New Database of 1465 airfields + all VFR Waypoints

Guest basscheffers

Guest basscheffers

Wanting to get some airfields into my rather simple Garmin GPS and into Google Earth, I went searching. I found a file with a fair few airfield, but also some HLSs. So I took the ERSA PDFs and decided to filter the HLSs out. (ERSA show the code and name, but not the coordinates...)

I then tested if there were any missing that have full ERSA entries and entered those by hand.

Because most small GPSs can't take more than 700-1000 waypoints, 1500 wasn't going to work, so I filtered then into a file per state, as well as one big file.

I also took all the VFR Waypoints from ERSA and converted these into CSV - also full and by state.

You can tell the difference between a waypoint and ALA by the way the name is formatted; ALAs are: "YPPF - Parafield" and WPTs are: "SUB + Substation".

Then I converted all into KML so you can view them in Google Earth also.

I did some random checks and some of the airfields are not very accurate, but they should get you within visual distance of where they are. You wouldn't leave without checking them on the map anyway, would you!? :)

I thought I'd share this with you folks, you may find it useful!

[ATTACH]7447.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7448.vB[/ATTACH]

VFR Waypoints.zip

Airfields.zip

VFR Waypoints.zip

Airfields.zip

VFR Waypoints.zip

Airfields.zip

Great stuff basscheffers :thumb_up:.

I tried to do this a while ago, but couldn't convert from PDF directly - I had to do a lot of manual editing because the formatting/flow seemed to change within the file, and the fields got out of kilter.

So well done!

• 4 weeks later...

There is a download section on this site that doesn't seem to be used very much.

Is this a good spot to store these files?

As I am only learning they are not useful to me YET.

Finding them easily later may be nice.:big_grin:

Ray

Guest Mark Mac

Aerodrome Approach Thresholds Google Earth Format

*** THIS FILE HAS NOW BEEN PLACED INTO THE DOWNLOADS:NAVIGATION SECTION ***

In keeping with this theme, please find attached a KML version of the Licensed Aerodromes Threshold Data from the Designated Airspace Handbook, AIP, Airservices Australia dated 20 Nov 2008. After loading this KML into Google Earth, you will have a list of the Airport Thresholds in Alphabetical Order by Airport. If you click on the Threshold name it will take you to a point 1 Nautical Mile from threshold, looking down the Approach with a 6 Degree Approach Angle (NOT 3 Degrees).

Hope some poeple may get enjoyment out of this. Particularly if you enjoy the Cirrus Simulator built in.

Mark

I downloaded the airfield database and printed it out (Vic. only) . I was planning to enter them into my Avmap. but the coordinates seem to make no sense, Or am I looking at them incorrectly? The data base places Apollo bay out in the ocean. What have I got wrong?

Guest basscheffers

They are in decimal format, you may well be entering them into AvMap thinking they are degrees and minutes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quickly, you guys are talking about formatting text files for Garmin GPS units.

I have a 96C and have a file with all the ERSA points. The thing is that I want to change things like symbols for certain things like VOR, DME, Airports, etc.

But I don't know how to do that.

Does anyone here?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Thanks Scott,

I have MapSource and have used various versions of it for about 7 years. It does not load Excel .csv files or Google Earth .kml files. These are the formats supplied in the files. The only formats MapSource can load are:-

Garmin GPS Database files (.gbd)

MPS Files (.mps)

GPS Exchange format files (.gpx)

LOC files (.loc)

The Waypoint and Airfield .csv or .kml files need to be translated into one of these generic GPS formats before it can be loaded into MapSource and transferred to the GPS. Once in any of those formats it can be loaded into almost any GPS (including Google Earth) but until then the only way I can see to transfer is to hand copy each waypoint and I don't really want to do that.

Regards

Philip

So you can load the points into google earth? Is that what you are saying? You have it as kml?

A garmin GPS can be plugged into a computer and the points and tracks downloaded from gps to google earth and saved in kml or gpx format, so I am guessing google earth lets you do the other way. I am not near my computer so can't check this at the moment for you.

Alternatively check out ie google DNR GPS. This free application is the easiest way to download tracks and waypoints from a garmin device offline. Save as gpx or kml, Then go to google earth and open the download in googl earth. Upload works too.

Let me know how you get on.

OK. Here is the definitive answer:-

MapSource does not load .csv (or .xls, xlsx, .ods or any other spreadsheet format files) so you need to convert the .csv file into a format that it can. To do this, use a program called PoiEdit (as an aside, PoiEdit is an example of CamelCAPS!). Download and install PoiEdit from http://www.poiedit.com and load the required .csv file into it. If there is an error loading the .csv file, it will tell you and give you the option of loading using a different format. Choose "Garmin Comma Separated".

The waypoints will be loaded and shown alphabetically as text on the right. You can then save the waypoints as a .gpx file. This .gpx file can then be loaded into MapSource and downloaded to your GPS. The .gpx files are also loadable by other GPS's and into Google Earth as well.

My GPSMAP 695 can have up to 3,000 user waypoints so I combined the waypoint and ALA files into a single EXCEL spreadsheet page and downloaded the lot to my Garmin.

My GPSMAP295 only allows 300 so using the DATA SORT options in EXCEL, you can define areas to cull based on latitude or longitude or you can manually delete those waypoints you don't need until you have a file with the number of waypoints you can manage.

Finally, PoiEdit is SHAREWARE, so please make a donation to the author as a mark of appreciation for his work.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Philip

• 2 years later...
Wanting to get some airfields into my rather simple Garmin GPS and into Google Earth, I went searching. I found a file with a fair few airfield, but also some HLSs. So I took the ERSA PDFs and decided to filter the HLSs out. (ERSA show the code and name, but not the coordinates...)I then tested if there were any missing that have full ERSA entries and entered those by hand.

Because most small GPSs can't take more than 700-1000 waypoints, 1500 wasn't going to work, so I filtered then into a file per state, as well as one big file.

I also took all the VFR Waypoints from ERSA and converted these into CSV - also full and by state.

You can tell the difference between a waypoint and ALA by the way the name is formatted; ALAs are: "YPPF - Parafield" and WPTs are: "SUB + Substation".

Then I converted all into KML so you can view them in Google Earth also.

I did some random checks and some of the airfields are not very accurate, but they should get you within visual distance of where they are. You wouldn't leave without checking them on the map anyway, would you!? :)

I thought I'd share this with you folks, you may find it useful!

[ATTACH]7447.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7448.vB[/ATTACH]

Good Day,

Is there an update to these airfields. This was in 2009.

Many Thanks

Vince