About having an ASIC Card Poll?

Admin

How have you found your ASIC Card?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. How have you found your ASIC Card?

• 4. I have one and found I have really needed it (by law)
    • 3. I have one but found I don't really need it (by law)
    • 2. I don't have one and found I have really needed it (by la
    • 1. I don't have one and have not needed one (by law)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In responding to the couple of posts about the hasslesof the lanyard, have you seen the great little leather wallet thingy that the SAAA have for ASIC Cards.

It clips closed when not in use and attaches over a shirt pocket or over your belt when needed, a little likesome plain clothed wallopers do with their warrant cards (sorry Stuart).

Works well I reckon and might be a good items for RAA marketing too.

See pic below.

Hope this is of use.

Geoff (3)

Captain

20061211_110648_IMG_6766.JPG.71e437719872825c396da2c03c8cc816.JPG

We aviators aint alone in this madness

I have just received a similar card through my work, after similar security and identity checks, and it has my photo and a holographic pattern on it too! It is required for me to enter dock areas, and to access shipping that we may be working on.

I have met fuel tanker drivers and drivers of other hazardous cargos who are tracked by gps, and have to phone in when they stop anywhere, or deviate from their planned route.

I met one contractor who installs cyclone fencing underwater around bridge pylons to stop terrorists placing bombs against them.

I have heard of security personnel who take part in a 24 hour per day watch on junctions where gas pipelines come out of the ground to cross a creek.

Madness.

Jack.

Paul - I look forward to meeting you. I understand Adrian is flying you back to Tocumwal to pick up your CT. Make it early if in the week please. I need his Jabiru on Thursday.Ross

The Jab's safe for Thurs Ross. If we go this week it will be Friday, so please don't bend the Jab on Thurs. We just have to work out how to get these forecasters to make the right noises ... Friday's looking a bit iffy at present.

Paul

Guest AusDarren

After several years of not flying, I went out got a fresh medical. (class 1 initial & ohh the drama..) Now my GA licence is an old one without photo. That is no problem, however to use the licence I have to hold either an AVID or an ASIC. The lowest cost option available to me was to get an ASIC issued by RAAus. So I really need it.. or my GA PPL is not valid..

Regards,

AusDarren

I like the idea of that leather wallet however what may be a good idea is to replace the press clip and replace it with a magnetic one so that when it is slipped into the top pocket it can be secured and not fall out when your bend over. Many large badgers are being made this way now so they don't damage the clothes and I have found that the magnet is quite strong anyway just a thought if the shop could source such a thing.

Don

There are now thousands of additional people who could get access to the secure areas of the major airports because they have gotASIC in order to fly from their local airfield.

I'm certainly not suggesting any of us/them are a threat but doesn't this actually increase the security risk ?

John

Guest AusDarren
what may be a good idea is to replace the press clip and replace it with a magnetic one so that when it is slipped into the top pocket it can be secured

the ASIC has a magnetic stripe on the back like a credit card..

A magnetic clip might not be a good idea it would probably render the stripe useless.

anyone know what the stripe is used (usefull) for?

Regards,

AusDarren

AusDarren I didn't realize that the card had magnetic strip so you are right it may not be such a good idea however just about every card in your wallet has a magnetic why don't they damage each other?

And I agree with you Ian all thisfoolishness has nothing to do with security those who are the greatest threat to this nations security are being allowed in by the droves and are making their presents felt.

Don

At Narrandera today 20061216 I had my second flight sessionin Wally Rudin's Tecnam P92after he did some running repairs. Wally had to tune & match the twin carbies after replacing some throttle springs - do not get it right and it sounds like a jack hammer. Wally had it really purring by the time he finished.

[ATTACH]1103[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1104[/ATTACH]

While I was waiting for my turn to fly second in line after the repairs there was another local from Leeton that flew in. We do not have a sealed strip at Brobenah or Jet fuel (or any other fuel).

[ATTACH]1105[/ATTACH]

The Tecnam panel is arranged a bit differently from the panel below in theJabiru that I trained in and hire periodicallyand am used to flying and probably is a little different from the A/C above.

[ATTACH]1106[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1107[/ATTACH]

Jab 55-3917 living at Griffith NSW (YGTH)is fitted with an engine driven vacuum pump to power the vacuum powered instruments.

One of the really big differences from flying the Jabiru is the down view from the P92 Tecnam over the nose so much so that the Jabiru flyer Tecnam novice like me is in danger of stalling the aircraft in the landing pattern because I am not used to having the nose so low. It really gives a great view forwards and below. You really have to be aware of it and keep that speed up. The view in the turn is not so good but I believe is improved in later models from this particular one.

Conversly in the Jabiru I tend to fly it too fast because of constantly wanting to lower the nose to see where I am going!

There was a mid air collision in the gliding competition at Leeton some years ago as a Club Libelle (fibre glass aeroplane)pilot virtually "ran over" for want of a better description anotherglider (wood and fabric covered)while going through the start gate ( a square kilometre in the sky with its base on the airfield). I saw what was left of the second aircraft a few seconds after the collision as I was taking some household rubbish to the Leeton tip which was on the western edge of the airfield. It had virtually exploded once it's fabric was ripped open in the collision. I must have heard the noise of the collision as I was only about three hundred metres from where the pieces landed. So I had looked up to seeone pilot hanging froma parachute and a great host of small pieces of aeroplane falling gently to earth.

The Club Libelle pilot decided he was going to jump and undid his seat belts and then changed his mind and decided to land on the airfieldnot far from the club house which he did without injury. After landing he discovered that his seat belt was still undone.

