the idea that I can take the family for flights...

I guess once I start my training these worries will disappear?

I started flying at 48. I have a younger wife with a 10 year old son that means the world to both of us, her especially as I have other children.

My son flies with me on every occasion he can. My wife isn't so keen. One day I half-teased "you don't trust me!!" She replied instantly "if i didn't trust you then Anthony wouldn't be flying with you"

You can be too hard on yourself. Respect peoples faith in you. XXXX happens but it doesn't have to happen to you.

Guest drizzt1978

Every time somebody dies in an aircraft accident, I look very very hard at why, can I learn from it??? Could i have avoided that situation.

Every time I get in a car I think to Myself, who is going to try and kill me today????

I believe there are a lot more dangerous things that you can do in life.

And i certainly don't want to be an old man on my death bed, and think "I wish I learnt to fly".......

Guest Brett Campany

One thing that will be drilled into you during your training is how to deal with emergencies. You will also gain confidence in yourself and your aircraft as you log more hours in flying it.

There will always be a "fear" of kinds but as you do your training that fear will then become what I call an alertness for what could possibly go wrong.

Have faith in yourself and your aircraft, you'll be just fine mate, you already have that passion for aviation, this will just inspire you more and more to want to fly and learn!

Guest pelorus32

This is a really tough one. I flew as a very young person and then uni, job, mortgage, business, family...got in the road. Finally in my forties I went back to it.

I know to some extent what you are feeling. I've seen people killed in aircraft accidents and last January my cousin was killed in a mid-air - he was 17. I have a 17 year old daughter who is also a pilot.

Every time she flies, every time I fly, I think very hard about it. However the aviation safety guy - James Reason - has this saying: (something like) "chronic unease is the price of safety". So in a way you have the right attitude to make you safe.

Start your training, take it one step at a time. You will feel safer as you train and get your emergency procedures down pat. But never lose that sense of uneasiness.

Interestingly my wife is a willing passenger but she has a view that she never wants her two children in the same a/c together.

Regards

Mike

Hi...I am 40 years old...I was lucky enough to have enjoyed an aviation upbringing in North West Queensland where my dad flew sailplanes for many years.I have had the flying bug my whole life but sadly have never attained my license or flown much since I was 16 years old.

I became a follower of Ra-Aus aviation many years ago and even managed to convince my dad that ultralights were not the crazy dangerous machines we were raised to believe...He did an ultralight conversion with Trevor Bange on a Drifter at Rainbow Beach where he now lives...Sadly due to health and perhaps the death of his best mate/flying buddy in an accident on takeoff from Toowoomba several years ago he has not realised his dream of aircraft ownership...This accident really affected all of us and bought home the thin line that all pilots operate on. Even now years later this accident is something I think about often...and this brings me to my question.

I want...no...I need to fly. It is something I, like many others, have spent my whole life dreaming about. I now find myself in the position to be able, I believe, to afford it financially. It may mean tightening the purse strings a little for my family (I have a 5 year old daughter) but to me the inspiration to be had from flying far outweighs the financial cost.

But...something stops me every time I decide to commit...I have my partner who is quite happy with me getting my Ra-Aus license and buying a Drifter of similar...but I really don't think she understands the implications of an aircraft accident and she regularly says "How many seats does that one have?" with the idea that I can take the family for flights...

I am 67, and like you I have been around aviation all my life. Both of my brothers started flying when they were teenagers and I wanted to as well, but because of circumstances I never did, until recently. I now have 11.1 training hrs up, I did my first solo 2 days ago and I am enjoying the challenge.

My elder brother lost his life about 14 yrs ago practicing aero's, so when I started to think of learning to fly I also had reservations as well. My advise is go for it, you will not forget your friends accident but it will make you strive to be safe as possible while your up there flying and be very thorough on your pre-flight aircraft inspections etc. And that has got to be a good thing

Guest pelorus32
I am 67, and like you I have been around aviation all my life. Both of my brothers started flying when they were teenagers and I wanted to as well, but because of circumstances I never did, until recently. I now have 11.1 training hrs up, I did my first solo 2 days ago and I am enjoying the challenge.

Hey RR:

What about updating your blog...11.1 hours and solo....why haven't we heard about this?

Get off the forum and update your blog:cool:

Regards

Mike

Hey RR:What about updating your blog...11.1 hours and solo....why haven't we heard about this?

Get off the forum and update your blog:cool:

Regards

Mike

Sorry mate, Ive been working on it and it should be up tonight. (There are not enough hours in a day)

But in my defence I did post my solo on here so it gave me more time to update my blog 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif :hittinghead: 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

Guest pelorus32
Sorry mate, Ive been working on it and it should be up tonight. (There are not enough hours in a day)But in my defence I did post my solo on here so it gave me more time to update my blog 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif :hittinghead: 099_off_topic.gif.20188a5321221476a2fad1197804b380.gif

And what I really should have said is Congratulations!!! It's one of those things you'll never forget and a tremendous achievement.

Welcome to a very small and elite band!

Regards

Mike

Hi Winsor

Really good to read your post

My instructor always sais to me that the most dangerous thing about any flight i do is the drive to the airfield..

I also have been wondering if the uneasiness will leave me..I now have about 45 hours under the belt, but i still feel like my eyes dont stop moving the whole time im in flight, and i feel that being on edge as long as im not in prolonged periods of stress is actually a good thing in the air..It takes focus,nerve and calmness under pressure at different times, but the confidence seems to be coming the more i fly, and it is still VERY early days for me.

