The bars on shoulders. What do they mean?

flying dog

Ok, I don't want to sound like I want to be more than I am, but I am curious.

I have an RAA licence/certificate. I have 400+ hours logged.

I was asking another pilot (student I think) and was told their version.

They said that two silver is for private pilots.

Would it be pretencious of me to wear them?

I'm just asking. Most of the time I prefere to stay "off the radar" but sometimes it is nice to show who I am without going over the top.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So....

1 = Student

2 = PPL

3 = CPL

4 = ATPL

And gold ones are for the airlines...

Is this how it works?

Maybe RA-Aus can set up their own colour (bronze? red? purple?) and have our own little system - a new bar for each endorsement perhaps? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Once got hooked into a quick test flight with a 3 bar job in a Bongo (BN Islander). This guy had been flying full heavy loads up in the Torres straights in the thing. He said one engine was doing funny things. As we were taxying out I could see he was a little nervous, my survival instinct kicked in, and I asked him how many twin hours he had?. He replied proudly...almost 27 now ! I thought hell,...if we loose a donk, I'll be landing, cause he will loose it for sure.

We did a couple of circuts and yes, there was a minor engine problem, but it was fixed easily later with a minor adjustment.

After one take off I looked down between the seats, and there was a small pool of water on the floor. I looked up overhead to see where it was coming from, as the old 'Bongo' is known for overhead leaks. Couldn't see any, and then notice it was caused by sweat dripping off of the pilots' elbow !! True story....................................................................024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

The epilets I really like are the ones that are so worn out, that you can hardly count the bars anymore. Means the wearer either has a LOT of hours, or has spent a lot of time in the hanger helping the mechanics !!

...............................................................................................................:rilla:

Means your a wanker, and that you shout the bar if you forget to take them off in the Aero club !

Agreed 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif Was a bit of a airport bum with my old man as a LAME, also a ppl...and the same sort of attitude with the stripes at the aero club

I can understand them for commercial but for PPL it was a bit of a leftover from the war when all the discharged officers hung around the royal aero clubs needing to feel they were still on the top of the food chain. "fuel my kite for me like a good lad."

yeah right!

Wouldn't be caught dead wearing the things anywhere hereabouts BUT, 3 bars, an expired SPL and a teaspoon full of cheek once saved me from an uncomfortable discussion about my visa (or rather lack thereof) with a large gent carrying a rusty AK47 and bad attitude. They do have there uses augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif

i am divided on the bar issues, part of me wants everyone who flies to wear them, as you have achieved something a vast majority will never do... get a pilots licence, and all the hard work and study that goes with it. you deserve to wear them.

and if your a 2 bar PPL, and are having a chat with a 3 bar CPl holder, then you know you can ask him questions about CPL flying, or exams etc, and know he has done the work and earned the licence, and might be able to offer some helpful advice. etc.

and part of me thinks its an ego thing... which i dont see a problem with, nothing wrong with a bit of ego massaging every now and then, as long as it doesnt make you look like you are up yourself. it makes you feel better, and theres nothing wrong with that.

as for the bars themselves, from what i can gather from my RAAus flying, GA flying, and working next door to a big commercial school and with ATPL rated pilots. they seam to be this.

SILVER BARS

1 = SPL

2 = PPL

3 = CPL

4 = ATPL

GOLD BARS

1 = Grade 1 Instructor/ PPL

2 = grade 2 Instructor/CPL

3 = grade 3 Instructor/ ATPL

4 = CFI/ATPL Command

RAAus BARS.

1 silver = SPL

1 Gold = certificated pilot

2 Gold = Flight Instructor

3 Gold = Senior Instructor

4 Gold = CFI

now to make it official? anyone from casa want to enshrine these in CAO's?

(Moderated due to language - Ian)

Pretty much agree with them being wanker bars. Often when asked I will tell the pax you get a bar each time you crash that some times gets a laugh....

Airline.

Two bars = secound officer

Three = First officer

Four = Capitan

GA - General rule of thumb

Two = Junior pilot/pilot under training

Three = Line pilot

Four = Chief Pilot or Check and training

Gold or silver is usally just a company choice.

HI ultralights, i agree with everything you said, it is funny, that when i flew Ga, they all wore a uniform with bars etc, it does make sense i suppose in a major school, so new people could/can work out seniority etc. The funny thing is that a senior GA instructor might have i think around 500 hours or more in instruction. When i when back to ultralights, the great instructors might wear an old shirt, civilian cloths and have 5 000 hrs or so, in instruction. I think it make more students more comfortable, because they are dressed just like them. The big cpl pilot factories, everyone weres a uniform, because they will be wearing a uniform as part of their jobs in the future.I found that being ex-military, is that with everybody wearing the same uniform,it makes you feel that you are all on the same playing field and you all feel apart of -the same team. If that makes sense.I think it is all down to the employers etc. Cheers

i am divided on the bar issues, part of me wants everyone who flies to wear them, as you have achieved something a vast majority will never do... get a pilots licence, and all the hard work and study that goes with it. you deserve to wear them.

I agree with that Ultralights. It might seem a bit...poncy...to rock up in X-amount of bars and jump into an ultralight, but that ultalight pilot has still put in all that effort to get that certificate and deserves that recognition...

I have to admit I'd like the chance to wear epaulettes at least once in my life but I have a feeling it'll have to be at a fancy dress party of some sort 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Just for general interest- Wearing a uniform with epaulettes on your shoulders does ocassionaly have it advantages- i, years ago was up the sunshine coast doing a ANZAC parade, on the way back to Amberley-with my wife Driving, we got hit up the rear, by a young fella to busy looking at the price of fuel at a servo than looking at the red light ahead. Any way when i got out of the car in my service dress uniform (put my hat on HA HA). he nearly Shxt himself. He though i was a policeman (senior constable), who was i to set him straight HA HA. Anyway, he paid us straight away for the quote to fix the car.

(moderated due to language -Ian)