It is not unknown for glider pilots to be bounced out of their seats straight through the canopy or to be knocked unconscious by the canopy. So they never undo their seat belts in flight unless they want to get out! The parachute pilot only suffered minor injuries but probably walked halfway back to the club house before anyone was aware it had happened.

Regards

Ross

20061216_114351_Narrandera_2006.jpg.1174358f2a0d66f4cfe1b514de15a74f.jpg

20061216_114451_Narrandera_2006.jpg.cae9013016885d3f68b5ac8c3fd59ad9.jpg

20061216_114753_Narrandera_2006.jpg.d70b1aa1cc34f074e28567a8394199e3.jpg

20061216_115006_Narrandera_2006.jpg.42b5a26f9ae1cf8de68ed9a53fafc91a.jpg

20061216_135008_J3917_20050121_.jpg.65775e4025648b4eb438724c5e336098.jpg

Hi Danda

I don't go over to Narrandera very often (or anywhere else)but I have seen a number of satisfied people there who have come a fair distance by car to be trained by Wally. Ones that come to mind late this year were from Ivanhoe, Canberra and Wollongong plus of course people from all around this area.

I should go to Narrandera rather than Griffith as it saves me over almost 70 km for the round trip. I mainly did my Jabiru training at Griffith because they had a new Jabiru 2200and I was in the process of buying a Jab J160 kit.

Now I am getting my endorsement if you like for the Tecnam with Wally. He asked me if I wanted to go as PICyesterday but I thought at least another session with him was more appropiate. I was feeling a lot more confidant in the Tecnam after almost an hour of circuits.

Regards

Ross

Flying Squad & Random Audits of Secure Airports

If a large twin rocks up to your local airport and begins to unload off to the side of the main terminal, and they are all wearing navy combat gear - you are being audited!

Interestingly, they seemed more interested in the terminal area - never going near the hangars.

It wouldn't be a good time to be wandering around the airside without your ASIC though.

Gates

For those of you having problems with press button keyboard gates - try the local CTAF code, to the 1st decimal place only. Works most locations!

Swipe Cards

Usually you need to obtain these from the airport owner, and you need an ASIC to do this. There has been discussion about whether the opening and closing of gates will be 'logged' onto a PC via a wireless connection - but so far I've not seen any evidence of this. Shades of 'big brother' should this ever happen.

happy days,

• 4 weeks later...
Guest pecram air

ASIC For the Co-pilot

How does the Co-pilot (spouse) get an ASIC if they dont have any sort of licence but do own 50% of the aircraft. Every time I leave the air side (toilet breaks etc) she has to come to, Just In case officaldom raises its head :;)4: .

• 4 weeks later...
How does the Co-pilot (spouse) get an ASIC if they dont have any sort of licence but do own 50% of the aircraft. Every time I leave the air side (toilet breaks etc) she has to come to, Just In case officaldom raises its head :;)4: .

Just register as a student pilot then get one, you don't actually have to train.

• 1 month later...

Is this an anomaly in Subregulation 5.01?

As a Constable of Police in New South Wales, I beleive I am authorised to exercise the powers of an aviation security officer. I am expected to be ready to perform my constabulary duties 24/7. I don't have an ASIC card.

Do I need an ASIC card for when I pop out to the airfield on my rostered day off to chat with the fellows, or decide to go on a X-country? Isn't my Police ID (with photo) better than one of these cards?

Old Man Emu

Now that is an interesting question - Is a Police Officer checked out by ASIO every 2 years (or is the ASIC 3 years)?

This reminds me of you know how the papers are filled with corruption in our Police Force - Well my Great, Great, Great, whatever, grandfather came out on the First Fleet to Victoria. He was convicted of stealing some lead of a roof. Being a convict he served his time and then became the very first Chief Constable of Police :ah_oh:

He ended up being well regarded and for his services to the Police Force he was to be given some free land. The papers were prepared and were about to be sent off to England to be approved when he was accidentally killed. The land was the top end of Collins St here in Melbourne - True Story.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rocko

ASIC card strangeness

Actually, while I did get my ASIC card quite quickly, there is one thing that did confuzzle me.

It came in an envelope. It's a red card. It's not attached to anything

It has no hole in it. It has no strap for it. Certainly has nothing remotely resembling a lanyard for it.

So, I thoughts, how zigactly do I attach it to meself?

I had thought of a couple of different ways...

One of those cheap ****ty conference badge things they always give you at conferences. Then, it could slip out either side.

Had considered drilling a hole in it, but I was concerned it might coimpromise national security.

Even thought to just staple it to my forehead, but was worried I might get in trouble if my fringe grew...

So, finally, I came up with the "Dilbert" method...

I stuck velcro on the back, and thought to stick it on my chest hair!! Even better, as an added bonus, walking around the apron shirtless would be a sure fire way to attract wimmin!!

Now, this concept was flawless...except for the gaping flaw!

Chest ain't that hairy!

So, being a clever bugger, I made me some fake chest hair, to velcro my badge to!

So, I stuck the ASIC card onto the fake chest hair, and then I then stuck a lanyard to it, and wear it around my neck!!

BRILLIANT!!! GENIUS!!

Doesn't help with the wimmin-attracting, but heck if it don't keep my chest toasty!

keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Scotty - Redneck central

How long is it taking to get an ASIC card?

I just posted off my application yesterday to RAAus. Does anyone know roughly how long it is taking for them to be processed and returned at the moment?

Regards

Wayne