Flight Bag

Hey all,

After reading the other thread about Christmas presents, I'm thinking of asking for a flight bag for Christmas (since I must start navs at SOME point...).

The problem is that I have absolutely NO idea what I'm looking for. I've no idea about size (how much stuff do you need on navs?), number of pockets, anything! :confused: So, basically, I'm asking for any advice anyone has on flight bags...

I've also looked at the Crumpler range of bags (I've had one of their laptop bags for 4 years, used it daily and it still looks like new). I'd assume that their messenger bags are probably too big and don't have enough pockets but their camera bags with the moveable dividers could be a possibility?

I'm assuming I don't want anything too big though for ease of use though, since it isn't exactly THAT roomy in the plane...

Also, most flight bags don't seem to have a shoulder strap, is it generally not recommended to have a shoulder strap on a bag floating around the cockpit or anything?

Also, I have a LightSpeed Zulu headset which don't seem to fold away as small as some other headsets, has anyone had issues with fitting a LightSpeed into a normal flight bag? Do you need to allow any extra space at all?

Basically, any advice would be helpful because, as I said, I've absolutely no idea what I'd need or should be looking for.

Cheers :)

Sorry, I've absolutely no idea either 087_sorry.gif.8f9ce404ad3aa941b2729edb25b7c714.gif.

But as a photographer I do love the Crumpler range, nice stuff there ....

I'm kinda thinking in the Jab though that the weight of the bag might tip the scales, so I'm just gonna stuff everything I can into my pockets and what won't fit there will end up in the headset bag 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif.

I'm kinda thinking in the Jab though that the weight of the bag might tip the scales, so I'm just gonna stuff everything I can into my pockets and what won't fit there will end up in the headset bag 066_naughty.gif.fdb194956812c007d0f5d54e3c692757.gif.

The thing is, my pockets are already stuffed full and my headset bag is stupidly tiny - if you put more than a pen in there, it refuses to close i_dunno

I don't really even need a flight bag yet, I'm basically trying to think of things for flying that I'll need at some point and can use Christmas to get my parents to pay for 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I know I'll need one eventually though, so it's not a pointless purchase

A bit about my bag.

1. It is collapsible. IE. not hard sides. This is so when I take out my big stuff it takes up very little room.

2. Don't bother with lots of pockets. Carry your flight planning stuff in a pencil case. Then there is only one place to look for it! My pencil case is big enough to hold my whiz wheel, maps, weight and balance sheet (laminated), pens, pencils, spare headset battery, etc.

My current bag was $5 at a cheap as chips type place and only has one pocket. The pocket has my sunglasses, small binoculars, PLB and a small camera in it. that fills that up. The main part of the bag has my cap, kneeboard, headset and ERSA and 500ml water bottle.

My bag has a lot in it but everything is really easy to get to :-)

Guest Maj Millard

Somebody gave me an old sat phone once. I threw the phone away, but the bag is great and I've used it ever since. About the size of a laptop bag I guess. Plus people think I must really travel, carrying that sat phone around all the time.............. hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif!!

Guest check-in

Darky, if you drop hints about wanting a flight bag for Xmas, someone may in all innocence get you one of those slab-sided top-opening pilot's bags. Like the ones the young airline pilots lug around with Boeing stickers (look at me, look at me) on them. You do NOT need one of those! They carry far too much, are heavy even when empty, useless to access in a cramped cockpit (any cockpit in fact) and do not stow well in small lockers.

A soft bag like a laptop bag which enables you to have your charts accessible and reasonably protected when not in use would be a better way to go. Or something lke a motorbike tank bag (minus the magnets!). I have a beauty which has a clear plastic top so that one map can be face-up to enable it to be referenced while riding. I don't use it when I am flying because I don't want to cut the magnets off and in any case am at that happy stage where I don't bother with whiz-wheels and protractors etc to find my way around the sky, so I only carry a few essential charts to avoid controlled airspace and a motor-bike atlas and not much else (CASA would have a fit). This bag doubles as a small back-pack, so that takes care of the carry strap issue. There are several good ones on the market, but because they have to be water proof and obviously have to stick to the bike somehow, are not cheap.

But I repeat, if you go for a motorbike tank bag, lose the magnets. Wear a shirt with a pocket big enough to hold the whiz-wheel, so it's always there when you need it - which will be often while training. By keeping it simple it will force you to be organised and you will enjoy it better that way.

Darky, Clear Prop has a vast range of flight bags in stock - from the big blue Captain's bag, Navigators bag right down to luxury head set bags - so you are always welcome to come over and have a look at them all to see if there is any one that you like.

I use a soft sided carry bag like a laptop bag for my flight bag. This has everything I need in it and stays in the car, but all I take in the aircraft is my headset bag (generic model from Clear Prop for about $25). This has a large pocket on the front for my maps, print outs of the relevant ERSA pages, timer and checklists, a pocket on the end for my GPS (Garmin ETrex h) and pen pockets on the other end. The only other thing I take is my kneeboard with flightplan, nav log, E6b, pens etc. My phone is in my pocket and my cap is on my head:ecstatic:

What more do you need?:thumb_up:

Has anyone used/seen/borrowed/*insert appropriate verb here* one of these as a flight bag (or at all?)?

Crumpler - Barney Rustle Blanket

It looks like a good size, not too bad but roomy enough for my LightSpeed headset etc. I've had a Crumpler bag for the last 4 years at uni, used it daily, and despite all the crap I put it though, it still looks like new so I know it's a good brand.

But yeah, any opinions?

Never owned a flight bag. I am still using one of the old DCA Visual Chart folders, made of plastic and opens out to give 3 deep and 2 shallow pockets. Would be easy to make a copy of card and plastic, or even 1 side light plywood.

Hi Darky,

I have the Jepsen Student Bad (available from Clear Prop)

It is the perfect size for what I carry:

Headset

Knee board

Logbook

GA License and med book

RA Manual

and with room left over. It's not huge but worth checking out.

Goodluck.

Cheers,

J

Hi Darky,I have the Jepsen Student Bad (available from Clear Prop)

Shags, I see on your blog that you've flown a Jab, is the Jepp student bag small enough to easily shove into the baggage area behind the seats?

Current plan is the Jepp student bag, seems a good size and I like how the zipper is on top, so you can leave it open and easily dig around inside with one hand if needed...

And if I put it on my christmas list, I'll be putting the clear prop web address next to it, don't worry Ian :big_grin:

I can get you the dimensions for it tonight if you like.

That'd be awesome, cheers :)

Are there pockets inside as well or do you have to dig around all the time to find things? (having said that, I'd be too lazy to put things back in their pockets even if they were there, so it probably wouldn't make any difference)