I guess that in your case, you have every reason to be fearful and wary of flight as you have seen the ultimate consequence of when things go wrong, but you obviously have a passion for it, and my theory is that life is too short not to do the things we want to do..And in my experience so far the joy far outweighs the risks, and the more training i do, the more confident i am that if something were to go wrong i would be able to put that training into action..

The biggest problem i am likely to have flying is me, so the more i can learn and the more i can stop rushing/ignoring bad weather/breaking rules/being comlacent in any way shape or form, the more chance i have of being a safe flyer.

I say get up there and have a look..if its unbearable, then you can always say you at least had another look, but if youre anything like me, youll be hooked again!!

Cheers

Guest basscheffers

You have to be realistic about the accident statistics; you are as likely to die flying light aircraft as you are riding a motorbike. Would you ride a motorbike?

Yes, there are true accidents, but just like it is the speed freaks that kill themselves on motorbikes, 9 out of 10 light plane fatalities seem to be because someone is being irresponsible when they should know better. You make your own luck; choose not to kill yourself.

And obviously I mean this with no disrespect to your friend as I know nothing about that accident.

Within just a few months I should have both my certificate and all the useful endorsements as well as (most likely) plane ownership. I can't wait to take my wife up and neither can she!

Well, I ride a motorcycle (for 48 years) AND I fly an aeroplane and I don't intend to die doing either. If you take what you are doing seriously then you wont get hurt. ( AND my wife is pregnant!) On the road you have to know everyone is out to kill you. In the air gravity takes over that task. Its up to you to do your checks, maintain your aircraft and keep watch. ALL the time.....That's why you see so many stupid car crashes, they are not taking driving seriously.....You can't just jump in and go. You HAVE to follow procedures and you will not get caught out...

agree.

You control your own luck to a great extent by how you operate (your attitude basically).

I agree with the 2 posts above.

Re motorcycles, I got my initial licence 53 years ago, but had my first motorcycle 6 years before that (A 1927 Waratah 2-stroke), and I have been a lot of places and have met some great people on motorcycles. Wouldn't be without one, but they are not safe, so you take extra care to maximise your chances of survival. Nev

Totally Agree with all, but Geoff saying you will not get caught out is not entirely true but with the intent you intended you are correct. If you fly and LEARN Correctly you will be able to use PROCEDURES of which have been mentioned to get down safely such as Engine failures, WX conditions of which are not as notam'ed ETC

YEP I have had my bike L's for 8 months and ride a CBR 125 Every day is an adventure .

Guest Brett Campany

There's a great story in this months Recreational Aviation Australia magazine about a bloke who's taken nearly 10 years to get his license, read up on that and you'll find it interesting I think!

http://http://www.youtube.com/user/winsor68?gl=AU&hl=en-GB

I do ride a motorbike...for about 2 years now...getting my license was the most thrilling and fulfilling thing I have done...I remember on the first day out on my bike I rode to the top of the Eungella Range and stopped and thought to myself....Flying next...I just wanted that feeling of freedom and accomplishment to go on forever...and I hope it will...Above is a link with Movies my dad took in North West Queensland of some of the flying he did..and a short movie I put together from the last Vets ride day in Mackay if anyone is interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel the same as you with the flying lack of confidence saw a person die on my first and last time at skydiving. I have been stopping and starting to get my licence since 1999!!

And I am about to have another attempt at it this week at Adelaide biplanes. Some people instructors have said to me if you are not enjoying it you should just burn your money and not waste your time flying.

I will not go to my grave saying I wish I finished my license I don’t care how much it costs.

All the best

Shafs

G'day Shafs, It's a beautiful day, calm day at Aldinga so relax and enjoy. Actually, you're probably up and flying as I write. What type are you flying and who's your instructor? Give us feedback mate, and don't be shy about making mistakes, we've all made them, and will continue to do so.

Hi

deskpilot i am booked in from Wed till sat to fly the sport cub i don't know who will be flying with. i hope to walk away with my change over from GA to RAA.

I will Post some pictures in the site soon.

shafs

Those SportCubs look like a bloody brilliant machine...It is almost tempting to travel to Adelaide to learn to fly in a Cub...They are my favourite machine. I have spent some time in the back seat of a Super Cub during glider towing. Please let us know what they are like.

Hi...I am 40 years old...I want...no...I need to fly. It is something I, like many others, have spent my whole life dreaming about. But...something stops me every time I decide to commit...I have my partner who is quite happy with me getting my Ra-Aus license and buying a Drifter of similar...but I really don't think she understands the implications of an aircraft accident and she regularly says "How many seats does that one have?" with the idea that I can take the family for flights...

Hello Winsor68,

As I understand it,studies show that the only two natural fears that we are born with are, "The Fear Of Falling" and "The Fear Of Loud Sound",all other fears are learnt from true life experiences.

In my opinion fear is not something to be eliminated but something to be controlled,fear can be a warning signal that something is wrong and we need to take action,what we realy need to know is,"Is the danger real or is it just a perceived danger",the correct assesment allows us to make an accurate decission,without any fear,how long would we survive?.

If you truely wish to fly,then choose a school with a good safety history and an instructor that suites your personal needs,you must be able to have confidence in the aircraft you fly and the instructor who is teaching you.

It is extremely important not to allow someone elses accident to undermine your confidence, most probably,there will always be accidents,we need to learn from them then move on.

Regards and all the best to you,

Frank. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif