How hopeless is Telstra!!!!

Guest Brett Campany

Guest Brett Campany

Sorry but I just have to rant!

I've just sent A Current Affair an email in regard to how pathetic Telstra is.

I cancelled my Bigpond account in May of this year yet they still keep billing me $69 a month for an internet account that doesn't exist!

The account is now getting bigger and bigger and I'm just waiting for them to put a bloody debt collector onto me to chase up money for an account that I no longer have!

I've called them each time they sent me a bill after closing the account and each time they have told me that I'll no longer be receiving a bill, yet here it is, sitting on my desk in front of me for $123.09.

Funny thing is that it's showing different usage each month??? WTF????

Not only that but since daylight saving started over in the east and we no longer have it in WA I can't get hold of the billing service because it's closed already!!

This just makes me so angry!!!!

get a letter in writing from telstra, stating the account is closed and the date, it will come in handy when the debt collector arrives.

as they say, your only a telstra customer once. same thing happened to me.

Join the long list unfortunately. I was billed four times after closing my internet account in January. I must have rang at least ten times to sort the problem out only to be given lip service. My problem was my account was in credit a couple of hundren bucks so they just kept debiting it. Then they decided to change my billing address to a residence I'd not lived at for three years, then disconnected my home line as I hadn't paid my account wrongly believing I was still well in credit. Then wanted to charge for re-connection. Still gets me going just thinking about it. Thank god for VOIP.

My fun wasn't with internet but with Optus and a mobile phone. Cancelled the account then literally 7 months later got a big bill! I rung them up and they said nope, the account was not closed (why not bills for 7 months!)

It transpired that after I had my account cancelled, they rand my phone to confirm I _really_ wanted it canceled. Because I didn't answer the phone they decided I wasn't serious. I pointed out that the sim card was in the garbage so how was I going to answer the phone? The dick says, I gotta pay and I said I would prefer prison and they wont get a cent ever again. The third person I spoke too was reasonable and said they were idiots an fixed it (I assume it was nothing to do with the ombidsman complaint...).

In the age of computers I swear services are getting worse and people dumber.

Guest mike_perth

Easy fixed mate call the omnbudsman and tell them the issue also tell them you have written to Telstra already and want them to followup on your behalf easy!

Guest Brett Campany
get a letter in writing from telstra, stating the account is closed and the date, it will come in handy when the debt collector arrives.

as they say, your only a telstra customer once. same thing happened to me.

I asked for one last time and they refused to send one out. I'm going into a Telstra shop tomorrow and getting something in writing because it's ridiculous how this company treats people!

Guest Brett Campany
Easy fixed mate call the omnbudsman and tell them the issue also tell them you have written to Telstra already and want them to followup on your behalf easy!

Will get onto that first thing tomorrow mate, will be able to kill some time at work!

Guest Brett Campany
Brett, like most people in Australia, I have had accounts with Telstra since the days when they were called Telecom. But I finally despaired of them ever getting their act together and bailed - it had taken me 11 months to get them to stop charging me for a rental phone I handed in. I rang, wrote emails, wrote 2 letters to Solly and even an email to the Telephone Industry Ombudsman - got nowhere.

I used to get emails back from "Telstra Customer Service" (oxymoron!) from interesting people named "Princess", "Dionisio", etc. which included apologies for my dissatisfaction and urging me to ring 132200. No matter how many times I replied to them that I would rather gouge my left eye out with a blunt screwdriver than ever ring 132200 again I never got anything useful from them.

All this for a lousy $3 per month!068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Finally, when I rang up to cancel ALL my services from Telstra (landline, mobiles, ISP, Foxtel), I struck a bloke at Telstra Foxtel who fixed everything while I was on the phone. Consequently, I still have Foxtel but gave everything else the flick.

My current ISP/Landline supplier (WA based) is so wonderful by comparison there is no comparison. I get 8Mb broadband for what I was paying for 1.5Mb and, if you ring and don't immediately get to talk to an Australian they tell you they will call you back - and call you back they do! Great people and a pleasure to deal with.

Good luck and give 'em one for me.

Don

Nice work Don. I just can't understand why the so called "great Australian" as they used to be known has all turned to crap. Telstra is more expensive than any other carrier / provider in Australia and still they have the worst service to boot!

How can anyone deal with their kind of BS? It really makes me wonder how this company is still operating to this day.

I've sent an email to A Current Affair and as Mike has said, will be getting onto the Ombudsman first thing tomorrow. There's no way in hell that I'm going to put up with this crap from a useless company like Telstra!

:dog:

Guest Brett Campany

Again, I'm still on hold with Telstra. This guy reckons I won't get another bill again but give it 4 weeks and I bet you anything that I'll get another one in the mail.

They still refuse to give me any documentation regarding my account being closed as well.

Looks like I'll be heading down to a Telstra Shop to get the paperwork I need.

• 7 years later...

Telstra is in nmy opinion one of several businesses in Australia that keeps billing for services not used. The idea seems to me that there will always be a few people who pay up, so they make money.

Best of luck with the Telstra shop. I couldn't get a receipt out of them when I returned a phone, but they only tried to bill me for it for about six months.

Another business which is possibly worse is British Oxygen Company, Formerly CIG. They did put the debt collectors on to me and I received a very nice letter saying that I didn't owe any money. It only took about another six months.

This is the only way to deal with it. They are scared of the ombudsman.

This is the only way to deal with it. They are scared of the ombudsman.

Even more fun is get the call centre to give you the contact details for the ombudsman. You won't get it from the front line staff, but ask to talk to a supervisor and you will either get put on hold and cut off or if you spend an hour they will finally give you the contacts.

Ombudsman every time. Make sure you have done the right thing as far as notification and reasonable follow up action. Then don't mess around any further, just make sure you tell the ombudsman exactly what outcome you require. Applies to phones, mobiles, internet etc. regardless of the provider.

• Agree 1

Not all telstra shops are equal, some are franchises and have stuff all access or insight into telstra

In the real telstra stores theres often a senior person who can sort billing problems out

I've got some telstra stuff to sort out but have been putting it off....... just sick of the "hard sell" in their stores.

If it wasn't for the coverage, I would go over to Kogan pre-paid. Some very good deals there but on the Vodafone network....

Kogan Mobile Prepaid Plans | Kogan.com

Good morning

Welcome to Telstra

If your call is in relation to an account press 1

If your call is in relation to a mobile press 2

If your call is in relation to.....004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Heard it all before. Then when you finally get onto an operator whom speaks American Taiwan they have absolutely no idea where Melbourne is. Go figure...035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

How is that a communication organization has little or no idea on how to effectively communicate with their own customers. Having said that I think insurance, banking etc have all gone down the path of off shore and limited customer service.

Mmmm..014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Telstra complaints is in Adelaide and most of the call centre staff speak English fluently. They are the last people you talk to in Telstra before you get all the money they have taken under false pretences refunded. Once that credit was all chewed up by monthly line rental I cut off the service and haven't had a direct marketing call ever since. Happy days.

Telstra direct marketing. Now that is another joke. They have rung me up to get me to go onto different plans and I have to point out to them that the plan won't work in my location. I don't know why they couldn't find that out before ringing me.

Good morningWelcome to Telstra

If your call is in relation to an account press 1

If your call is in relation to a mobile press 2

If your call is in relation to.....004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Heard it all before. Then when you finally get onto an operator whom speaks American Taiwan they have absolutely no idea where Melbourne is. Go figure...035_doh.gif.37538967d128bb0e6085e5fccd66c98b.gif

How is that a communication organization has little or no idea on how to effectively communicate with their own customers. Having said that I think insurance, banking etc have all gone down the path of off shore and limited customer service.

Mmmm..014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Every time I get someone talking in a foreign accent, I ask them where they are from. When (not if) they say India or Philippines, I politely say to them, "You can't help me, can you put me through to someone in Australia please?" They do it every time, and every time my issue is sorted out straight away.The few times I don't do this, I have ongoing problems.

• Informative 1

We are lucky inasmuch as we have our lines under business so we have access to the business centre. I haven't called Telstra since, I always go straight to the business centre in Tamworth and talk face to face with a local and they do all the ringing for me. Can take just as long but so much less hassle.

• Like 1