Dynon Skyview - simply amazing!!!

Guest Brett Campany

Dynon.

Think I might be getting converted. There is a lot of support on their website too for any problems that you might have. The one hour battery is a great idea. These things just get better all the time. Nev

Prices are on the website,

7" Screen, Efis module, engine module and BU battery $4680 USD

Also need engine probes ~ $1K id guess

Engine install is fairly involved, rest is easy

Skyview GPS isnt availiable for a while yet and Autopilot doesnt work with it yet either.

Thye are a good company and have a good support from other users on the web

Upgrades keep on coming and are a download via a laptop

They have even offered 50% trade in from older Dynon systems

JR

Prices may be on the website, but to work out exactly what you need to get is beyond me. I can look at the website, and still not know what probes etc are necessary. What I would like to see is a list of requirements to do each job. Without that I am sticking to steam gauges where the requirements are obvious. Maybe I should write to the manufacturers and ask exactly what i need to achieve my ends.

Hi JayKay,

That is why I was looking at the Odyssey, it comes with the whole kit of censors as a standard price and ok you need the likes of oziexplorer and the aviation maps, we are talking less than $500 here but and this is a big but all the sofeware is in place, is available now, is Australian produced AND you can get a 3 axis auto pilot by simply purchasing the servos and an expansion module a total of about $900. What can sykview give you now, this minute and straight off the shelf?

Bob.

Hi Icebob,

My understanding is that the Odyssey is a joint effort between MGL in USA and South Africa

see: About Us

and: http://www.mglavionics.co.za/

For me it's not just a matter of price. When buying technology, I'm looking for a large company with lots of users and demonstrated/proven support. Lots of users means that I'm less likely to be the guinea pig who first finds the bugs.

For me Dynon fits my requirements better than MGL. I've used Dynon products. I like what they do and I like Dynon support. I don't know anything about MGL except that they don't use any 3rd party software products and build everything themselves (including the operating system). That sounds like a huge task even for Superman.

Hi,

I take your point that it is a individual decision and likes and dislikes come in to play.

I can only speak from experiance that the Odessy "out of the box" did all it said it would.

MGL's web site and forum have offered fixes to a number of issues quickly(I have not needed any help). I like the fact the whole software can be downloaded to a data stick for safe keeping and the unit allows for conection to a computer.

MGL has sold considerable numbers of units, just not that many here in Australia,yet, mainly to GA. and gliders in other countries.

Bob.

Im a bit concerned, about, with all this modern avionics we are having available, to us now an in the future, will pilots flying VFR, remember to keep their eyes out side the cockpit, looking for colision risks etc. Instead of looking inside the cockpit. Especially with this synthetic Vision Tech, we are seeing.Cheers

• 3 months later...
I've ordered a J230D with SkyView. Will be delivered in March 2010. The initial release of SkyView will have limited functionality, but with software upgrades it promises to far surpass any Oziexplorer product.

Hi Jay Kay, has your jabbi been delivered yet, if it has i was wondering how the skyview is performing.I am interested in both the Skyview and the MGL products.Thankyou

• 1 month later...
Hi Jay Kay, has your jabbi been delivered yet, if it has i was wondering how the skyview is performing.I am interested in both the Skyview and the MGL products.Thankyou

This is a few months old, i am wondering, how are people finding the skyview here in OZ .It looks like a very nice peice of kit. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

It's going to be factory built. They don't have a price list yet, waiting for that but when I talked to them at Natfly they were working on an installation. Saw the demo unit at natfly and was impressed. I also sent a note on the forum for PocketFMS and they MIGHT be creating an upload for their flight planning software. Can't wait, just have to make sure I fly the plane.

I'll tell you in August when I get mine in a J230...

Thanks mate, it looks really easy to use, going by the u tube video.I like how you can pop up PFD, GPS and engine monitoring display, by just a couple of button pushes.I also like how the engine display has default programs for the Rotax, lycoming and continental .It is also easy according to the video to set up the engine display (in your case jabiru), or any other engine.I like how you can set up the engine monitoring to flash up on the PFD, when certain parameters our exceeded, eg- oil temp, to high or to low, voltage to low etc etc. I think you have made a great choice of avionics mate. Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Im looking at putting a skyview in a Jab 230D aswell. Any chance you might be able to post or send me a photo of your panel. Very interested in layout. Also, if not too imprudent of me, could you tell me what the cost of skyview plus installation was.

Cheers

Nick

Last I heard from Jabiru they were still working on the details and pricing. They will be starting the production soon so hopefully they work it out soon. I'll follow up asap...

• 2 months later...